Lt. Commander
# 22
07-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Reading is fundimental.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Thats the same Riker who whenever left in control of the normal enterprise got it blown up/damaged...
tac captains, what can you expect.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
tac captains, what can you expect.
Since when was Riker a 'tac captain'? I thought that in canon Star Trek, all Captains were just 'Captains', and belonged to the 'Command' division - no 'Tactical/Engineering/Science' about it.

It's bad enough that STO has to reduce everything to 'DPS/Tank/Healer' in this fashion, but it really irks me when STO players see someone like Tom Paris in a red uniform and assume he's a 'Tactical Officer', when he's actually a helmsman/flight controller, and thus has nothing to do with Security or similar.

It's not the players' fault, of course - it's just an annoying reminder that things work one way in Star Trek, and then in a fundamentally different way in Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-27-2010, 08:02 AM
After reading this i would refer to my "LMAO at the GalaxyX thread", but that was closed...
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Wah wah.. My ship isn't as awesome as i wanted it to be! It should be the pwnzor but in reality it's essentially worse than any other fed ship...
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Shepherd
Since when was Riker a 'tac captain'? I thought that in canon Star Trek, all Captains were just 'Captains', and belonged to the 'Command' division - no 'Tactical/Engineering/Science' about it.

It's bad enough that STO has to reduce everything to 'DPS/Tank/Healer' in this fashion, but it really irks me when STO players see someone like Tom Paris in a red uniform and assume he's a 'Tactical Officer', when he's actually a helmsman/flight controller, and thus has nothing to do with Security or similar.

It's not the players' fault, of course - it's just an annoying reminder that things work one way in Star Trek, and then in a fundamentally different way in Star Trek Online.
I don't know about Riker being a tac captain or not, but wouldn't someone being a tac/eng/sci captain really have to do with their course of study on their way to being a captain? So while they don't label them as such, for instance Janeway would be a Sci Captain as she had a scientific background on her way to being a captain, or Geordi in future versions (Like VOY: Timeless) would be an Eng Captain?
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Captains come from different areas of expertise, Piccard was a science captain (if you take him at face value as well as the episode where Q showed him what his life would be like if he hadn't of gotten stabbed) Janeway is complicated tbh, she knew tons about engineering she was always down there but she was also very good at science as well. Riker was most certainly a Tactical captain. They are all captains but they all come from different expertises on their route to becoming a captain.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Sorry, but no, for two reasons:

1. Using the alt. future versions as examples, when an officer becomes a Captain in Starfleet, whatever their previous career, they switch to the Command division (red uniforms in TNG), with all the duties and responsibilites therein. It's not called the 'Command' division for nothing! Hence why both LaForge and Crusher both wore red uniforms in 'Timeless' and 'All Good Things', respectively. As 'Captains', they would have been operating in exactly the same way as Picard, Kirk, Sisko or any other Captain, because that's their duty - NOT going off and doing whatever it was they did before becoming Captain. That's what people like 'Chief Engineers' and 'Chief Medical Officers' are for...

So yeah, regardless of what expertise a Captain might have from their years of service, in practical terms, a Captain is a Captain is a Captain. Once you sit in the big chair, all other concerns are secondary to being in charge.

2. More crucially, 'Tactical captains' are an invention of STO, and never existed in canon Star Trek! Again, let me repeat - the canon divisions are Command, Sciences and Operations. Arguing that Riker was a 'Tac Captain' or Janeway was a 'Sci Captain' is a case of the proverbial "tail wagging the dog" - sure, you can guess as to which STO class they'd fit into best, but don't start arguing that they were actually in those classes, since, as I said they don't canonically exist.

To use a similar example, many Star Wars RPGs use the 'Consular/Sentinel/Guardian' class system for Jedi, including those seen on-screen. However, while you can say that 'in SWG, Luke Skywalker is a Jedi Guardian' and that'd be ok, to argue that he was one in the movies themselves is just completely wrong, since the classes were invented AFTER the movies, and thus weren't a factor when the films were originally mades. See what I mean?

(Oh, and let's not use 'Tapestry' as an example of why Picard would be a 'science captain' - in the main timeline where he got stabbed, he wasn't in the 'Science' division. Instead, he served as Flight Controller on the Stargazer - a post in the 'Command' division. Look it up - Memory-Alpha.org is your friend! )
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Shepherd
the canon divisions are Command, Sciences and Operations.
You left out security. Which is listed as its own division in the Star Trek Encyclopedia (both editions that I have). And even has its own, dark green, color scheme in the Wrath of Khan to Undiscovered Country era of uniforms.