Lt. Commander
hi im just wondering if this little thing can be added when you inform the playerbase of things that are going on.

can you add the timezones for other regions like uk, france, german etc cos im in the uk an to be frank, i dont have a scubby do what time it is in america
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
In the patcher see the following:

"We will be bringing down Star Trek Onine on Tuesday, July 27th from 6AM PDT to 12PM PDT (1PM DT to 7PM UDT) in order o perform maintenance, and to apply a patch."

I don't want to just assume you see this too, but if you do, UDT is the Time Zone formerly known as Greenwhich Mean Time, which is somewhere in England, not America.

If you click your clock at far right of your tast bar, you'll see what your time zone's relation to UDT is.

Rather than ask the devs to create an elaborate chart, this is pretty easy to figure out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-27-2010, 11:04 AM
eh when the hell did GMT get changed. ow thats right it hasnt,Coordinated Universal Time is the atomic clock i had never once heard off.

edit, btw you telling people utc is gmt is very missleading as gmt is actually 1 hour infront of utc at this moment thus making some people think the game is still down when it could still be an hour away. this i only know now as i search what utc actually is and had no idea what utc was until now. and looking for 'udt' is rather impossible.

and its not such a huge change, they could simply allow us on to set a specific + or - on our account page to represent our time where we are an when we click server status we could have the option to scroll to our timezone and have it show those times. its not super hard.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
You're right, it didn't change in normal usage, but remember we're dealing with computer people here, and DateTime calculations now use the term UDT instead of GMT. So, I was really just pointing out that the UDT is what most people call GMT, which might have helped you out on determining how long the servers are going to be down.

Wasn't trying to be sarcastic or didactic. or anytic for that matter
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
its utc not udt. and it dont matter who they are, if there going to use the atomic clock then why use an american time zone and the atomic clock.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Because Cryptic is based in the US, in Pacific time. Los Gatos, California to be exact. But as I said, they included the UTC (pardon my mistyping earlier), so you can go by what I said earlier. you don't have to calculate the vagaries of the atomic clock, just take the time they gave and apply the difference listed in your clock vs UTC.

I could just as easily complain that I am in eastern time zone, not the ones listed . Or I could subtract 5 from the UTC time.

and I just read up on the vaguaries of UTC. So now, when anyone asks what time it is, I'm just going to tell them, 'I have no #$%ing idea'.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
lol ye there are quite a few things about the utc, i do have to wonder what the hell a leap second is though, the only thing i can think of a use for utc is for gps satalites and stuff like that but did you know that time goes slower in space, dobidobidobidobi. so they have to manually reset the satalites times daily.

there you go, you learn something new every day.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-27-2010, 11:41 AM
maybe because cryptic is based out of California, in the Pacific Standard Timezone? that's the local time of the server. but like they said earlier, UTC is GMT, stop complaining. Do you really expect cryptic to list the times in every single zone? It's very simple to figure out your time in any zone anyway. for example, EST is UTC -5, PST is UTC -8.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-27-2010, 11:46 AM
utc isnt gmt, its a static time where gmt has a timezone with summer time so utc at the min isnt gmt, only place that has the same time as utc at this min is iceland.

and no i never once said i want them to list everytime zone at all, i said that as crptic have us set our timezone in account managment that when we click the link that it would corespond on the website to what time the server is down or changes are happening based on our set time zone.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
As aces_high said, GMT is the same as UTC. The UK is currently BST (British summer time) and for most of the year is eight hours ahead of Pacific time except for a week or so when the UK changes back to GMT before the US.

www.timeanddate.com is a great site for sorting out time differences. It also says on there for the UK that its currently GMT+1 hrs, i.e BST.