Lt. Commander
# 21
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
I have no other BOs with me because this is a solo mission.
What mission is this??!? I don't think I've ever beamed down without at least 1 Boff in tow.

What class are you? The right kit may make a huge difference.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
i think they are crazy imba too, people stop having to think of this as only a top lvl problem, u know there some of us that enjoy the leveling procces more then being top lvl.

these get crazy bad espec on things like the big dig fleet action, you can end up if people are runnin all over the place with an indestructable group of npcs against you, he only way to counter them is with holds, pure luck of crit shots when there exposed and using aoe weps like double guns with an aoe hit so the medics have to contend with healing the others around them and give u the chance to nuke them before they get up, where it really gets stupid is when there are 2 medics and an engineer with them, when that happens they get sheilds that never go down and even with stuff like plasma nades they always get healed to max an u need a major overpower of more people then npcs to even make a scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Then enlighten us on how to set up a proper away team. I have my iPad ready to take notes.
There is no "proper" way to set it up, it all depend on what you are fighting. Just make sure your away team has their ground skills maxed and they are equipped with current weapons for your level.
There are several different ways of doing this and people have already described them, ill describe some of the stuff I do.

If a small group of enemies, ill tell my team to focus on the medic but i wont fire a single shot. While they are beeting on the medic im free to move without the attention of the said medic. I position myself directly behind him, expose.....snipe and usually they will be dead by this point.
Use knockback attack on the second medic as soon as possible and get his health down quickly so that instead of resurrecting his fallen buddy he is spending time trying to heal.

Usually medics dont have time to heal more then once, and my away team is equipped with 2 sniper rifles (3if you count me) which seems to be the best single target burst dps out there.
Also there have been a few times where medics were not my first target, it all depends.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
The medic had no shields at all. Just full hit points. I expose, then exploit, which takes him down to about 10%-25% HP. He then heals himself completely before I can get another shot off. It's quite frustrating.

I have no other BOs with me because this is a solo mission.

Maybe I need to spend tons of money on something better than an uncommon weapon. But that's seems a long shot.
ON a typical Romulan Medic Exploit, how much HP does it have before you exploit? Would damaging him in the exposed state (which almost always means the exposed target is disabled as well) before you exploit do enough damage to make the exploit vaporize your target?
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
When it goes off. There are times when I can't hit an expose to save my life, which sometimes it might. Usually what happens is my exploit power is in cooldown when they do expose and they shake it off before cooldown is gone. All it means for me is that a fight takes much longer than I would like, but they haven't been impossible.
I carry 2 exploit weapons, a Split Beam and Sniper Riffle. All my BOs carry an Expose Weapon. In addition, I skill my Science BOs with Gravimetric Shift and Tricorder Scan, my Engineering BOs with Weapon Malfunction and Fuse Armor, and my Tactical BOs with Focus Fire, Target Optics, and Fire on My Mark.

Someone is almost always Exposed and at times, every target on the screen is Exposed. Even enemies resistant to Expose attacks don't have much of a chance when I have everyone attack the same target. Exposed or not, they don't last very long with all their damage resistance removed. And an Expose coupled with all their damage resistance removed means they won't survive a one-shot Exploit attack.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm an RA5, so I have developed my own way of attacking these challenges.

But since we have newbs in here from time to time, could you explain in a little more detail the attack pattern you use? Which Weapons? Which skills?

For my part: I take down two Tac, one Eng, and one Sci BOff. They have random Mk X weapons. I carry a split-beam antiproton rifle and a bat'leth. I use whatever default skills come with the BOffs. (I know, I really put a lot of time toward this game) But I always make sure one of them has plasma grenades. They do group damage which keeps the medics occupied healing the rest of their party.

When I come upone a group with a medic, I tell my BOffs to target the Medic. I hold off on my split-beam shot until either the "vaporize" logo lights up or until the shields drop. When I come across two medics, I have my BOffs focus on one while I focus on the other. Using my bat'leth I move the other medic away from the group and beat it to death. I then return to finish off the other medic.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Actually Romulans and Mirror Feds are kind of easier then Remans or some of the minor species I've encounters on random exploration missions.

I'm currently at Rear Admiral (Eng) level and play on the setting of advanced difficulty. Romulans and Mirror Feds are fairly easy to handle because they tend to stick with ranged fire exchanges, of which makes combating them fairly sane. Reman are harder because their officers tend to carpet bomb with plasma grenades. While one of the minor alien species, I forget the name of their species but they're orange, looks like humanoid bugs and uses typical naval ranks in their teams. They're tougher because they tend to charge with dual pistols and love to focus fire on their charges; in larger chaotic battles my away team will usually get a couple of unconscious members in the first few seconds, oh and they like to spam photon grenades as well.

Anways, back on topic, I usually deal with medics and engineers with the sniping tactic presented by the other prior posters. There's a second tactic as well. My prime away team composition uses two engineers (three counting myself), one tactical grenadier, and one combat medic. The engineers are skilled at shield regen 1, turret 1 and turret 2; tactical skills are set at photon grenade 1, surpression fire, and optical; combat medic skills are set at med tri 1, grav 1, and tri scan.

Combat - On encountering an enemy cluster, I look for a clean point of attack that won't draw in two groups, and set up three or more turrets. I lock my team askew to the turret cluster, this is to avoid getting everything wiped out by grenade spam. If you have time drop support turrets behind the team, but if you're up against non-chargers then your guys should be okay. Target the nearest enemy and give the team the green light to fire. This draws enemy tacticals and officers over to the team, medics and engineers usually hang back. If things go right the fighters will be separated from the medics/engineers, if not that's okay too because fire will focus on your team. I then charge and start knocking medics around with my Bat'leth (bleed damage is good here), because enemy fire is focused on the team I won't get cut down with focused flank shots, still use common sense and maneuver yourself so that you don't temp fate. Unlock your team while you're knocking the medic around and call for focus fire on him. The medic will go down very quickly this way. Meanwhile, concentrated fire from three or more turrets will cut down regular romulan guards fairly quickly, so your team won't be wiped out by flanking fire. Also if your combat medic does her job well most of the enemy tacticals will be rooted (remember you have pause button if you need to direct), if they turn around to engage your team, your turrets will get flank shots. Finally while you're in hand to hand combat with the medic, the enemy medic will naturally turn to face you, that means you should be facing your team so the enemy medic's back is to your team.

This tactic worked well for me against medics and engineers, if it doesn't work for you then well... I guess we just have really different play-styles.