Lt. Commander
# 11
07-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUNK007 View Post
To do what? Look at?

I'd perfer something that actually added to the game.
So we can have missions on board - both combat and diplomatic, as a social hub, as an obvious place for extended gameplay mechanics (mini games, crafting, additional replication / purchasing), and because it's immersive.

Did you watch much Trek on TV? With the exception of DS9, obviously set on board the station, every incarnation of Trek on TV spent the majority of it's time on drama set on board the ship (not least because it was cheaper and easier to film, but never the less, it's absolutely core to what people think of as being Star Trek).

If you will recall, the original published rendering tests and mockups by Perpetual were virtually all interior shots. Cryptic not having ship interiors at launch (except in combat missions) was very odd IMO. Particularly as the ship based maps in early combat missions are pretty good.

It's absolutely true to suggest interiors seem pointless and currently add little to nothing, however. They are limited in scope and customization, unpolished and completely without purpose (other than the most minimal of social hubs) - but it's obviously a starting point because Cryptic have, clearly, been working on others things too for Season 2 (even if I think a little more focus to bring ground / ship combat up to the same level of polish as PvE space combat would be welcome).

I would say - in their current state - they could have left them out till later in Season 2 (or even 3) and I wouldn't have been hugely unhappy, because I'd rather see new content meet a minimum level of completion / polish, which interiors don't quite reach at the moment IMO.

I'm enthusiastic about the doors and the interior modeling of the rooms, but not the layout and corridor scale - which I don't think is an issue that is going to go away until some some remodeling is done. We've seen that Cryptic can do it well, it just feels rushed and that it wasn't given much of priority (or maybe it was just done late in the schedule).

Probably fair to say more people were moaning louder about being able to refit ships, new content - in particular Klingon PvE content - and while I personally wasn't as fussed about that, it seems they made some reasonable calls regarding what people were asking for and responded to demand accordingly.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
If I had to break my upcoming super-thread on interiors down to two points.....

...those would be the points.

Stay tuned....
I've been trumpeting those two ideas for the last week and a half on the forums. For RP, form = function. Get it close and feeling like a ship and that will appease a great deal of the player base. It can be used for RP as they fill in the mini games, bonuses and missions. Interiors can add a ton to the game beyond RP.

I have been posting the following the last week or so:

Proposed Adjustment:
Without resizing anything, I came up with an alternate layout for Small. I feel this makes much more sense, since it allows for more rooms to be added around the outside, where there are windows, and protects the Sick Bay in an accessible, central, location. This feels much less sprawling and haphazard.

Proposed Small Layout (picture)
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-27-2010, 06:16 PM
People asked for Ship interiors...and people received. I wouldn't complain about that.

I think there is potential so that we can have missions on our ships among other things.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Patience. They just added the interiors. Let them get them right then let them add missions to it.