Lt. Commander
# 1 Respec
07-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but do you get a respec everytime you advance in rank? If so, then how does one cash in the respec. Would like to re-allocate my skill points. And if you dont use them, do they stack up till you need/want to use them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Respec guy is in the centre of Earth Spacedock - not along the ring, but the hub section in the middle. I forget where the Klingon version is.

The free respecs stack up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I didn't respec untill I reached RA to better allocate some left over points.

There is a good guide here ...
http://stowiki.org/wiki/Respec

You can retrain your skill points at earth space dock in the centre with the Saurian..
http://stowiki.org/wiki/Okret

You can also buy some more respec tokens. And yes, they so stack if you dont spend them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-25-2010, 08:29 PM
thanks that's exactly what i needed.

i agree on waiting till RA. which just happened to my character, will be nice to scale back on some unused skills to increase better skills.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-26-2010, 04:51 AM
The following is at the bottom of the page of the wiki link noted above:

"Notes

It is important to note that a character can only hold one token at a time; they do not stack. If your character already has a token and you acquire another, it will be replaced with no form of reimbursement."

This was my understanding as well. I have never done a respec and have an RA4, in the next few days I'll respec and see if I am able to do a second one without paying for it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Ooos! Yeah your right.

Also, you can buy more respec tokens on the c-store (400 Cryptic points - about $6).

Plus you can use Merits (20,000 at RA) to respec also.
I've blown so many merits! LOL but still have like 100K+ left so I didn't notice.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-26-2010, 06:23 AM
You could also use this Earth Space Dock interactive map to find Lt. Commander Okret. Just scroll down the list at the bottom and click his name.

At DS9 you can speak to Lt. Commander Tana.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IglooDude
The following is at the bottom of the page of the wiki link noted above:

"Notes

It is important to note that a character can only hold one token at a time; they do not stack. If your character already has a token and you acquire another, it will be replaced with no form of reimbursement."

This was my understanding as well. I have never done a respec and have an RA4, in the next few days I'll respec and see if I am able to do a second one without paying for it.
I did a respec (from a free token), did a few changes, saved them, and then commenced another respec, and it noted that I was using another token. So at this point I'd say that the wiki is wrong, respecs stack.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IglooDude
I did a respec (from a free token), did a few changes, saved them, and then commenced another respec, and it noted that I was using another token. So at this point I'd say that the wiki is wrong, respecs stack.
Yeah. When I respecced recently, I remember it told me I had 2 tokens.

In all likelihood, STO's respec token system is the same as CO's. In CO, there were 3 types of respec tokens:
  • Free - These were given out with patches (like Season 1). They don't stack.
  • Purchased - Bought from C-Store and are account-wide (but can only be used by 1 character). Can have more than one.
  • Earned - These are the ones you earn in-game and they do stack. In STO's case, they would be the vet reward respec and the rank-up respecs.
Then again, that's all just guessing. I wish our respec tokens were actually displayed somewhere, rather than having to wait until we actually respecced.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Hmm...

I burned through all of my Veteran Reward Freespecs as well as my Freespecs from the big patches, and I still had a few left over from what I'm assuming are ranks. Yay me?