Lt. Commander
Just tell us! :p

-Will we be able to put the players into specific roles? Like, say we DIDN'T want them to play themselves but play a specific character in a story? Maybe Data's second cousin, Shmata.

-If not could we "trick" it by simply changing the characters looks for that map? Also... can we change the character's looks? lol

-Can we use the Character Creator to customize some NPCs? (of course some wouldn't be customizable but maybe just Federation and Klingon NPCs)

-Can we give custom abilities to players for our missions (just in that mission not outside)?

-Can we make PvP maps?

-Can we change the stats of NPCs? Maybe I want a Ferengi uber boss? This would allow for basically making Fleet actions and increase customizability greatly.

-Can we change the abilities of NPCs? Like give them different weapons, give them different abilities, blablabla?

-How free is the map making? Can I put stuff on a map like a paint program? Meaning select a building from a menu and plant it on the ground. Or shape my hallways to a limited extent? Or choose what planets are in my space mission? Where the asteroids are?

-Can I initiate cutscenes?

-How wacky can I get? Such as could I make a game of TAG with the tool? Or a DotA (for the ******** and Starcraft people)? A game of hide and seek?

-Can I make a chain mission that will automatically offer the next one after the first is complete?

-Can I fully control the actions of all NPCs? LIke when they attack (maybe only once attacked first), if they're dancing, if they ally and follow you around, emotes, timing of movement and attacks, etc?

-Are all these options too much because it'll be frightfully cookiecutter???

IMO there should be two modes. A mode that makes missions that are somewhat cookiecutter but offer rewards. A mode with much more options that makes a wider variety of possible missions but because of the possibility of abuse offers no rewards.

If the tool is good enough rewards won't matter. It'll become popular like the UGC in ******** and Starcraft (not AS popular ). Just fun. However, that'll be hard to pull off.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax

-Will we be able to put the players into specific roles? Like, say we DIDN'T want them to play themselves but play a specific character in a story? Maybe Data's second cousin, Shmata.

-If not could we "trick" it by simply changing the characters looks for that map? Also... can we change the character's looks? lol

-Can we use the Character Creator to customize some NPCs? (of course some wouldn't be customizable but maybe just Federation and Klingon NPCs)

-Can we give custom abilities to players for our missions (just in that mission not outside)?

-Can we make PvP maps?

-Can we change the stats of NPCs? Maybe I want a Ferengi uber boss? This would allow for basically making Fleet actions and increase customizability greatly.

-Can we change the abilities of NPCs? Like give them different weapons, give them different abilities, blablabla?

-How free is the map making? Can I put stuff on a map like a paint program? Meaning select a building from a menu and plant it on the ground. Or shape my hallways to a limited extent? Or choose what planets are in my space mission? Where the asteroids are?

-How wacky can I get? Such as could I make a game of TAG with the tool? Or a DotA (for the ******** and Starcraft people)? A game of hide and seek?

-Can I make a chain mission that will automatically offer the next one after the first is complete?

-Can I fully control the actions of all NPCs? LIke when they attack (maybe only once attacked first), if they're dancing, if they ally and follow you around, emotes, timing of movement and attacks, etc?

IMO there should be two modes. A mode that makes missions that are somewhat cookiecutter but offer rewards. A mode with much more options that makes a wider variety of possible missions but because of the possibility of abuse offers no rewards.

If the tool is good enough rewards won't matter. It'll become popular like the UGC in ******** and Starcraft (not AS popular ). Just fun. However, that'll be hard to pull off.
They've said that we can use the character creator in UGC to customize npcs. I think Mapolis told us that.
He also had a few things to say about cutscenes. AtomicFB put together a list of Mapolis' statements at the UGC blog. You will find answers, lol
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:

-Can we make PvP maps?

No on all accounts sorry, every play CoH, well there you go
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp-Gun
Good thing Paragon developed UGC for CoH - a while after they acquired CoH from Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Will we be able to disarm characters and prevent beam out, like if the story required them to be taken prisoner?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpell
Will we be able to disarm characters and prevent beam out, like if the story required them to be taken prisoner?
Probably not. Any mission can be suspended by beaming out, to allow players to continue them later or go off and do something different.

Real Life trumps Plot in this case.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-09-2010, 06:43 PM
What are you talking about? Beaming out of a UGC mission would obviously take all statuses away from your character.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
What are you talking about? Beaming out of a UGC mission would obviously take all statuses away from your character.
Any mission in general. It's why the Hirogen's traps don't have any teeth. You can beam back in later to continue the scene that you left it at, but you're never in any real peril.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp-Gun
right, because you know EVERYTHING there is to know about UGC.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/ugc...-yellow-posts/

OP here is a good list of UGC stuff, taken straight from a big thread in the Klingon section
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Fine, I will!

Quote:

This would be a pretty big departure from the norm in STO in general, but I can see the potential of this idea. I wouldn't expect it in the first iteration.

Quote:
Yes, there will be a fully functional costume creator complete with costume pieces that players have access to currently as well as some extra NPC-only ones.

Quote:

-Can we make PvP maps?

Not in the first version of the tools.

Quote:
The map editor is pretty open and flexible. You'll be able to place props freely, adjust height and rotation, and design your own space maps from scratch. For ground and interior maps, you will be able to select from pre-populated or empty starter maps that you can layer detail onto. Creating custom room layouts and editing terrain is in development, but will likely not be in the first release.

Quote:
Not yet.

Quote:
I suppose you can use marker volumes to make a game of hide and seek, where the enemy you're looking for appears when you move into the volume. Something like tag could be accomplished once we have patrols in. I'm not sure what you mean by DotA. PVP missions won't be available for UGC authors at first, but this is something we will add.

Quote:
Not at first.

Quote:
We're working on a system that will let you have tighter control over NPC behaviors, but it's unclear how finished it will be by the first release of the tools.