Lt. Commander
Once you become an Attaché in the Diplomatic Corps system, you get access to something called "newspaper" missions.

What are they, exactly? How do they work? Are they daily, or are they accessible every 30 minutes like the Star cluster triple-exploration mission?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
Once you become an Attaché in the Diplomatic Corps system, you get access to something called "newspaper" missions.

What are they, exactly? How do they work? Are they daily, or are they accessible every 30 minutes like the Star cluster triple-exploration mission?
Its like a word of mouth kind of mission, for example:

You talk to Jiro and ask whats available and, he says I have heard about some activity in Delta Volonas sector.

BUT, you get no mission.

Instead you head to Delta Volonas and when you enter the system there will be a button in the lower right that says something on the lines of: "Diplomatic Mission" or Diplomatic Solution" ETC...

So basically it was like you looked at an article in a newspaper and decided, Hey, I'm going to go check that out!

hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-28-2010, 05:10 AM
Check out the guide:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=171157

If it's missing info, let me know, but it should help.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-30-2010, 02:56 PM
yay for guides!
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Rehes
Check out the guide:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=171157

If it's missing info, let me know, but it should help.
The guide has no references to "newspaper" missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
This is slang brought over from Cryptic's former game, City of Heroes/Villains. In that game you'd get random spawned "newspaper" missions. The premise being you'd read the newspaper to find out about new crime taking place to stop or new crime opportunities to embark upon (depending on if you were a hero or a villain). If I gloss over details, sorry. It's been a long time. But the general gist is ... the slang comes from that game and it references timed random missions granted to you. Knowing that ... they apply to STO's diplomacy ...

Quote:
What are they, exactly?
At Rank 1 (attache) Ambassador Jiro Siguhara starts to tell you where to find diplomatic missions. It's once per hour. It's usually in a random zone. Delta Volanis comes up a lot. It won't appear in your mission log. So remember where it is. It lets you get 10 guaranteed DXP per hour. At higher levels (I belive Consul), you get 2 of them. Every half hour. First Contact Missions also become available. At Envoy I believe. The testing on live server is that they spawn once every 5 hours. There are some other missions PLANNED, but they haven't gone live yet.

Quote:
How do they work? Are they daily, or are they accessible every 30 minutes like the Star cluster triple-exploration mission?
See above, I hope that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This is slang brought over from Cryptic's former game, City of Heroes/Villains. In that game you'd get random spawned "newspaper" missions. The premise being you'd read the newspaper to find out about new crime taking place to stop or new crime opportunities to embark upon (depending on if you were a hero or a villain). If I gloss over details, sorry. It's been a long time. But the general gist is ... the slang comes from that game and it references timed random missions granted to you. Knowing that ... they apply to STO's diplomacy ...
This is correct. Someone on the STO Team should not have used that terminology in that description.

And basically, Star Cluster missions are an evolution/upgrade from Newspaper missions. Instead of reading the Newspaper and picking one of 4 headlines which gives you a generic mission... we "scan the anomaly" which opens a random generic mission.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomtotheO
The guide has no references to "newspaper" missions.
Starfleet doesn't have newspapers!

But Superchum is right. What someone is calling "Newspaper" missions are what the game is calling "Diplomatic Investigations".
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-01-2010, 11:47 PM
The latest patch has changed the newspaper terminology to something more suitable.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
But Superchum is right. What someone is calling "Newspaper" missions are what the game is calling "Diplomatic Investigations".
I was wondering what those Newspaper missions were.