Login

Lt. Commander
# 91
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Gratz dude or dudette!
Lt. Commander
# 92
03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Congratulations Cold, I know its not easy keeping it brief so great job doing that and keeping it interesting!
Lt. Commander
# 93
03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Congratulations!

I still think it's a little poopy that neither of the winners are formatted to the actual prompt XD (I'd imagine conforming to such a limiting prompt is what kept the other entries from feeling so original.)
Lt. Commander
# 94
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
congrats cold
Lt. Commander
# 95
03-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Congratulations, well done, and enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 96
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
A nice read, I liked the ideas you had flloating around there, I was the exact opposit of your story scaling it down so that it fitted into the setting, my origonal was 980 odd words so i lost alot of stuff...

But congrats on the win m8 hope you enjoy yer beta slot
Lt. Commander
# 97
03-27-2009, 02:24 AM
Congrats to deserved win.
Lt. Commander
# 98
03-27-2009, 03:57 AM
good job and ok
Lt. Commander
# 99
03-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel6d View Post
I did leave the bar/cantina setting out but it was on purpose. The 300 word limit dictated that much had to be cut and I chose to cut flavor (the personal setting) in favor of facts and description. Since I assumed that the information I provided would be used at a later date to add content to the game I wanted to make sure that I gave enough info to achieve this end.

IMO that's why TheHybrid was over on words he added content and flavor. His story was a much better read. Mine was kinda dry and Wiki like.

As long as he keeps his beta slot then I guess its cool. Maybe he will let me be his wingman in beta. I can ram with the best of em.
Just out of curiosity, since you admit you purposely left our the bar/cantina setting that you were told to include, did you feel like you were breaking the contest rules? Do you think the people who did include it like they were told to do so should not have? Lastly, do you think it was ok that the original contest winner broke the rules? Just to be clear, I'm not saying what you(or the original winner) did was "wrong", but simply that the rules, as they were written, were broken.
Lt. Commander
# 100
03-27-2009, 06:24 AM
grats on the win, but I found it difficult to scientifically reconcile their intolerance to g-forces, i.e. decent resounding slap could kill them (depending on the nature of their vulnerability of course). A quick wiki confirmed it, with the following as decent pointers:

High-g roller coasters 3.55 g
Formula One car, maximum under heavy braking 5 g
Maximum for human on a rocket sled 46.2 g
Brief human exposure survived in crash >100 g
Space Shuttle escape velocity = 3g

.. the last one particularly telling, as chemical rockets or magical space pixies, you're still gonna be exposed to 3g in achieving escape velocity (for an earth-sized planet). I appreciate the author says the aliens developed inertial dampers etc as a techno-solution, but it would seem to be a terribly fragile race for anything they did up to the point of developing that technology e.g. driving cars, falling down stairs etc. Which would seem to preclude their overall survivability.

Don't want to pick fault, I liked the story, but the staggering g-intolerance broke the fourth wall for me, sorry.