Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
07-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Voiceovers don't need to be done by famous people. In fact, I think that actually DETRACTS from the experience.

All we need is for our Bridge Officers to occasionally deliver information in an auditory form. Having someone actually make a verbal comment from time to time can go a long way towards giving the world life.

"Entering standard orbit, Captain"
"Scanning the anomaly now"
"Klingons decloaking!"
"Looking for ship upgrades, eh? Lemme show you what Starfleet has available for you..."

All of these could really give the world some life.
We had that in early closed Beta, you actually had different voice options for your boffs, like how you choose stances. Something didn't work right and that feature got pulled, but since it was there it has a good chance to return. I hope.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSurpeme
You may want to look again bud. The warp core room is Identical to the one in the tutorial. None of the interiors was made from the ground up.
The curved hallways, stardrive section and sickbay I believe were designed just for interiors.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I think the interiors are a great addition and Iím really happy they are here now. It was fantastic they were added this soon after launch. Personally I would like to see some variety in interiors in the future and would be willing to pay via the C-Store for some interiors to match the tone my favorite bridges. Any additional functionality in the interiors would be nice. I like the idea of sick bay being able to heal players using advanced difficulty. Maybe open up a new room on board where the ship tailor works. Sort of sad having to go all the way back to a starbase when you want new uniforms. Engineering or a science lab used for professional work are good ideas too, imo.

As far as VO, I think that is a big question mark in the industry right now. It can be expensive so you need to be very selective about how it is used. And things are at a pivotal point with VO with what SWTOR is doing so it probably makes sense to see what happens there before making many VO decisions. If VO is done poorly in SWTOR it could slow down the game considerably and be a disaster for VO. But if VO works in SWTOR it will probably represent a new direction in the industry.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
We had that in early closed Beta, you actually had different voice options for your boffs, like how you choose stances. Something didn't work right and that feature got pulled, but since it was there it has a good chance to return. I hope.
According to Cryptic it was because the quality of the VO work was shody and most of them were all the same voices. The Nimoy VO was good though...

Really, if they want to bring in VO for BOs they will need to get a small group of actors in one go otherwise its going to be a bridge full of folks with the same voice.

As for fan requests for the 'big names'

The A list members are unlikely to appear and if they do will possibly cost quite a bit. That said, Tim Russ (Tuvok) has apparantly shown an intrest in being a VA for STO. He would be damn fine for a voice over of the new undine sector AND Klingon BO since he has played a Klingon before.

My personal favourite still remains Weyoun (Jeffry Combs) That dude played several characters in ST and you could get a lot of milage out of him doing some VA work. Especially as a face to the Dominion Vorta / Introduction to the Gamma Quadrant / Breen Sector.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Plus, if you turn your music off, enter a system with an Aid the Planet mission, get close to the planet and talk with the civil authorities... and listen rea-a-al closely....
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSurpeme
Of course the brownshirts will come out of the woodwork like the bad consumers they are and try and defend the interiors. So where are all the "canon" people at now? I never realized that Marry Poppins was part of Star Trek with small ships and huge interiors.

So all of you SWTOR fan boys can stop making threads about VO's now, it has been done before and amidst a much better economy and it failed.
I love how you immediately dismiss anyone who attempts to argue your points by calling them "brownshirts" and "fan boys"; how predictably small-minded.

I have no issues whatsoever with the ship interiors, so I'm not even going to bother commenting on that point.

As for VO, honestly, I would like to hear more voiceover work in-game, and save for the fine performances of Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto, I'd like to hear improvements on the existing VO. That Guardian of Forever VO makes me cringe whenever I hear it. Did anyone at Cryptic even watch "City on the Edge of Forever" and listen to the Guardian's voice? And, what is with the name "Miral" being pronounced "My-ral"? Seriously? That's like pronouncing the word "Klingon" as "Kly - non". Ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
Well if many of you remember perpetual before they went **** up they were working on vast ship interiors for this game. When Cryptic picked it up they said they were not going to mess with ship interiors. So the community pushed for it and now Cryptic apparently delivered interiors using graphics from their space stations in game. Even the warp core room is identical to the one in the tutorial. Of course the brownshirts will come out of the woodwork like the bad consumers they are and try and defend the interiors. So where are all the "canon" people at now? I never realized that Marry Poppins was part of Star Trek with small ships and huge interiors.

I like to look at the Interiors as they are now as simply the first step. We have them in the game, now to start getting them to have purpose.
Who are the 'brownshirts' and why do you define them as bad consumers ?

I dont know what mary poppins has to do with this discussion but I wish you would clarify that,- but I can verify along with this poster that I would be exceedingly glad to see huge interiors , 'with purpose' as well, because I for one am very very tired of games that target < yes, ha, pun very intended > mass combat /death as the soul purpose of gaming. I love to 'adventure', and discuss and solve puzzles and hm sometimes even come to peaceful solutions ( yes I know about new stuff ) , because contrary to popularly held belief we dont all necessarily, at least all the time, enjoy run and gun

I realize that most MMO's have little of that <and even many games>, but as we all know, Startrek canon is all about that in many ways, regardless what we have since TOS, Gene's vision remains.

P.S.- Ah man, I totally loved "city on the edge of forever' as well. That vo would rock my world <fanboy label accepted>, though if it means paying an extra .50/mo for a year for the priviledge, I can't be bothered and I'll just let my imagination do the rest, but I can relate to another poster here that prob. misses that deep baratone in original episode; it really was stunning.

cheers
wamarine
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan

My personal favourite still remains Weyoun (Jeffry Combs) That dude played several characters in ST and you could get a lot of milage out of him doing some VA work. Especially as a face to the Dominion Vorta / Introduction to the Gamma Quadrant / Breen Sector.
Oh man, I love that guy. He played an even better Shran. He also played Brunt, the Ferengi.

He's pretty versatile and he strikes me as the kind of guy that has fun with his ST roles
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think no Voice Over from Leonard Nimoy might have to do with the fact that he declared his acting career officially over. He is probably not interested in doing VOs, either. A little sad, admittedly. maybe they can Quinto to do one? (THough I've heard some critique against his voicework, so maybe someone else would be better.)
Didn't Quinto also say he was done with everything Star Trek until time to do the sequel to the Abrams movie?
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
Didn't Quinto also say he was done with everything Star Trek until time to do the sequel to the Abrams movie?
yes he did, but he doesn't have a steady paycheck any more, so he might eat those words.