Lt. Commander
# 1 Thoughts on ship interiors...
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
So now that I had time to fully explore my ship interior, I'd like the dev's to think of something that might motivate me to visit it a second time. Here are some ideas I came up with (and which probably other people already thought of as well and I'm just too lazy to go look)...

#1: Let's customize our fish!
Yes, this is #1 because it should be a priority. I've got a big o'l fish tank in my ready room. They're pretty boring, but not in the same way real fish are boring. Perhaps it'd be an option in the future to add a little exotic variety for entertainment's sake...maybe even some carnivorous species with some docile ones and watch the fun!

#2: Working replicators.
But not for the same stuff you can replicate in your inventory tab. Stuff that you'd actually have to go into the ship interior to get and might need, maybe to accomplish a specific goal for a mission.

#3: Chief Medical Officers?
Sick bay just isn't sick bay without a CMO tending to the patients. Okay, there weren't any patients in my sick bay. Either it was a good healthy day for my crew or this hasn't been worked in. Figured there's at least be one poor sod in there with a broken arm from annoying my Klingon TO.

#4: Assigning our BOs to more than just bridge posts.
One of my engineering officers could be my chief engineer, or manning the transporter console. Heck, this might even develop into specialized skills for those BO's...for example, if I could assign someone as chief engineer, their skills could be a little beefier, or they could add an extra skill slot or somethng.

#5: Episodes set in our ships?
Lots of series episodes never leave the interior of the ship; it'd show a lot of creativity to get to play an episode where we fend off a boarding party, or try to make contact with an alien presence that's taken interest in my ship, or try to figure out why everyone's gone crazy and wants to make love to the warp core...lots of possibilities there, I think.

#6 Could a holodeck be next?
I'm thinking this would be quite a bit of work, especially if people wanted to create custimized holodeck programs. Maybe start it off with some canned holodeck settings, maybe even from the series. Maybe I'd like to visit Fair Haven, or try Worf's battle training program...see the possibilities?

What do people think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Personally i can't believe they wasted time on something as insignificant as ship interiors. How about fixing bugs instead of placating fan boys?
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigastazio
So now that I had time to fully explore my ship interior, I'd like the dev's to think of something that might motivate me to visit it a second time. Here are some ideas I came up with (and which probably other people already thought of as well and I'm just too lazy to go look)...

#1: Let's customize our fish!
Yes, this is #1 because it should be a priority. I've got a big o'l fish tank in my ready room. They're pretty boring, but not in the same way real fish are boring. Perhaps it'd be an option in the future to add a little exotic variety for entertainment's sake...maybe even some carnivorous species with some docile ones and watch the fun!

#2: Working replicators.
But not for the same stuff you can replicate in your inventory tab. Stuff that you'd actually have to go into the ship interior to get and might need, maybe to accomplish a specific goal for a mission.

#3: Chief Medical Officers?
Sick bay just isn't sick bay without a CMO tending to the patients. Okay, there weren't any patients in my sick bay. Either it was a good healthy day for my crew or this hasn't been worked in. Figured there's at least be one poor sod in there with a broken arm from annoying my Klingon TO.

#4: Assigning our BOs to more than just bridge posts.
One of my engineering officers could be my chief engineer, or manning the transporter console. Heck, this might even develop into specialized skills for those BO's...for example, if I could assign someone as chief engineer, their skills could be a little beefier, or they could add an extra skill slot or somethng.

#5: Episodes set in our ships?
Lots of series episodes never leave the interior of the ship; it'd show a lot of creativity to get to play an episode where we fend off a boarding party, or try to make contact with an alien presence that's taken interest in my ship, or try to figure out why everyone's gone crazy and wants to make love to the warp core...lots of possibilities there, I think.

#6 Could a holodeck be next?
I'm thinking this would be quite a bit of work, especially if people wanted to create custimized holodeck programs. Maybe start it off with some canned holodeck settings, maybe even from the series. Maybe I'd like to visit Fair Haven, or try Worf's battle training program...see the possibilities?

What do people think?

No issues with any of these. But I'm willing to forgive the devs for now. They did just intro the interiors. But I too would like to see some fleshing out in future seasons.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
4. Especially 4. The only thing I want more than that is the ability to make everyone on my ship, BOff or not, wear the same fraking uniform.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh, and to bring up another point, why are people beaming onto my bridge? That's what transporter rooms are for. Beam them there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUNK007 View Post
Personally i can't believe they wasted time on something as insignificant as ship interiors. How about fixing bugs instead of placating fan boys?
Personally I can't believe that something as significant as an interior was not in the game from day 1. Watch any Star Trek episode or movie, at least half of the time will be spent inside the ship.

Interiors are necessary to STO. There is so much room for expansion there. We need better scale and layouts.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUNK007 View Post
It's a Star Trek MMO. "Fan Boys" make up virtually the entire customer base.

Dunnlang:

You're right, ship interiors very integral to what people think of as Star Trek, a huge amount of time was spent on them in every incarnation of Trek - most of it, in fact. Enjoying the diplomatic missions so far and look forward to them - a great change of pace, very much in the style of Trek on TV (and would make sense to see more of them on board your ship).

I really think they need to be fleshed out in terms of layout and polish - as well as functionality (and ultimately, missions). Tying existing rooms in - like docking / cargo bays and the lounge in should be on the list to make them feel really part of your ship (if they were, their value might be more obvious to those who don't see it currently).
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Still waiting to be able to choose where my BOs sit on the bridge.

I couldnt care less about interiors as long as my bridge looks like I want it to.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
Personally I can't believe that something as significant as an interior was not in the game from day 1. Watch any Star Trek episode or movie, at least half of the time will be spent inside the ship.

Interiors are necessary to STO. There is so much room for expansion there. We need better scale and layouts.
To do what? Look at?

I'd perfer something that actually added to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
There is so much room for expansion there. We need better scale and layouts.
If I had to break my upcoming super-thread on interiors down to two points.....

...those would be the points.

Stay tuned....