Lt. Commander
# 1 Curious and cautious
07-26-2010, 09:43 AM
HI there ST Fans ;0-0

I am a avid ST fan of a few years and unlike some I love all the shows quite literally, not because they are amazing in everyway, but because they are in some ways at least representative of some of the best things, we as members of the universe can be .

As the title indicates, I am cautious and the reasons are in part due to reviews I've seen from 2 of the biggest players , and while the average is a bit higher there are other factors to consider when joining a online community and those as well give me great pause but lets start with these things:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/start...ne/review.html

" Ground combat is a clumsy disaster Most battles aren't tense or exciting because they're far too easy Shallow, disjointed exploration Missions are repetitive and poorly written. "

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/star-trek-o...1069983p1.html

" Every encounter is instanced, meaning STO is, like Champions Online, more moderately than massively multiplayer. "

Space battles seems a clear and distinct recurriing theme from reviews and fans ( less so control ) and while yes, that IS part of st lore, its def. NOT the whole banana. I watched ST not for that alone, but for the ideology of meeting news races and struggling sometimes to work together in various ways to diplomatic solutions. I harken back to bridge commander which I loved on some level though it was simplistic in other ways and I sure hope STO has managed to at least beat that

I've not one to revel in ground combat as I"d rather make frirends not war, but if combat it must be should it not ast least be interesting and not shallow, and if it has been fixed, please someone say so here; and I really love exploration < I dont like to TWITCH that much as I find it boring and repetitive> so I'm hoping either reviewer was wrong or that its been fixed too ?

I recently became level 30 in unnamed MMO and for the most part reallly enjoyed the diversity and 'help' I could find from other players online when I needed a group to complete quest, and having read this comment from gamespy really makes me cautious to quickly adopt STO as my new MMO 'IF' the part about 'moderately MO' is true ? If so I am going to massively pass, because while I LOVE ST, I dont love most things moderate unless we're talkiing about the weather

THanks anyone for any insight you can provide.

cheers
wamarine
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
my advice is to stay away from a lifetime for the time being, and just check it out monthly.

also stay away from C-store purchases for the time being as well ( it is a very sore spot for players, and there is a LOT of gripes about the lack of product vs profit ).

spend as little as possible to get the taste of the game, and make your decision.

DON'T fall for what a lot of players have... dont throw hundreds of dollars away ( many have $300,$400, $500 invested, and are very very disappointed in the game, the marketing, and the touted misleading advertising issues )

spend very little. get a feel. come to your own conclusions.

then...if you love it...go for it.

if you dont...you arent out hundreds of dollars.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-26-2010, 09:51 AM
My advice is don't expect the peace loving, non-violent , utopian outlook society that the TV shows portrayed. The Federation is at war.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Try out the demo , best way for you to see how much you like the combat and community.

Also of possible interest, is that the Federation are getting some diplomacy missions in the next update, which is due this week.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
My advice is don't expect the peace loving, non-violent , utopian outlook society that the TV shows portrayed. The Federation is at war.
true. that is a very important thing to consider OP, considering the tone of your post.

It's not the Trek you may be used to.

Lt. Commander
# 6
07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
NO offense sir, but thats ridiculous.

palease.
chow
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlingOnline
Try out the demo , best way for you to see how much you like the combat and community.

Also of possible interest, is that the Federation are getting some diplomacy missions in the next update, which is due this week.
Yup I noticed that, but as mentioned in my original post I dont mind other parts of a game long as they aren't too simplistic in nature or boring or cause repitive injury < not that other MMO's dont suffer from similar things>

I"ve come to really love a certain MMO's ability to /find other people playing and get help from them for a given quest, so if this 'instanced' comment from one of the reviewers is true, I may have to pass for awhile, because thats not what ST means to me in a nutshell and if STO is meant to cater to a different audience so be it, but I aint it < I'll decided based on other comments/the demo>

cheers
mamarine
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilarazani
NO offense sir, but thats ridiculous.

palease.
chow
If you've got some spare time and have a few extra dollars, read the Star Trek Novel, Needs of the Many. It explains how the federation is at war right now. The poster is correct. The feds are fighting a war on two fronts.

1- With the Klingon Empire.
2- With the Undine.

It is a different tone. The game is going in a direction more colored by DS9 than say TNG.

Anyways, one huge difference between now and when you read those reviews ... is when the next patch update goes in, Diplomacy goes live. And that's a non-combat system for advancement.

It's still sparse, still a tad incomplete, so it'll be a long grind if you want to truly level up that way. But it's now possible.

Do like others have suggested ... don't buy a lifetime sub. That's a marketing gimmick. Play monthly. Try the demo. Take it slow. See if you like it.

It's a video game. It's not going to feel exactly like the shows. You have to decide if it feels enough like the shows to suit you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilarazani
1.... as they aren't too simplistic in nature.
2... boring or cause repitive injury.
3.... if this 'instanced' comment from one of the reviewers is true, I may have to pass for awhile,
4.....because thats not what ST means to me in a nutshell
you are actually pointing out a LOT of the concerns, and gripes that a LOT pf players are posting here.

1... the game is easy .. (VERY easy. and leveling is too quick and lacks the life-building of the characters IMO).

2... the missions are very similar (albiet the storyline mission are a little more varied, but not a whole lot) (( and my hands HURT after playing this game for a while ... very repetative controls...spamming is a very appropriate description of gameplay ))

3... instancing is the whole basis of the game... everything is instanced

4... you may find yourself not liking this game if that is truly your stance. A lot of people left for this same issue.

good luck. !
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-26-2010, 10:17 AM
You're not too far off track with your assessment of the game to be honest.

But you also need to keep in mind that this game is very young and was hurried into release before it was polished.
The dev team is very in touch with the players and as accomodating as they can be with our requests. I think they want as much out of this game as we do and try hard to make it happen.
Being an MMO player Im sure you understand that alot of players of these games want everything immediately and whine when it doesnt happen. So the devs get badmouthed far more than they deserve.

Being a fan of the franchise you also understand the vastness of possibilities for this game and you just need to be a bit patient as they work their way into the storylines. The game will evolve into something better than it is if people stick it out and keep it up and running long enough.

In terms of the game being moderately MMO....I completely agree with that assessment. Unfortunately I think its just the nature of the engine they chose and couldnt be truely changed without reinventing the wheel.

The introduction of difficulty levels and squad support were good steps in bringing people together more often. Previous to that all content until you hit admiral rank was soloable and grouping was laughable.
There are further improvements to be made in this direction but they are showing an effort.

I do as little ground combat as I can get away with because I dont find it enjoyable...your weapons auto target and theres no need to aim or anything. Basically you press the 1 key a bunch of times and then the 2 key every so often. They give you ground skills but most arent nearly as effective as they could be and you could easily muddle through ground pve combat without using any of them and still win.
I think that whole system needs a revamp in the worst way.
Space combat is similar in terms of simplicity but the skills are more effective and you have more oppurtunities to customize your playstyle.

Overall I say give this game an honest try and stick around long enough to see the continuous improvements. In time it will be the game alot of us were expecting at release.
Closed Thread