Lt. Commander
# 61
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
In almost every setting I've been in, a word limit just give the reader the right to make the decision to not read it or stop reading at any point. When I'm writing grant proposals I am fully aware of this. If I go over, I know that it better be interesting enough for the reviewer to keep reading, or my proposal will be incomplete. Sometimes it's a risk i'm willing to or have to take.

The same applies to this contest. The response was well written enough in Awen's mind that she would still give him the victory. It was worth reading to her and the people she gave it to. The author took a risk and was rewarded, sounds like someone I know, Kirk maybe?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...in-kirk-do.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moryan Sorg
In almost every setting I've been in, a word limit just give the reader the right to make the decision to not read it or stop reading at any point. When I'm writing grant proposals I am fully aware of this. If I go over, I know that it better be interesting enough for the reviewer to keep reading, or my proposal will be incomplete. Sometimes it's a risk i'm willing to or have to take.

The same applies to this contest. The response was well written enough in her mind that she would still give him the victory. It was worth reading to her and the people she gave it to. The author took a risk and was rewarded, sounds like someone I know, Kirk maybe?

That might work for a good story or school but in real life contests it's a no no. Kirk in real life would have gone to prison long ago. And his cheating would have landed him an F grade.
Lt. Commander
# 63
I didn't enter the Alien Identification Contest -- I mention that so that there'll be no complaints that what I say next is motivated by direct self-interest.

1. The rules of the contest which many submitters say they followed should have been enforced. Not to do so sets a bad precendent, not just for a forum contest, but for an online gameworld as well.

Will there be rules of conduct inside Star Trek Online that Cryptic chooses not to enforce for some players?

I assume that won't be the case, but a reasonable person watching how even a simple forum contest is handled might wonder.

How well Cryptic is seen to enforce the rules of play in a game forum contest sends a message about how it can be expected to handle the rules of play in the actual gameworld.

2. I thought some people overreacted. I don't defend that. But I hold a community rep to a higher standard. I expect more deliberation before posting, particularly when the subject is something that's got people worked up.

Chastizing community members for the way in which they expressed their disappointment is understandable. But it couldn't help but come across as criticizing them for the reason for their disappointment, which was that someone who didn't follow the rules they followed would be rewarded. That seems doubly unfair.

Better might have been to hold off on all official responses to community members on this matter until the community reps and producers had a chance to discuss what happened and why, and to form a reasonable plan for responding to valid community concerns.

Declaring that contests were now done with, and that a lottery might be the replacement, seems like an overreaction, even if it was a decision imposed from On High. (Implying that this decision was the fault of community members expressing their unhappiness with how the contest was managed, however, was particularly unhelpful.) Surely there were better ways of addressing the problem of contest rule enforcement?

As a constructive suggestion -- assuming the possibility of contests is reconsidered -- I'd recommend having a intern enter any contest just like a regular forum member. When their submission is received, sit down with them and ask them why they wrote it as they did. If there was some rule that they followed that had gone unnoticed or been forgotten, this conversation will serve as a useful reminder of the expectations that regular forum members are likely to hold.

In other words, treat a contest much like you would a change to a code file for the game: submit it to peer review before announcing a winner. That's how bugs are prevented from biting one's customers -- nothing's perfect, but peer review is immensely helpful.

At any rate, I'm sorry this contest blew up into something not fun for anyone. It's unfortunate for everyone -- those who entered the contest, those who won it, and those who administered it.

Third time's the charm?

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 64
Quote:

The same applies to this contest. The response was well written enough in her mind that she would still give him the victory. It was worth reading to her and the people she gave it to. The author took a risk and was rewarded, sounds like someone I know, Kirk maybe?

That would be another way of solving the issue. Instead of stipulating that players must adhere to the rules (which include a 300 word limit) or have their entry be disqualified. Stipulate that Cryptic guarantees that the first 300 words of every entry will be read, but anything beyond that is read at their discretion. Such that if you're really creative in the later stages of your entry you're taking a risk in whether or not you've held the reader's interest that long.
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
That might work for a good story or school but in real life contests it's a no no. Kirk in real life would have gone to prison long ago. And his cheating would have landed him an F grade.
Grant proposals aren't real life? That's not what NASA and the fed government tell me.
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
Granted, I actually do think that random lotteries are, in the interest of fairness, the best way to go.

However, if people REALLY don't want to sacrifice creativity, such "contests" could always be relegated to games held just for fun. I mean, there's no reward for the Kobiyashi Maru segments, right? Though I realize that no winner in declared in those posts.

If a winner is declared in a contest that is just for fun, then I don't think they'd result in nearly as much animosity toward the judges and managers of such a competition when they make mistakes. Or maybe they just get something simple like a T-shirt mailed to them or some other inexhaustible reward, such that players aren't competing for a limited number of beta slots.
i agree with this, i think we should have contest like the kobiyashi maru. they are fun do to.
the only reason i didnt submit to the ailen pic contest because i really couldnt comeup with any for it. unlike the pic with the planet. would i like to have my story rewarded honestily no, i would rather have the com reps like it and send a message to me.

as far as awen i like how she runs these boards and contests. and i hope she keeps up the awsome work she as done so far.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Grant proposals aren't real life? That's not what NASA and the fed government tell me.
I'm not sure how you roped together Kirk's breaking the rules, which was almost always to help people, to taking chances with grant proposal documents in relation to the rules broken in the contest.

They don't seem similar to me at least.
Lt. Commander
I know I don't post much but I try to read up between flights. After catchin up on this topic on the multiple threads, I think I should drop my recommendation.

Cryptic,give Awen a raise or some paid vacation or something!

You couldn't pay me enough to take this kind of repeated lashinig and not lose it. I understand both sides of the conflict, but come on is it really worth making someones life miserable? Yeah, obvious mistakes were made, and everyone has a point. It was a good story... the guy used 609 words... blah blah blah....

If I was the one that messed up, I would have jotted down a black-list of the mouthy folks labeled "snowballs chance in hell of getting a slot." And If I was the runner-up I'd have a beef.

Just remember:

It's just a game, you didnt get ripped off by Madoff or beaten by ol Chris Brown. Each of us was born with inalienable rights but playing STO or getting a Beta slot was not one of them.

And

Now we all have and idea of what every other command officer that graduated around the same time of J.T.Kirk felt like! If your mad, take that anger and embrace it and you will become more powerful than... wait wrong series... well do whatever Picard would do.

BOATS AND H*ES!!!
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Who cares how long it was? Its just a fun little contest. It's not anything else. I think some should really check themselves and stop blowing this way way way way out of proportion, and those coming down on Awen over such a silly and inconsequential matter should be ashamed of themselves in my opinion. Some of the things I've read from people upset about this minor thing have frankly made me embarrassed to be part of this community.
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
Who cares how long it was? Its just a fun little contest. It's not anything else. I think some should really check themselves and stop blowing this way way way way out of proportion, and those coming down on Awen over such a silly and inconsequential matter should be ashamed of themselves in my opinion. Some of the things I've read from people upset about this minor thing have frankly made me embarrassed to be part of this community.
Amen brother. Frankly, I think Awen needs a medal (and probably a stiff drink) for putting up with some of this. It's supposed to be fun, they'll probably be handing out the beta slots like sweets nearer the time anyway.
Closed Thread