Lt. Commander
How many subscribers does STO have???
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, considering the entire MMO market segment is hurting right now, the fact that they haven't shut down the servers is a good sign. Keep your fingers crossed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
We have more than 10 and less than 10 million.

Honestly we just aren't allowed to talk about it - (and honestly it was a no-no everywhere else I've worked) so it's not just a "Cryptic Thing"

The good news is that despite the fact that the video game industry is hurting big time, STO is doing just fine and we are super excited to get Season 2 into your hands and start delivering the weekly series as well as starting work on the Season 3 secret stuff
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
If STO is doing fine but that you labor under a small team, why not hire more people to design the game's assets in order to keep the momentum/winning streak going?

I keep hearing the team is small. Does Star Trek as an IP even deserves a small team? I fail to understand why more isn't invested in this, especially when there's yet more work to do, more scenarios to be created, etcetera.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
If STO is doing fine but that you labor under a small team, why not hire more people to design the game's assets in order to keep the momentum/winning streak going?

I keep hearing the team is small. Does Star Trek as an IP even deserves a small team?
I'm with you on this one. I wish our team size was about 10 times bigger. The fact is that while Star Trek is doing well, the game industry in general isn't. As a major publisher, Atari is not immune to the slump in game sales so as a company in general - we are doing as much as we can with what we have.

We are working on it though... as a small win - we have a new content designer starting tomorrow who is someone who actually played the game prior to coming to Cryptic. I'm pretty happy about that
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Doing more with less is one way in a hurting economy they can keep things out of the red. Their small team is probably one reason (of many I'm sure) that they can keep STO's servers up. I would rather have a small hard working team keep STO around for years than a big team with their fingers crossed that they'll have a job after each update. Just my 2 cents.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
how many people work on STO
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post

I keep hearing the team is small. Does Star Trek as an IP even deserves a small team? I fail to understand why more isn't invested in this, especially when there's yet more work to do, more scenarios to be created, etcetera.
I have no idea what their subscriber base is like, but it can't possibly be anything remotely like the 10 million that World of ******** boasts.

Look at all the other second tier or third tier MMOs out there. STO gets new content at a much higher rate than those other games.

Would it be nice if we got new content at the same pace as World of ********? Yeah, that would be nice, however I don't see how it's remotely reasonable to expect that level of content addition. We're getting new stuff at a pretty decent pace all things considered.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
We are working on it though... as a small win - we have a new content designer starting tomorrow who is someone who actually played the game prior to coming to Cryptic. I'm pretty happy about that
Fantastic!
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
It is me, please say it is me. I once accidently opened PaintBrush, so im qualified !