Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 101 Congrats
03-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Congratulations to the two winners. Very good reads both. Liked the explanation for the spikes from the runner up and like the mind powers from the winner. Hope I win the lottery!
Lt. Commander
# 102
03-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Danger
grats on the win, but I found it difficult to scientifically reconcile their intolerance to g-forces, i.e. decent resounding slap could kill them (depending on the nature of their vulnerability of course). A quick wiki confirmed it, with the following as decent pointers:

High-g roller coasters 3.55 g

Maximum for human on a rocket sled 46.2 g
Brief human exposure survived in crash >100 g
Space Shuttle escape velocity = 3g

.. the last one particularly telling, as chemical rockets or magical space pixies, you're still gonna be exposed to 3g in achieving escape velocity (for an earth-sized planet). I appreciate the author says the aliens developed inertial dampers etc as a techno-solution, but it would seem to be a terribly fragile race for anything they did up to the point of developing that technology e.g. driving cars, falling down stairs etc. Which would seem to preclude their overall survivability.

Don't want to pick fault, I liked the story, but the staggering g-intolerance broke the fourth wall for me, sorry.
You are correct on the science that you have presented but let me remind you this is an ALIEN world we are talking about here. With only 300 words I cant give you a complete rundown of their native biosphere. In there natural environment they do not encounter these extreme forces. The main reason for this is that there natural habitat is at 0.25 G. A "slap" as you say on their world is not as hard or fast as one is here because it doesn't have to be to achieve the same result. So what we would consider a minor change is major to them.

As far as cars and other modes of transport. They really just don't exist. At least not at "Formula One car, maximum under heavy braking 5 g" levels. Don't know about you but unless I am playing in my Z-28 I don't go much over 1 G.

EDIT: For instance do we here on Earth fly around at 40,000 mph? some organisms can handle that kind of acceleration but we can't. Result, we don't do it.
Lt. Commander
# 103
03-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Just out of curiosity, since you admit you purposely left our the bar/cantina setting that you were told to include, did you feel like you were breaking the contest rules? Do you think the people who did include it like they were told to do so should not have? Lastly, do you think it was ok that the original contest winner broke the rules? Just to be clear, I'm not saying what you(or the original winner) did was "wrong", but simply that the rules, as they were written, were broken.
I felt like I was following the spirit of the rules. Was it to the letter? Maybe not. I have not really examined it anymore closely. Perhaps I will. I read the bar/cantina thing as giving the writer a place to start. As a way to get there story going.

Originally I had that in there but I could not tell the story I wanted with it in inside of 300 words. I had to make some decisions on what to cut. The bar/cantina flavor stuff seemed to me to be less important then the fact content. So flavor was cut in favor of fact. I thought the purpose was to give the community a way to actually participate in adding content to the game.

There could also be a follow up contest in the future asking other people to add to this races story. With more facts in the original it would better guide future writers later on. There would have to be some way of adding to this story later because 300 word just wont cut it in the end facts or no facts.

In the end everyone had to make the call on what to cut or if to cut anything. I deemed the 300 word limit more important then the bar/cantina scene. That's my call. If it means I didn't follow the rules so be it. they can disqualify me at anytime.

I realize no one is really chastising me here. I just want to let you know my way of thinking so that this is better understood by anyone that cares.
Lt. Commander
# 104
03-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel6d View Post
I felt like I was following the spirit of the rules. Was it to the letter? Maybe not. I have not really examined it anymore closely. Perhaps I will. I read the bar/cantina thing as giving the writer a place to start. As a way to get there story going.

Originally I had that in there but I could not tell the story I wanted with it in inside of 300 words. I had to make some decisions on what to cut. The bar/cantina flavor stuff seemed to me to be less important then the fact content. So flavor was cut in favor of fact. I thought the purpose was to give the community a way to actually participate in adding content to the game.

There could also be a follow up contest in the future asking other people to add to this races story. With more facts in the original it would better guide future writers later on. There would have to be some way of adding to this story later because 300 word just wont cut it in the end facts or no facts.

In the end everyone had to make the call on what to cut or if to cut anything. I deemed the 300 word limit more important then the bar/cantina scene. That's my call. If it means I didn't follow the rules so be it. they can disqualify me at anytime.

I realize no one is really chastising me here. I just want to let you know my way of thinking so that this is better understood by anyone that cares.
I see, and thanks for the response. I think it would be nice if, in the future, Cryptic would only post rules that they are actually going to enforce. This would ensure that the competition is actually fair, and not divided into a group of people who followed the rules and a group who choose not to for whatever reason.
Lt. Commander
# 105
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Congrats, I'm jealous!
Lt. Commander
# 106
03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Congrats to the winner(s) on the contest and your BETA spots!
Lt. Commander
# 107
03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Congrats on the win, but I thought that in order to win this contest...you have to talk about what happened in the bar, not a species bio for the main computer. It reminds me of the planet identification contest winner...it wasn't what was asked for, but won anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 108 Portugal
03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
parabens aos 2 vencedores devo acrescentar que se ouver boas leituras se bem que resumidas ha-de haver futuro na saga star trek
Lt. Commander
# 109
03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Congrats! A truly enjoyable read!
Lt. Commander
# 110
03-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Congrats! This is a great alien race! How do they sleep with those spikes protruding from thier heads?