Lt. Commander
# 1 Fire and forget torpedo
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
The F-14 tomcat could could track 24 targets at one time and fire 6 AIM-54 Phoenix rockets at six separate targets at once... why in the 24th century we can no longer track multiple targets and can only fire torpedos on targets that are right in front or behind us (depending on your load out) Shouldn't torpedos be fired and beable to track your target no matter where they are.

The Galaxy class fed turns so slowly I mounted phasers fore and torpedos aft because it was easier to turn my back on the enemy to fire the torpedo than to try and out turn a BOP
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Eraser
The F-14 tomcat could could track 24 targets at one time and fire 6 AIM-54 Phoenix rockets at six separate targets at once... why in the 24th century we can no longer track multiple targets and can only fire torpedos on targets that are right in front or behind us (depending on your load out) Shouldn't torpedos be fired and beable to track your target no matter where they are.

The Galaxy class fed turns so slowly I mounted phasers fore and torpedos aft because it was easier to turn my back on the enemy to fire the torpedo than to try and out turn a BOP
Because that would kill balance?
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Someone deserves a COOOKIIIIEEE!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:

Is this a question to Cryptic or a question to CBS/Paramount/et al.? In the shows we see torpedos going forward and backward from ships via the launchers. Ships generally turned to face each other when launching torps. So it's cannon and reflects the look and feel of Trek.

So your issue can't be with Cryptic, who are only providing what the IP has portrayed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-27-2010, 11:25 AM
In theory yes it should.

game play wise NO.

the game is about maneuvering, and firing. you line up your arc and fire while at the same time avoiding their arcs. torpedoes are heavy hitters, and so you must line up to get the shot. If it wasn't this way then the game would be just a slug fest without having to worry about tactic's and maneuvers. personally I like it the way it is now because it forces me to think about each attack, and at the same time I have to worry about avoiding attacks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought this would be an issue of target tracking. As it stands, torpedoes are fly-by-wire and track onto whatever target you select, even in mid-flight.

While this is much cooler than torpedoes flying all over the place, i'm sad that this wasn't a discussion on why torpedoes can't have a single-plot solution.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Balance? but where is the balance when as a klingon I can cloak turn tail and run from overwhelming odds... I get 18 and 20 km out turn to reinfiltrate the target and here comes that torp they fired just as I left their field of fire?

federation or klingon you should be able to break target lock by running.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
If you really think about it, the F-14 ONLY fires forward, and the reason it can do that is because the missiles you cite are long-range AA missiles that can pop a target at hundreds of miles.

Also, targetting gets more accurate and easier to obtain when your either just moving away from, or towards a target. If your flying past an object thats manuvering, the targeting gets a little more fun to work out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
If you really think about it, the F-14 ONLY fires forward, and the reason it can do that is because the missiles you cite are long-range AA missiles that can pop a target at hundreds of miles.

Also, targetting gets more accurate and easier to obtain when your either just moving away from, or towards a target. If your flying past an object thats manuvering, the targeting gets a little more fun to work out.
so in the 21st century we can lock on a forward target and kill 6 at once, but in 300 years we won't beable to target anything except for what is in front of us? Also by this logic an airplane has to fly forward so it makes sense that it can only target those that are infront of it... In space you are no longer dominated by only flying forward. You can fly back ward, upward, or just move to your right. it would then make sense to be able to target enemies from any direction.

but what about the latest version of the apache... the Long Bow apache can receive targeting data from each other and do not need to peak out to fire. they can recieve the data and fire from behind cover of trees and hill tops while only one squadmate is high enough so his mast radar dish is above the tree tops.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
so in the 21st century we can lock on a forward target and kill 6 at once, but in 300 years we won't beable to target anything except for what is in front of us? Also by this logic an airplane has to fly forward so it makes sense that it can only target those that are infront of it... In space you are no longer dominated by only flying forward. You can fly back ward, upward, or just move to your right. it would then make sense to be able to target enemies from any direction.

but what about the latest version of the apache... the Long Bow apache can receive targeting data from each other and do not need to peak out to fire. they can recieve the data and fire from behind cover of trees and hill tops while only one squadmate is high enough so his mast radar dish is above the tree tops.
1. You don't want to fire a torpedo and have it hit a nacelle or start turning prematurely in the tube.

2. Torpedo maneuverability is a huge issue as well. For something traveling with a high velocity and rate of acceleration it would need to expend an enormous amount of energy to turn in vacuum. Missiles can turn more accurately in atmosphere because of the flow of air passing over stabilizing fins. The same reason submarines cant fire torpedoes reliably underwater is why ST ships can't fire them reliably from any angle in space.

3. Ship maneuverability in Star Trek is not as it is in reality. You can't flip over or spin because the nature of impulse and warp drive prevents it. Watching the Enterprise-D navigate the asteroid field in Booby Trap shows how unwieldy starships can be.

4. Enemy ships can still be targeted and maintained as you dip behind an asteroid. You could reasonably peek up and fire torpedoes all day so long as the target remains stationary.

5. The deflector dish and sensor arrays are positioned close to the ships hull so as to prevent damage from battle or stellar debris, negating your final point.