Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Meaningfull PvP!
07-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Now im aware people have been crying out for this for a long time and I agree with those that do that STO is in need of some serious PvP. Not silly little mini-games, real, meaningful PvP.

Take a look at any other MMO and the mini-game PvP instances that STO currently use are the least used out of any PvP type. The simple fact being that they are meaningless and as such discarded as boring and pointless.

What's the point in doing something for the sake of it? Sure it may be fun for the first few turns but soon enough the novelty will wear off right?

So perhaps we could start throwing some suggestions out and hopefully Cryptic can considor them and possibly implement!

One idea I had originally was that due to Klingons being a PvP faction why not have players sign up to fight under a number of houses within the Klingon faction. Kind of like mini-factions within the larger. You could then turn the whole of KDF territory into an open PvP area where each house battles for supremacy and control over the different systems.

The whole point of doing this could be to earn different rewards from the houses you fight for. Perhaps they could drop some really cool weaponry or ship parts. Perhaps they can drop some really cool BoFFs... There are many goodies (incentives) Cryptic could throw in here to give people another reason other than fun PvP (and what everyone wants anyway).

Obviously this would spark a bit of whine from the Feds (not bloodwine unfortunately!) but being as KDF were primarily slotted as a PvP faction I think its a pretty reasonable solution for now.

Obviously eventually there has to be a larger picture in which the neutral sector could be come contested between the Feds and Klings for the same reasons as my above suggestion. I think however leaving cross-faction OPvP until at least the third faction is available would be a good idea.

Still if its doable then why not?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
What's the point in doing something for the sake of it?
best walk away from gaming then :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I had posted a simlar idea that players get to choose which House they want to represent. Martok, Duras, J'mpok, or other houses. And they battle each other for higher prestige.

In fact, Klingon House vs House would've made a very nice Tier 1 storyline than it spanning multiple levels.



With FvK, there really needs to be territorial PvP. Where players have to fight over control over a planet. For instance:

Neutral / War Sectors: Each World has various rewards and bonuses to fight over.

Orbital Battles: Open PvP with hiding spots (anti-cloak, anti-sensor, etc), where players can fight it out. And in Orbit, some worlds could have space stations, defense satillites, or outposts where players can occupy and have PvP Ground Battles for control of those spots.

Surface Battles: Each Side has a relative safe zone where players have the option to in another direction and fight in the mountains or to the south in a forest. In the Middle, there is a town, ruins, or fortesses where the key to occupation can occur. (Simlar to DoaC's Realm vs Realm). These areas are where the planetary control is focused, the winner gets the planet.

One side can try to take over the world through brute force, or after a certain duration, control is automatically relinquished.

Ruins? These are old school MMO Dungeons with monsters where you go fight a boss with a chance at some pretty unique loot.

Diplomatic Corp Aiding? While others are shooting, Diplomats can take to the battle of wits in trying to influence a race to ally with their side, thus gainging control through that method.



These are a few of my ideas that could really make PvP worth it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I had posted a simlar idea that players get to choose which House they want to represent. Martok, Duras, J'mpok, or other houses. And they battle each other for higher prestige.

In fact, Klingon House vs House would've made a very nice Tier 1 storyline than it spanning multiple levels.



With FvK, there really needs to be territorial PvP. Where players have to fight over control over a planet. For instance:

Neutral / War Sectors: Each World has various rewards and bonuses to fight over.

Orbital Battles: Open PvP with hiding spots (anti-cloak, anti-sensor, etc), where players can fight it out. And in Orbit, some worlds could have space stations, defense satillites, or outposts where players can occupy and have PvP Ground Battles for control of those spots.

Surface Battles: Each Side has a relative safe zone where players have the option to in another direction and fight in the mountains or to the south in a forest. In the Middle, there is a town, ruins, or fortesses where the key to occupation can occur. (Simlar to DoaC's Realm vs Realm). These areas are where the planetary control is focused, the winner gets the planet.

One side can try to take over the world through brute force, or after a certain duration, control is automatically relinquished.

Ruins? These are old school MMO Dungeons with monsters where you go fight a boss with a chance at some pretty unique loot.

Diplomatic Corp Aiding? While others are shooting, Diplomats can take to the battle of wits in trying to influence a race to ally with their side, thus gainging control through that method.



These are a few of my ideas that could really make PvP worth it.
Back in the old days of SFC .. there were maps that we had: some of it for each team .. and a huge undiscovered area that needed to be explored or even TAKEN (if it belonged to the rival team).

IMHO planets could be set up with bases on the ground as well as orbiral defenses, etc or even larger than life starbases that could be captured as well. These items could also be used to help drive the economy as well.

(just a thought)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
STO's current PvP model is an insult to my intelligence. Im a grown a$$ man, deliver me an experience that challenges my need for mature gaming mechanics:
* Objectives
* Planning
* Teamwork
* Meaningful acquistion
* Factionwide benefit from our victories
* The ability to change the face of Geo-Politics across a Theater
* Not just combat, but logistical objectives and missions
* Not just acquistion of territory, but the ability of the faction to occupy, utilize and benefit from the area's resources(missions, content, staging for future conflicts, etc)
* I want to see acquistion of an area, transform the living and breathing essence of the area...I want to see Faction Outpost(orbital and surface) pop up, complete with light defense. I want to see NPC traffic grow(both Faction and friendly/allied/neutral factions traffic also).
* I want to see diverse, and in a few cases, faction unique victory conditions, objectives and means of furthering your faction's progression toward Campaign victory.

This bubble-gum and cookies PvP aint cutting it no more!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
STO's current PvP model is an insult to my intelligence. Im a grown a$$ man, deliver me an experience that challenges my need for mature gaming mechanics:
* Objectives
* Planning
* Teamwork
* Meaningful acquistion
* Factionwide benefit from our victories
* The ability to change the face of Geo-Politics across a Theater
* Not just combat, but logistical objectives and missions
* Not just acquistion of territory, but the ability of the faction to occupy, utilize and benefit from the area's resources(missions, content, staging for future conflicts, etc)
* I want to see acquistion of an area, transform the living and breathing essence of the area...I want to see Faction Outpost(orbital and surface) pop up, complete with light defense. I want to see NPC traffic grow(both Faction and friendly/allied/neutral factions traffic also).
* I want to see diverse, and in a few cases, faction unique victory conditions, objectives and means of furthering your faction's progression toward Campaign victory.

This bubble-gum and cookies PvP aint cutting it no more!
This is a good post that rings very true to how I feel also. The way the PvE content holds you're hand through the game all the way is equally insulting but thats another matter...

What I find interesting in you're post most is the last point. A greater goal for you're faction.

I know it would take a bit of work but if they could implement a system where there was a point of victory for a faction to reach then it would be pretty sweet. Kind of like how Warhammer does it where you fight you're way through RvR content to get to the main city at the end upon which you fight another last battle to either sack the city or get 'kicked out' of it by the defenders. Once the city is sacked there starts a timer where the raiders can loot all sorts of goodies and partake in the cities raids. After a short while the city gets given back to the original owners and it all starts again.

Now I know this system would be very heavy workload wise but seriously it would give such a huge boost to the PvP. I know PvP isn't everything on MMOs but frankly its 50% of them as far as im concerned and as such it should be treated like it was at least worth the time implementing.

Maybe attacking Sol and Qo'nos would be a step too far but at the very least attacking the two outposts within the neutral sector would be pretty good. In fact thinking of it that would be far more interesting. Once the raiders have taken the station the defenders would be locked out of their station for a short while. This would give the attackers time to raid it and perhaps find some awesome loot. Heck there could be a chance to earn RvR specific trophies and whatnot.

Theres just so much that could be done to improve it but it has to be addressed ASAP. You simply cannot create a game and tell people one faction is PvP only but it does nothing different than the PvE faction other than lack the entire PvE part of the game.

KDF is either PvP only or its not. Make you're mind up and sort it out.

I know DStahl is a fan of Klinks so hopefully he will have the urge to deliver.

This isn't just about Klinks however, PvP mini-games became boring about 5 years ago. Why MMOs still believe non-objective instances are fun I will never know...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
STO's current PvP model is an insult to my intelligence. Im a grown a$$ man, deliver me an experience that challenges my need for mature gaming mechanics:
* Objectives
* Planning
* Teamwork
* Meaningful acquistion
* Factionwide benefit from our victories
* The ability to change the face of Geo-Politics across a Theater
* Not just combat, but logistical objectives and missions
* Not just acquistion of territory, but the ability of the faction to occupy, utilize and benefit from the area's resources(missions, content, staging for future conflicts, etc)
* I want to see acquistion of an area, transform the living and breathing essence of the area...I want to see Faction Outpost(orbital and surface) pop up, complete with light defense. I want to see NPC traffic grow(both Faction and friendly/allied/neutral factions traffic also).
* I want to see diverse, and in a few cases, faction unique victory conditions, objectives and means of furthering your faction's progression toward Campaign victory.

This bubble-gum and cookies PvP aint cutting it no more!
Would be revolutionary if Cryptic could pull that off.

Suggest you make a thread on this and make a layout in how they could pull this off.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Would be revolutionary if Cryptic could pull that off.

Suggest you make a thread on this and make a layout in how they could pull this off.
see reference EvE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
STO's current PvP model is an insult to my intelligence. Im a grown a$$ man, deliver me an experience that challenges my need for mature gaming mechanics:
* Objectives
* Planning
* Teamwork
* Meaningful acquistion
* Factionwide benefit from our victories
* The ability to change the face of Geo-Politics across a Theater
* Not just combat, but logistical objectives and missions
* Not just acquistion of territory, but the ability of the faction to occupy, utilize and benefit from the area's resources(missions, content, staging for future conflicts, etc)
* I want to see acquistion of an area, transform the living and breathing essence of the area...I want to see Faction Outpost(orbital and surface) pop up, complete with light defense. I want to see NPC traffic grow(both Faction and friendly/allied/neutral factions traffic also).
* I want to see diverse, and in a few cases, faction unique victory conditions, objectives and means of furthering your faction's progression toward Campaign victory.
I and my Fleet fully support this proposal.

Yours in meaningful persistent PVP Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBuzzard
see reference EvE.
Why do people like you react in such a way when others try to come up with an idea to improve the game?

Its neither helpful, funny nor is it needed.

Please refrain from becoming a troll...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 AM.