Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 61
03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
It's important to note that a number of us take great exception to the events of this week. Attempts to gloss over those events are going to look obvious.

The perception is that there is a lot going on in this forum that violates basic laws of decency. Censoring discussion of the problem won't solve it, unless the goal is to drive away all but the most subservient of posters. Be honest - is that really the answer?
The threads pertaining to the contest controversy do not need to be open any longer. Our opinion was voiced in many ways and by many people. Since Cryptic has chosen a legitimate winner there is no longer a need for debate or discussion on the manner. Cryptic reserves the right (19 and 20) to moderate these forums in any way they see fit. I think they could have acted sooner on the situation, but in the end, does a day or two worth of weighing the issues and watching the discussion unfold make much difference? I kindly ask that you no longer try to bring up the constest issue as this measure fully satisfies a grand prize winner. True there is no runner up winner to receive the forum title, but do you think people will really advocate for that now?
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
just so I know what are people complaing about now?
Apparently the second contest winner's entry was in violation of the contest rules as well, as it did not address the required setting of why the alien species was sitting next to you in the space station cantina
Lt. Commander
# 63
03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You've got to be kidding me. The first winner broke the word limit rule(#5), and the second broke the setting rule(#1). I honestly cant believe this just happened

Alien Identification Contest Rules
While it is true it does not mention the cantina setting, it does mention all of the other things that were asked about the species and then some. At this point now you are beginning to argue over the less tangible parts of the contests and the subjective decision of the judge. The judge thought that Cold's story creatively described the aliens. He went beyond the bounds of the cantina setting, and wisely so that he had more words to use in describing the aliens instead of having to use precious words in dialogue. Presentation is also one of the judges criteria of judging and this is a subjective matter I believe that does not need to be fought.
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
hmm thats a good point, its just a race description and not actually a story based in a bar/cantina

meh...regardless, congrats.
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
just so I know what are people complaing about now?
the lack of a setting it in a bar/cantina, it is basically a description without any sort of mention about a bar/cantina
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezurn View Post
While it is true it does not mention the cantina setting, it does mention all of the other things that were asked about the species and then some. At this point now you are beginning to argue over the less tangible parts of the contests and the subjective decision of the judge. The judge thought that Cold's story creatively described the aliens. He went beyond the bounds of the cantina setting, and wisely so that he had more words to use in describing the aliens instead of having to use precious words in dialogue. Presentation is also one of the judges criteria of judging and this is a subjective matter I believe that does not need to be fought.
Hey, I didnt bring this up, I was just responding to the post of the person who actually noticed it. Either way though, this appears to be another example of overlooking the rules, or at least trying to justify not following them. Your arguments/justifications are basicly the same ones that were made for the original winner not obeying the word limit rule.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Congratulations Coldsteel6d!

nice job
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
It sucks, I wrote a better one...

Hahaah hell NO, but if you attached a nice story to the excellent original thinking you would have been 1st place in my book even if not on the contest. Nice and imaginative again!
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-26-2009, 04:54 PM
While, going off of memory, my initial reaction was that this entry too also broke the rules, upon reviewing the rules, explaining how the alien ended up at the cantina sitting next to you seems like a suggestion for the framework of a potential narrative, not a rule. I do not get the impression that we HAD to say how they got there, what planet they were from, what kind of culture they grew up in, etc. (chances are very, very few touched upon ALL of these)

This winner seems entirely legitimate, and I support his winning of this competition.
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Congrats to the runner up, nice read