Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground PvP is fun.
07-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Has anyone else noticed that ground PvP has slowed down in all tiers??? As for myself i am a strict ground pvp, i only space pvp for the dailies. I was hoping that someone out there has noticed this as well. This thread is made to convert people to ground pvp. Many people say ground pvp is not fair because exposes are cheap. There are ways to get rid of exposes, like healing kits, shield charge. You can also diminish the attack strength of exploit attacks by rolling or sprinting, or just by hiding behind a wall. And if you think they are not fair, try exposing people for yourself, it is fun and gives u a little rush when yu see your opponent is exposed and in plain sight. That is 1 of many reasons why ground PvP is not only fun but exciting. The other reason will take me many posts to explain, and i do not have that much time. If you are interested in setting up a PvP match or just help out, please mail me on the game at Troy@521Morrison. I will deeply appreciate it. If you also have any questions feel free to ask me and i will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Seeya guys later and hopefully in PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Well I have avoided Ground PvP because it takes so long to get 40 kills, not to mention the amount of time spent waiting for a match to start. Not to mention I got tired of the "Hold, Expose, Vap" combo I kept getting hit with.

I will admit that I really play any PvP, and I have not played ground PvP since before Season 1, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
i had my first ground pvp match in shanty town yesterday.... 60 !!! kills.... that was soooo aweful you canīt believe it. after 30 we decided to speed it up by letting us get killed faster. it was 2vs2. finally we were finished, but my character was stuck on the map. i switched to another charakter and will NEVER EVER touch the ground que again.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellfxxx
i had my first ground pvp match in shanty town yesterday.... 60 !!! kills.... that was soooo aweful you canīt believe it. after 30 we decided to speed it up by letting us get killed faster. it was 2vs2. finally we were finished, but my character was stuck on the map. i switched to another charakter and will NEVER EVER touch the ground que again.
I'd connect the dots for you but I doubt your puny mind would comprehend how Shanty Town works. It may be so much more entertaining if you just try to figuere it out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellfxxx
Shanty Town is an objective-based map, not a kill-based map. You get points by transporting a virus. Here's a small video showing the two places you can transport the virus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s42N2kivF5A

Good luck everyone else... I'm slowly leaving STO for All Points Bulletin.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
I'd connect the dots for you but I doubt your puny mind would comprehend how Shanty Town works. It may be so much more entertaining if you just try to figuere it out.
lol wow now i do feel a little bit stupid^^
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
Well I have avoided Ground PvP because it takes so long to get 40 kills, not to mention the amount of time spent waiting for a match to start.
This is exactly one of the points i like with ground pvp, that it takes time to complete.

After often waiting in the queue for up to 1-2 hours for a game to even start the absolutely last thing i want to see happen is a quick 10 minute - 3x team wipe => game over before it even really started scenario like in space. Its not about winning or losing or the rewards, for all i care they could completely remove the rewards for me it wouldn't matter, however the game time matters, having a nice 40-60 minute game against fun to play with opponents is fully worth to wait a hour or two, regardless if its win or loss in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 521Morrison View Post
i only space pvp for the dailies.
All dailies can be done on ground also btw, just the queue waiting time is an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-28-2010, 09:41 AM
40 kills was a huge factor in killing off ground PvP, as well as the fact that there are queues for each map rather than a single ground queue. (So the lower listed maps never get played.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
Well I have avoided Ground PvP because it takes so long to get 40 kills, not to mention the amount of time spent waiting for a match to start. Not to mention I got tired of the "Hold, Expose, Vap" combo I kept getting hit with.

I will admit that I really play any PvP, and I have not played ground PvP since before Season 1, I think.
CSB...... :l
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Ground PvP can be fun, but when the queues became a ghost town after Season 1 I left and never looked back at BG level.

Still a fast way to level though. I spoke with Oaks@dstahl last night and ground pvp is high on his agenda - he wants to turn PvP into ship pvp - with boarding party ground pvp actions in each others ship interiors. Sounds interesting, and may require us to actually spend points in ground again.

I just hope that it requires us to deck out ALL of our bridge officers - including extra BOFF slots purchased from the C-STORE and our BOFFs help defend the ship. I also hope we can invite folks to our bridge to help defend the ship. Done well, it can open up boarding party actions into huge open PvP matches using ship interiors- which beats the snot out of Ghost Ship or Shanty Town every day of the week.

Particularly once new and even more interesting ship interiors hit the C-Store.

Ideas for better ground combat, including ground PvP::

1) Add Starfleet Marines and Nausicaan Brute Squads. Uniforms for both would be very cool considering how talented the art dept in STO is.

2) New ground based scenarios where an Admiral or General actually commands troops in combat during a war scenario. Strategy mini-games in the context of the war, if you will.

3) Add vehicles. Sorry, but I am a Klingon - I believe in the capacity for industry to create a deadly manned vehicle for me and my BOFFS to ride/drive in. Also add anti-vehicle weapons, which includes fixing orbital strike.

4) Add NPCs to each faction in PvP maps, and allow them to take orders/instructions by players. Consider a full squad being part of the team that way I can issue commands to the squad like I can my BOFFs.

5) Fix stuff like shield generators, which should not be able to be shot from or into.

6) Allow multiple engineer officers to build heavy turrets, large minefields, and other fixed structure capabilities when working together (requires 3 engineers to use a skill to assemble one piece)

7) Allow multiple Science officers to do amazing things together when using their tricoders (see Engineering example above) including detect all enemy locations and equipment on the mini-map, set traps and force fields, etc...

8) Allow multiple Tactical officers to assemble vehicles or call upon large groups of soldiers/marines NPCS for battle.