Lt. Commander
# 81
03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
<copied from my post on the 'other' Contest thread>

While this contest was the unfortunate victim of human error (which we're all subject to from time to time), I would urge everybody here to remember that the outcome of a single contest has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the product that Cryptic is producing. The forum team is not the development team. Regardless of your feelings about the community and the management thereof, any opinions about STO should be based on STO itself, rather than its forums.

If all games or other projects were to be judged based on their online forums, I can think of precious few that would meet with any approval.

I understand the confusion and even some of the anger surrounding this incident; a contest's rules should remain firm when they are so explicitly worded. What I don't understand is how some individuals here can take a couple of honest mistakes and declare that they are grounds for boycotting STO or cutting people's jobs. Awen has been very honest and forthright about what has happened. There's been no attempt to conceal the truth. She has apologized, and it seems to me that she's trying to work with the community to ensure that this problem is dealt with, now and henceforth.

I don't agree with the solution Awen has proposed, namely that all contests will become lotteries. I think that is something of an overreaction to a problem that can readily be solved. A year or two ago, there was a contest (unrelated to STO) to write a "Kirk versus Picard" script. In that contest, peer reviews and votes counted for a great deal. I think that opening a limited number of Cryptic-selected entries to community votes would be the best policy in the future. That way, we can more easily police entries to ensure they are within contest rules, and we have only ourselves to blame when we do not win.

I'm sorry that there are so many hurt feelings over this. In my opinion, we should pick up the pieces and move on -- leave any grudges or unpleasantries behind. This is a game community. There's no need for any of this vitriol.
Lt. Commander
# 82
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
here i was trying to do the decent thing and read all the replies, and every time i went to the next page, there were two more! so sorry if i'm repeating what someone has already stated.

It's good that an appology came, but not good that there still seems to be no acceptence that the short story shouldn't have won. Yes it was a good story, and i've already congratulated the winner, but the point is, if it had been 300 words like the others, it probably wouldn't have been so good.
I think it's necessary here to point out that everyone is saying all this about this person's story, which i repeat, WAS GOOD, but maybe someone should spare a thought for how the winner is feeling now that the community seems to be showing all this anger towards him/her... i know if it was me, i wouldn't want to show my face.

Another point to be made would be that people say here that they're not complaining because they've lost a shot at Beta, but because it was judged infairly... why then are people saying they don't want a lottery for Beta? It doesn't stop there still being competitions for stories to go up on the front page of the site, that in itself is mainly the reason i entered the competition, yes it'd be nice to win a slot at Beta, but that wasn't my main reason for entering.

So, in all honesty, i fully agree with Awen's decision to do a lottery based on registered users to pick beta, but please don't stop the creative contests!
All i'd say, is that perhaps people just want an acknowledgement that it was unfairly judged (although i suppose you've already done that in not so many words.)

I'd like to also point out that Awen is a person, not a God (Although some may think so :p) everyone makes mistakes, and the 'attack' back at the community and blaming the community, isn't Awen allowed to get angry at the way people were acting?

But as has been said, let's live and learn. If people aren't big enough to learn from this and move forwards, (as Awen has done herself) then what hope have we got as a community. We're at the start of a journey together, lets learn to get on well now because if we can't, well i bagsy the cryo-stasis bed until arrival at destination.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out cos some people seem to be missing this having been said, (it was buried half way through the posts) the Lottery will be based on registered users, not a lottery of contest entries (if there were further contests, these would be judged by the book i believe, not by lottery.)

NB: Awen - maybe this can be edited on the opening page? so that it clears up the confusion?
Lt. Commander
# 83
03-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjet View Post
I'm not sure how you roped together Kirk's breaking the rules, which was almost always to help people, to taking chances with grant proposal documents in relation to the rules broken in the contest.

They don't seem similar to me at least.
This'll show you exactly how they relate:

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/...k-awesome1.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 84
03-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I share what seems to be the majority of the forum members opinion that this was judged unfairly. However I've said my piece and that, along with Awen's apology, is enough for me. Calling for Awen's resignation is going too far guys IMO. I'm sure it's a tough role, and sure mistakes were made, but Awen overall is a good intermediary between us and the dev team. I know I wouldn't want to take on the role that's for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 85
03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Funny thing is, people are worked up on both sides. People are worked up about how the contest was handled, and other people are worked up about how the first group is worked up. The second group just seems to think their the only ones who have a right to get worked up about something they disagree with
Well I do mean people on all sides of the argument. I've read queries from members about the 300 words rule that seemed polite and reasonable to me. It's the few who take things just a little too far and personally [in all camps] that need to get a tighter grip of their horses. Our right to expression is guaranteed and the right to ban individuals is reserved, so if people wish to express their anger and still be heard on the other side of it, they need to temper themselves and follow the old rule of not posting anything they wouldn't find intolerable themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 86
03-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Congrats to the Winners.

Kudos to Awen for acknowledging the error.

It is a PR contest, not an election. It is supposed to be for 'fun', and no reason to be so petty about it. There are things in life, where we let things 'slide' -- PeeWee sports, girlfriends playing Pool, forgiveness loans to children and parents, splitting the check at dinner, speeding, being late to work, leaving early, reading the STO forums while on the clock, etc.

Everyone has things slide their way at one point or another in their life. This is just another example of that. Cut them some slack.
Lt. Commander
# 87
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Hmm one big live beta lottery would be cool for the first wave of beta keys everyone could watch and hope that their name would pop up
Lt. Commander
# 88
03-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Well I don't know about anyone else but I was there on the frontlines when they had not admitted the mistake and were indeed attacking us for having the cheek to point out the error...tempers were high all round and rightly so.

But then Awen admitted the mistake and apologised and that for me was the end of it.

The responsible thing was done, they handled it poorly initially, but did their best to end it on a positive by doing the right thing and really for everyone that should be enough, time to move on.

Regarding calls for her to be fired or to resign, I must have missed those, but that is certainly an overreaction. she made a mistake, she is only human and she does a tough job for which we mostly cut her little slack and that was merely a temporary hiccup in the scheme of things that she has as I say apologised for.

Also although the circumstances under which he won were less than idea thanks to said hiccup, TheHybrid's entry nevertheless was an enjoyable read, and none of this was his fault, so I would hope everyone, as I did, at least has the good grace to congratulate him if nothing else.

I have spoken to him earlier and he was willing to forgoe his beta spot to make things right with US the community if we thought we had been sleighted by him personally, which I think was a very selfless and sincere gesture and not one any of us would truly wish him to take.

I know this hasn't been a good situation for any of us who took part in the contest, but the apology has been made, the virtual olive branch offered, the lesson learned and the message recieved.

With that in mind I would ask that we all allow the matter to now rest with the best of intentions and the hopes that future competitons will occur with less controversy, and now instead return to what we all do best and anticipate this game and its features.

PAX
Lt. Commander
# 89
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Author of this drivel needs good talking to from parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr..._Controversies

Encourage all to delete it.
Lt. Commander
# 90
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post

There are things in life, where we let things 'slide' -- PeeWee sports, girlfriends playing Pool
lol I love that
Closed Thread