# 11
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
/Signed

Great thread.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Awesome idea...

.. but theres not enough money and personnel to make it ever happen, ..okay.. maybe then in 2015 with Season 13?

If Cryptic only had the will and power to bring in half of the creative and wonderful fleshed out sandbox-content players can think of, STO would be a dream of a game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-01-2010, 04:42 AM
Whoa, lots of effort went into this, nice job
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragoon View Post
With the launch of Season 2, a long requested feature. starship interiors, will soon be added to the game. While it's still limited, I see a lot of potential here. One feature that I would like to see eventually implemented is customized layouts for your ship. The more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized that this could get quite complicated. So I set out to try and simplify and mockup what such a system might look like. Plus, shiny graphics make a proposal much more appealing. And here it is:

http://www.greendragoon.com/sto/sto-interior-editor.jpg
This is really 100% AWESOME! Very nice work with your graphic and the ideas.
Customized layouts is another thing my heart is glowing for. I really like to customize things in this game. And with this system, we could really try out the job of an starfleet ship designer / engineer and build our own (canon like) ships. And visiting ship interiors from friends & fleeties, would be really fun and interesting. So i am definitely support this idea and thread! If this is technical doable, i would love to see this in the next season updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-T-Riker
Whould be nice, i want this, too. But i whould be happy if we could change Colors of Ground and Walls and select Pictures and some Iteams.
I am a fan of different pictures too. Imagine a system that allows us, to choose from our own screenshots we took in this game. As for the changing of the ground and wall colors, i would think that "canon theme sets" would do the job. But yeah, its a way we could even more customize things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Shepherd
Now all we need is a choice of different interior styles for rooms/corridors (for example, Sovereign-style corridors, Intrepid-style ready rooms, etc.) - that'd be perfect.
Personally i am a BIG fan of the Galaxy & Intrepid class interiors. Simply because they are looking very welcoming. Like an environment where you really feel comfortable. And that has a great deal to do (like someone, somewhere, in this forum already postet) with the choice of colors. The interior of the Enterprise-D is warm. You can almost feel that this is a ship ment for exploration, peace and where families live on board. The Enterprise-E on the other side is a ship with strong military influences, and you can see and "feel" it. The interior of the Defiant is small (like the ship), you maybe get the feeling of an u-boat, and like the Enterprise-E in a military style. The Voyager is kind of a middle thing. I like the overall grey tone of the interior design. It gives the ship a modern, little military, clean and cool look. Here are some references:

Corridors at Memory Alpha 01 + 02

Galaxy class corridor
Intrepid class corridor
Sovereign class corridor (First Contact - blue lights) + (Insurrection - white normal lights) + (Nemesis - red alert lights)
Defiant class corridor

If we get these canon themes / styles for our interiors, a lot of us would be in heaven!
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard83 View Post
...If we get these canon themes / styles for our interiors, a lot of us would be in heaven!
I actually don't want to wait THAT long... ^^
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't mind the pictures around the ship being my latest screenshots minus the HUD :p

This would be a great idea should it ever be an option for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
First off let me say thank you to everyone! I'm really glad you guys like it. And all this discussion and suggestions are awesome! Ok, on to specific thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindvampire View Post
Definitely a must have!!!!!

Cryptic.... make it so!

One possible solution for the problem how to avoid putting walls agains windows is a rough outline of a section through the current ships hull at the position of the current deck. However then the primary turbolift must be positionable, and the scale of the decks' exterior have to match the interior.
That is to funny. :p As it happens the first draft I did actually DID have an outline of the ship exterior to act as boundaries for your deck. There was even an outline of an Akira-class ship. Unfortunately, as I was finishing it up, I found that to be realistic, the outline had to be huge, and it was far to easy to get lost in it. And that was just an Akira, can you imagine a Galaxy? So I cut it on the grounds that it was just making things more complicated for no reason. It's not like you could tell once you were done editing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindvampire View Post
And I have an addition: Jeffries tubes between the corridors and emergency ladders inside the turbolift shafts to get from deck to deck in case of a system failure.

Could you make this inside your nice mockup?
For that I have to ask the question, how would, could, should Jeffries tubes work? The don't really have a presence in the game, (other than than one mission which pretty much skips over the crawling through the tubes part,) so I really don't know how they should be implemented. I suppose it could take the form of small room that "leads" to the Jeffries tube network. Plus I always kind of figured that the Jeffries tubes usually ran in between the decks. So perhaps they're something else entirely.

Additionally, their use only comes into play during a crisis, i.e. a ship board mission. I've kind of avoided those on the grounds that I don't know how these would work yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremor
Awesome idea...

.. but theres not enough money and personnel to make it ever happen, ..okay.. maybe then in 2015 with Season 13?

If Cryptic only had the will and power to bring in half of the creative and wonderful fleshed out sandbox-content players can think of, STO would be a dream of a game.
I tried while making this, to keep it as simple as possible, from a tech standpoint all it worries about is which door connects to which door. No position or rotation. That said, I'm not going to pretend there isn't some serious, and brand new, tech in this proposal. I would be shock to see it before Season 3, and Season 4 seems more likely.

You never know though, it could be the Secret Project!

Quote:
I am a fan of different pictures too. Imagine a system that allows us, to choose from our own screenshots we took in this game. As for the changing of the ground and wall colors, i would think that "canon theme sets" would do the job. But yeah, its a way we could even more customize things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGrizz View Post
I wouldn't mind the pictures around the ship being my latest screenshots minus the HUD

This would be a great idea should it ever be an option for Cryptic.
I almost see picture customization, and customization of any specific items, as a separate system entirely. If you think about it, there is already a remarkably similar system in place, the trophy system. I don't think it would take a lot of work to adapt it for use for items other than trophies. I wouldn't mind seeing a little polish on the interface to make it easier than navigating menus.

As for using screenshots, the only hiccup I see is that at the moment is that screenshots are stored locally, not server side. But they have some kind of tech that gets screenshots of your character to the captains database, so it may well be doable.

Quote:
Personally i am a BIG fan of the Galaxy & Intrepid class interiors. Simply because they are looking very welcoming. Like an environment where you really feel comfortable. And that has a great deal to do (like someone, somewhere, in this forum already postet) with the choice of colors. The interior of the Enterprise-D is warm. You can almost feel that this is a ship ment for exploration, peace and where families live on board. The Enterprise-E on the other side is a ship with strong military influences, and you can see and "feel" it. The interior of the Defiant is small (like the ship), you maybe get the feeling of an u-boat, and like the Enterprise-E in a military style. The Voyager is kind of a middle thing. I like the overall grey tone of the interior design. It gives the ship a modern, little military, clean and cool look. Here are some references:

If we get these canon themes / styles for our interiors, a lot of us would be in heaven!
I would like to see lots more options in what kind of corridors you have, including canon ship corridors. We have lots of options for bridges, why not other rooms? (Eventually of course, I realize these things take time to crank out.) It would also be nice to have customizable textures, such as the LCARS color scheme or the texture of the walls.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragoon View Post
AWESOME!!! That would be GREAT!!!
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-03-2010, 05:18 PM
nice idea!!!
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
looks like a great idea. now only if cryptic could implement this...