Lt. Commander
# 11
07-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
Since there is no penalty for death, why would the squatters care if they get blown up? Can't they just sit and respawn until the match is over?

Perhaps I'm missing some mechanic to the PvP system?
They must care if they took the time to move off to the side though.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Since there is no penalty for death, why would the squatters care if they get blown up? Can't they just sit and respawn until the match is over?

Perhaps I'm missing some mechanic to the PvP system?
This is true, that is why we need a merit based system. The only way to get rid of a freeloader is by removing the incentive to receive free things and replacing it with work. You will see them run for the hills if Cryptic implements such a system.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-27-2010, 07:22 AM
won't happen crytpic don't care
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Totally agree. I hate those "players" in PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-27-2010, 07:32 AM
i agree ... freeloaders should get nothing at all ... zip. If they can't be bothered then they get exactly what the put into it... zip.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-27-2010, 07:33 AM
if dps is under 10k no badge or exp, thatl show em
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Problem is, it's difficult to tell who exactly is a freeloader from a software point-of-view. In Capture and Hold missions, we sometimes assigne a ship or two to do nothing but captures. They are vital to the mission, but do next to no damage in the fight. There's also the dedicated healer ships that do very little damage as they concentrate on keeping fleetmates alive.

Damage dealt isn't exactly the best indicator of who was freeloading and who was merely specializing their role. Personally, I don't know what is a good way to tell.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Problem is, it's difficult to tell who exactly is a freeloader from a software point-of-view. In Capture and Hold missions, we sometimes assigne a ship or two to do nothing but captures. They are vital to the mission, but do next to no damage in the fight. There's also the dedicated healer ships that do very little damage as they concentrate on keeping fleetmates alive.

Damage dealt isn't exactly the best indicator of who was freeloading and who was merely specializing their role. Personally, I don't know what is a good way to tell.
Yeah I also included healing in there as well. Most games the healers get the shaft, but I thought of them too. healing would be the same as damage in points and in merits.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan420
if dps is under 10k no badge or exp, thatl show em
You can do 10k damage per second? HACKER! Cryptic, ban this guy who is obviously doing something illegal under TOS.

And I know you mean 10k total damage but what about the late comers who still participate but only have enough time for 9k? The freeloaders aren't even doing 3k of damage so 5k would be fair enough. And let it also work if they do combined with heals because on some teams, I helped more on healing.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan420
a wow dungeon style kick option is what we need, the ability to boot and replace with someone waiting to que
i cant see them not doing this,i dont get to fight the galaxy x too mutch because its usualy cloaked under a station somewhere badge farming : (
This is an extremely poor idea. Nothing personal.

Having played WoW, and seen the kind of shenanigans people get up to, I do understand your frustration. But, knowing internet denizens, FPS players and PUG's like I do, I can flat guarantee that this idea will be abused to also eliminate people that do better (because somebody wants top slot), people that are worse (because they're dragging the team down), people that got the kill-shot instead (cause that's just not FAIR!) etc. etc.

I don't see any reason to open the doors to the massive amount of abuse that normal players could be subjected to, simply to punish some lamers. There must be a better way than this!

Quote:

This is also a significant concern. Glad I'm not the only person to think like this!

Going into PvP without a healer is asking to lose... but what if you go in, have two healers, and the enemy team has none. You'll win the match in short-order, and the healers will get burned because they made almost no contribution.

What about somebody who can one-shot kill an enemy ship (just as an example). Even though he is a MASSIVE asset to the team, he'll get far less points than a cruiser pilot just just sitting in a corner slugging it out with an enemy cruiser pilot. If they manage their damage correctly (so that they don't kill each other) and nobody else comes along to interfere, they can easily top the damage tables, but they made no contribution to the battle.

================================================== ===================================

Overall, until there is an intelligent, software based approach to measuring contribution, I think it's better to just give rewards to everybody that attends.