Lt. Commander
# 21
07-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyndor View Post
the reuse timer should be changed, as i allready told, its an act of desperation. concerning this, the reuse timer should be at least 15minutes. probably even 30minutes.
An 'act of desperation' can only emerge out of a desperate situation, rather than a timer until the next opening move AP stacked ram attack... the 50% hull trigger is a elegant way of simulating that.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-29-2010, 04:53 AM
sure, a long timer is not perfect, too. on the other hand, the 50% hull trigger is a still larger restriction

you can be in a desperate situation even though your ship is in perfect shape.
due to a long reuse timer, you would use it only in an appropriate situation (& only when you can be sure, that the ram attack will destroy the target)

(btw. if you ask me, stacking attack patterns on ramming speed have allwys been a bug, this should not be possible)
Lt. Commander
# 23 This is total &@^*&^
07-29-2010, 05:27 AM
This is absolute equine ecrement.

I only use ramming speed to FLEE or help assist in getting away when I have no other option.

I don't crash into things except as an act of absolute desperation. I use ramming speed to flee.

Gee, thanks so much! Why is my ship more capable when i only have a little bit of shields and hull left? If its an act of desperation, that act should be able to be performed at ANY TIME. Desperation is relative to the person(s) involved.

WHY didnt Cryptic just make it more damaging if you hit something with a full compliment of shields and hull?

Why did Cryptic take a nuclear weapon to a fly swatter contest?

All that had to be done was make the damage VERY severe if a combination of high shields and hull strength were present. Call it, "crushing an egshell between a hammer and anvil."

"Captain, we dare not use Ramming speed with our shields at this strength, it will crush us against the bulkheads!"

Lets just destroy more good stuff while we are at it!

have you fixed the anomalies yet? NOoooooooooooo!

GRRRRR
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-29-2010, 06:47 AM
I would like the addition of a cut-scene similiar to what I saw in Animal House, right before the Frat boys rammed the stands - when I initiate Ramming speed.

The Train Whistle, Yelling and screaming, the whole scene.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Who uses Ramming Speed to run away?

I mean, I know people do it in the game. But I mean from a logical standpoint. When have you ever heard of a Captain calling for Ramming Speed... only to sail/fly away in the opposite direction?
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
Who uses Ramming Speed to run away?

I mean, I know people do it in the game. But I mean from a logical standpoint. When have you ever heard of a Captain calling for Ramming Speed... only to sail/fly away in the opposite direction?
I hear you. I also know that its seen as emergency power to the engines. as a last ditch effort to move out of the way.

I use ramming speed to get out of the way of rammers.

NOW, the benefit has been given to the rammers, if I am fully healthy, and I dont have evasive manuevers left, I get rammed.

Gee, thanks alot! This benefits the rammers and not the rammed.

FAIL
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
"Perhaps today is a good day to die... PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!"

As it was confirmed in beta, Worf's First Contact quote was the basis for STO ramming speed. The dev's envisioned a hopeless scenario and came up with abandoned ship & ramming speed. Both canonical choices to give a ship captain. Any other uses of the abilities is creative use of the gaming mechanics. Just understand that the devs do not want players mindlessly using their ship as a wrecking ball and killing their OWN crew members over and over again.

Having a ship at a certain percentage of hull health attempts to simulate this as best as possible with game mechanics.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
yes Mizzou.Tigers, this is defentely such a situation.
but here can be more situations wich allows such a self-destructive behaviour.
each time they have an intact ship and order a selfdestruct. sure, they will evaquate. but whenever there is reason for the captain to destroy his own ship, shouldn't exist such a risk, that they won't manage to escape?

alternatively it can be possible that the crew thinks that reaching the order goal is it value to die (i hope i expressed not too abstrusely)
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I had no problem with ramming speed on an individual level until I was in a match with a fleet that used ramming speed to severly damage 3 ships with serial rams by all their ships into 3 ships on my side. They did this before firing one shot. Ramming speed + APB + APA + FOMM + GDF + EM + from full impulse was nasty usually only cruisers would survive but at 20% hull. Yeah after that I was all for the nerf and i hope they nerf it further 50% hull is far too early, it should be lower so that your death is assured.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
I had no problem with ramming speed on an individual level until I was in a match with a fleet that used ramming speed to severly damage 3 ships with serial rams by all their ships into 3 ships on my side. They did this before firing one shot. Ramming speed + APB + APA + FOMM + GDF + EM + from full impulse was nasty usually only cruisers would survive but at 20% hull. Yeah after that I was all for the nerf and i hope they nerf it further 50% hull is far too early, it should be lower so that your death is assured.
Exactly. In a 3v5 (i was on the side with 3) I was rammed three times in a row one right after the other; I'm talking a few seconds delay between them. Their tactic revolved around ramming speed and its cool-down. They even used the cloak-ram combo a number of times. It just wasn't any fun at all. Against my better judgement I spoke up in zone chat and said, "hey, there's only 3 of us... do you really need to ram spam to win?" Anyway, I think the change is a good thing.