Lt. Commander
# 11
03-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Apparently, all of this hubub has already been documented in the wikipedia STO article
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuichii View Post
The PR dept doesn't look over the forums, that's why they hired Awen. They and Cryptic are prolly clueless about what is going on. Email them directly to let them know what is going on.

PR@crypticstudios.com
Actually I told on myself. I'm unfailingly honest. *sigh* They are aware of what is going on completely here.

And to be fair, Nobody ever blamed the community. Because of the blacklash, I want to ensure that it doesn't happen again. I'm working on making this unit happy.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
The prizes promised get people interested and make them give their best, but when it comes to terms of the selection of the winner the people are likewise precise. This entire incident happened because the people took the rules like they were, as rules. And I can understand how that upsets people especially in a case where they really want to win, because the stakes are as high.
But what happened in the thread regarding the winner went out of bounds (sadly this includes me as well) In the hope that we all learn from our mistakes, I think future contests should still have a prize, so people have a reason to participate, other than just good will (which I think you still have plenty of here in this forum)
So i hope that despite those recent events we did not spoil your enthusiasm about this community and I hope that future working with us will still be benefitial to both you and the community.

I already apologized to NeoWolf but i want to do it again so everyone who had to read it.
I too stepped out of bounds, big time in that thread and used words that should best be erased. So everybody who felt attacked or repelled, I am truly sorry for what i wrote.

However I am not going to edit the entry in order to have it as a reminder to what can happen if we get too agitated with a discussion (it has happened before, i have seen it, i am just not sure if it was ever that bad...
€dit: Seems like this was has already been done for me... so no reminder anymore...
Again Apologies.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrWoof View Post
Seems pretty simple. If it's random, people will simply complain there was no creative thought involved, and that they should have won because of that!
lol "And the winner of these months alien ID contest was this entry": This alien is green and has horns. "Congratulations to him!!"
Lt. Commander
# 15
I would like to say that if you all do a lotto. for people to get a key that did have the 300 max I would be more then happy to take my name out of it. It would be the right thing for you all to do an only right for me to not be in it.

I did have 296 Words but For what I have posted I see that I should not be in the Drawing if you do one.
Lt. Commander
# 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
Too little too late. You fail at your job, in my view.
This is NOT constructive and will not serve to bolster our community here. Please let's refrain from this childish behavior.

That said...

Awen. I feel like there's a level of you taking the personally, like we don't respect your choice and therefore we're going to a lottery system. And I want to stress that's not the case. It was a great story.

Going to a lottery system is not the way to offer incentive for your forum members to test their creativity. You're going to get a lot of "I can haz beta slot becuz I iz Kurk!" instead of actual submissions. Will those be part of the selection pool?

I don't envy your position in all this. But I want to stress - the rules that your team set out are so important to gamers and Trek nerds like ourselves.

I hope you'll reconsider about the lottery. And I wish you personally all the best.
Lt. Commander
# 17
First off, I haven't congratulated the winner yet, so let me do that now... congratulations.

I didn't enter this time around, so I've no particular axe to grind on this. I can understand what happened, perhaps the best way forward is to offer the beta prize to the runner up as well and put their entry up as joint winner. Maybe even give someone else a runner up prize.

In the future, I would like contests to stay based on the merit of the entry. I don't see the point of even doing it if it's basically a lottery (unless it is an actual lottery, but that's different). I'm aware that you don't have to do this and appreciate the effort the Community Team goes to here.

Anyway, I'm going to wait for the next starship you reveal. [martianstylejedimindtrick] It will be the Akira class [/martianstylejedimindtrick]
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-25-2009, 11:48 AM
where can we see the Runners up entry?
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Apparently, all of this hubub has already been documented in the wikipedia STO article
Man, some people don't mess around do they?
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
It's a shame that the decision was made to about future contests being a lottery, I'd rather see the current encouragement of creativity on the hands on the fans

Maybe instead include an option for an "honorary mention" for entries that stand out so much (even if they break some of the rules such as word count). These could then be shortlisted with the runner ups(depending on number) just before Beta opens and allow the community to vote on their favorite and be awarded a beta key?
Closed Thread