Lt. Commander
I've recently been looking into the various science skills in the game which really work and look nice but I have noticed that there are no temporal abilities. In the game Star Trek Armada, the Nebula Class Science vessel had an ability called the "Gemini Effect" which allowed a ship to be duplicated within the same space and time. What would be cool if there could be a Federation science ability which would allow you to target a friendly and duplicate them for 60 seconds, creating an npc copy of the ship which would fight and then dissapear, similar to Photonic Fleet.

This could open up a brand new field for science within Temporal Research with abilities like a temporal distortion that would allow you to hold a certain ship in place and disable weaponry for 10 seconds. This would help the science ships to really find their own in STO as I do so a lot of them complaining that science has lost its bite.

What do people think? This could even lead to a ship similar to the wonderful Premonition Class. *sighs and dreams*
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Powers that take away a player's ability to act are bad, and should be forever erased from the MMO world. There is nothing more frustrating in an MMO than losing control of your character.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Powers that take away a player's ability to act are bad, and should be forever erased from the MMO world. There is nothing more frustrating in an MMO than losing control of your character.
Its like "Mind Control" in WoW... however its nice to be stumped somehow, I am not suggesting taking away complete control. Maybe only taking away bridge powers and being slower to respond through "Time Dialation" maybe?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-25-2010, 01:48 AM
I think you are on a good direction Op.

I like the idea about duplicating a ship temporarily like in Armada. That would be a great ability if you try to save some one dieing. Just think if some one is about to pop you could hit duplicate and then they would be transferred to the duplicate while the original is destroyed.. Basically jumps a copy of their ship into the future just for a moment enought to bump the ship and its crew into the future while the ghost copy is left behind to disappear or be destroyied.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW007
I think you are on a good direction Op.

I like the idea about duplicating a ship temporarily like in Armada. That would be a great ability if you try to save some one dieing. Just think if some one is about to pop you could hit duplicate and then they would be transferred to the duplicate while the original is destroyed.. Basically jumps a copy of their ship into the future just for a moment enought to bump the ship and its crew into the future while the ghost copy is left behind to disappear or be destroyied.
Thank you. Yeah I really like that idea, it would be STO's version of a ressurection spell.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCelestalis View Post
Its like "Mind Control" in WoW... however its nice to be stumped somehow, I am not suggesting taking away complete control. Maybe only taking away bridge powers and being slower to respond through "Time Dialation" maybe?
Still an incredibly bad idea, compounded by the very large mistake of comparing STO to WoW.

We already have abilities in game that put powers on cooldown. That essentially "takes away" bridge officer powers. I consider it to be very overpowered to be able to do that to a player, no matter WHAT counters are available. For the average player to enjoy an MMO, they have to feel "in power". Taking away their ability to do something eliminates that feeling, and just leads to frustration.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Agreed, and the devs that came up with them shot.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-25-2010, 03:25 AM
I disagree, there is a line making people "feel powerful" because feeling powerful often leads to overconfidence. I think that game would not be harshly affected by temporal powers if everyone has the option to obtain them. With respect, I think you are being a little mellow-dramatic.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCelestalis View Post
I disagree, there is a line making people "feel powerful" because feeling powerful often leads to overconfidence. I think that game would not be harshly affected by temporal powers if everyone has the option to obtain them. With respect, I think you are being a little mellow-dramatic.
While he may or may not be 'mellow-dramatic', this is still not a good idea. I refer you to RSP, for most players still the one power you dont leave spacedock without, especially in PvP.

If the solution to curbing the effect of a power is for everyone to have it, thats not a real solution. Its worse when you comsider RSP is sometimes the only viable way to survive multi-alphas in PvP, yet your power does....what? Im not sure what it does that we dont already sort of have in the game, or were proven to be bad.

What do i mean? Davis has it down pat, we already have powers that slow or restrict ship movement, and slow down cooldowns, even of weapons. Temporal powers that slow things down dont add anything.

Temporal powers that freeze ships are a huge nono. Either you've forgotten, or have only started playing and dont know, about the oft bashed old version of viral matrix that completely disabled ships for a period of time, barring recovery by an ally cast of science team.

We do NOT need the old VM back. No one needs this spammed in PvP, neither do i want to see myself stuck while soloing agaisnt some NPC ship that has this power.

As for the gemini effect..... this is an IWIN button, where no one can tell which is your real ship, or heaven forbid, you take control of the 2nd when the 1st is destroyed. If you make it clear to your enemy which one is the real one, thenits still an IWIN button, depending on the AI. Two ships with the same powers, weapons, shields, hull. Great. Imagine fighting a science ship....one VM, even the new one, is bad enough. Or Tyken's rift. Or whatever have you.

If you make the duplicate weaker than your ship, then its about as useful as a pet. At which point i direct you to....photonic fleet.

One more, it goes agaisnt canon. i hardly believe starfleet is going to breach the temporal prime directive just for a few gimmicks in combat, Armada notwithstanding. The temporal facility and the gemini effect were abit ridiculous.