Lt. Commander
# 11 Be gone with them
07-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Remove Ramming Speed and Abandon Ship - Replace with new powers.

I personnally do not use ramming speed or abandon ship at all and it has been that way since OB. Completely pointless abilities.
On this we agree also

I only used mine as a EM to get away and rebuild shields/hull anyway when I got in to deep.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Personally i wish they made it the other way around.

"Can only use Ramming speed if your TARGET has 50% hull or less"

This change is just to appease all the RSP *****s in their brand shiny new Gal-X's whining loudly cos they get fried.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I find ramming speed completely insulting and nothing but a colossal waste of time trying to fix when noone is going to be happy with the result.

Oh sure, Nemesis looked so cool with the E-E plowing into the Scimitar but it shocks me people think this should be something incorporated into a game considering the fact the movie was SPECIFICALLY scripted to make that entire tactic work.

All Shinzon had to do was order full reverse or just NOT park like a dummy waiting to get sucker punched.

Put Ramming speed in the game - look what happens people just use it like another attack power right off the bat which is completely silly from a gameplay perspective and a immersion one.

Naturally: Ramming speed gets nerfed again and again, now its 50%, people want it lower and without the stacking issues I quickly see Ramming speed getting nerfed AGAIN.

At best this thing is a niche ability, at worse its a completely pointless gimick that is never going to live up to expectations. Same as Abandon ship although that really IS completely pointless.

Replace them with an ability that can be used in general... another Evasive Manuvers, a special hold breaker etc. That way it you wont have to do this stupid nonsense of making it only work at X hull and only have X stacking.

Easiest soultion:
Remove these abilities completely and replace the skill with a passive 'if I get under X hull random NPC will come to help me'
I know that becomes an ability LATER but how about having one that is passive AND one that can be activated.

The power bars are getting woefully full for powers so freeing up space by adding PASSIVE benefits even if it's chance based powers seems way more beneficial than trying to balance ramming speed and WAY more useful than the worthless abandon ship.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
i hate this change. we all know ramming speed was only broken because it stacked with damage abilities and speed abilities to get absurd one shot damage levels.

now we have another 90% useless power to go with the 100% useless abandon ship. except it can STILL get those absurd damage levels. Silly. Silly.
Yes it was absurd when it worked with Evasive Maneuvers, but they fixed that. The real problem was that people were using Ramming Speed as a way to escape combat in PvP, rather than as the last resort attack it was intended to be. Season 2 fixes that, thankfully.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-28-2010, 08:29 PM
It was a good call on Cryptics behalf. Bravo gentlemen and women!
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I just have to toss in my two cents on this.

I am one of those people who used it as an attack, and loved it as such. It worked fine before IMO as it had a 3 mintue cooldown, a 4 second duration, and hitting ships bigger then your own really hurt. It also always put me in a very dangerous postion, but it was nice for taking out a small ship I wasn't shooting at or getting the drop on a bigger ship with a good chunk of hull damage and shortening the fight....for one of us. In any case I found this to be my favorite ability thus far and now I won't hold up long enough to aim my ship at anything by the time my hull gets to 50% for it to be any good.

As such i'd like to see it go back to before, maybe a bit more damage penalty to the attacking ship, or perhaps a random subsystem be taken out on contact instead, perhaps to both ships? After all, a high speed collision isn't going to just take out some hull plating when you have engines sticking out on sticks.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-28-2010, 09:31 PM
awwww, no more vo-quv CRUSH finishers for me...
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-29-2010, 01:51 AM
I hate the 50% requirement. I tried ramming in PvP today in my Sovereign........and I missed. So it ended up looking like an attempt to escape via emergency thrust. Which is pretty much the only thing Ramming Speed is good for nowdays.

Ramming became a problem when people were stacking engine buffs to increase the damage potential. So all Cryptic had to do was raise the counter back to 5 minutes and cap the buffs. Instead of this STUPID limitation.

As for Abandon Ship, it would be worth it if there was a hull damage limitation as a requirement and the result is a HUGE warp core explosion, like a Borg Cube exploding. Of course it should affect everyone so you could end up taking allies with you. So people wouldn't be quick to use.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-29-2010, 02:11 AM
I am very glad this is gone. I did some PVP as RA upper half on my Star Cruiser and I thoroughly enjoyed not having all of the enemy ships crashing into me all freakin' match.

Thank you, devs, for doing this. It's much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
As for Abandon Ship, it would be worth it if there was a hull damage limitation as a requirement and the result is a HUGE warp core explosion, like a Borg Cube exploding. Of course it should affect everyone so you could end up taking allies with you. So people wouldn't be quick to use.
This is an interesting idea. Something could be used to make Abandon Ship worthwhile; I don't use it now because it's pointless ... does it even do more damage than getting blown to bits normally?

Course, there could be a non-combat solution; using Abandon Ship halves your respawn timer. What do people think of that?
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-29-2010, 04:07 AM
i think the old ramming speed was ok, except the reuse timer.
to ram someone / something means allways lethal damage to the target _and_ the own ship.
it should be considered as an act of desperation.
in such a case it should not be a criteria, how the state of target and ramming ships are. when the captain orders to ram, then it must be done.

the reuse timer should be changed, as i allready told, its an act of desperation. concerning this, the reuse timer should be at least 15minutes. probably even 30minutes.