Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Anything to improve the PvP i'd welcome. I just came back to the game after a few months letting it, well, settle and it's still fairly anemic on that front. Though the pvp tourny thread does raise my hopes. There is a slight issue though.

Numbers.

There's a bazillion+ Feds compared to their klingon counterparts making anything resembling open PvP a non-starter. You'd have one or two Klingons being chased around by so many federation ships that "we shall fight in the shade" wouldn't be mere hyperbole.

Also, no to the logistics. I do my time in eve. I ferry stuff already, i'm in no hurry to continue such trials here. It's simply not fun, satisfying though it is to know that half the ships in the murderball around you are there only by the grace of your cargo hold. As a side note, i grow more in love with the Amarr freighter by the day. It's just so pretty.

More traffic could be intresting though. We've already got what i can only consider trade routes in the game. Plausibly we should be able to raid those in some form or fashion? Make it into a distress call that alerts whatever ships are in range and let only so many join. Easy enough to say they were too far away to react in time. It's even correct in fact.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
07-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinks View Post
Anything to improve the PvP i'd welcome. I just came back to the game after a few months letting it, well, settle and it's still fairly anemic on that front. Though the pvp tourny thread does raise my hopes. There is a slight issue though.

Numbers.

There's a bazillion+ Feds compared to their klingon counterparts making anything resembling open PvP a non-starter. You'd have one or two Klingons being chased around by so many federation ships that "we shall fight in the shade" wouldn't be mere hyperbole.

Also, no to the logistics. I do my time in eve. I ferry stuff already, i'm in no hurry to continue such trials here. It's simply not fun, satisfying though it is to know that half the ships in the murderball around you are there only by the grace of your cargo hold. As a side note, i grow more in love with the Amarr freighter by the day. It's just so pretty.

More traffic could be intresting though. We've already got what i can only consider trade routes in the game. Plausibly we should be able to raid those in some form or fashion? Make it into a distress call that alerts whatever ships are in range and let only so many join. Easy enough to say they were too far away to react in time. It's even correct in fact.
Logistics can be handled by NPCs...NPC ships moving through sector space can be moving on-demand instances for interdictions/supply missions. A Feremgi could provide an escort mission for Feds, a Raider mission for KDF.

Logitics could be players also...non-combatant(not to be confused with non-combat) missiosn for those who arent exactly PvP oriented, but want to contribute to the overall progression of thier faction during the war Campaign(hey their faction's success helps them too). So you coul dhave newbie or moonlighting players to the war, grab mission sthat allo wthem to contribute outside of a normal combat patrol or siege. Instead, they navigate hostile areas, delivering goods to faction outposts, or aid to NPC allies those sub-factions they are attempting to gain as allies.

Th0 egoal isnt to make you do logistics. The goal is to provide a multitud eof ways for a player to contribute...and the players does what they want...or what they feel needs to be done...but its their choice. If you didnt want to do logistic,, by all means dont...but someone will...and they'll like it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
07-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Agree with everything, but had to ask:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Im a grown a$$ man
You're a proctologist?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
07-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
What's the point in doing something for the sake of it?
Why did you climb the mountain Sir Edmund

"Because it was there."


Though I am all for an open pvp set-up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
07-29-2010, 09:09 AM
It does not look like they care about Pvp but it is something that could carry this game and make it better. as far as posting ideas, there are a lot of them if you look for them. I have posted some myself. But i agree that we need to keep posting new ideas.

I see not posted plans in the near future for Open PvP territory control and it is the number one thing I want to see in this game. I have heard, looking in to it, but no posted plans. Has anyone else seen plans.

I think most player playing PvP today would play longer for control of zones and it would be much more fun.
PvP is boring, with no point, and the system is flawed in plug games.

I wish more players would ask for open PVP zones.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
I posted this in the 24th of July thread, but I figured it might be more applicable here.

I think having other meaningful strings attached to pvp could be really helpful in making it more fun and eventful, but enough people enjoy pvp that other methods will work as well - either separately or in accord with other meaningful attachments mentioned earlier in this thread. My idea of getting more people involved doesn't require as much developer involvement, although they should be dying to get in on it. I'm pretty sure every team would have a blast in it, and even if they didn't do well it should hopefully motivate them to improve. Regularly competitive pvp isn't an unachievable goal.

I don't know how many of us played intramural sports in our lives, but i think pvp could really work off that. I'm borrowing from the idea of seasonal tourneys. During a school year, they usually had a 1st semester tourney and a 2nd that teams could sign up for. I personally think that we could to multiple tourney's to give more options to players. This would be soooooooooooooo much easier if we were helped by the developers, and it could possibly revolutionize pvp in MMO (listening Cryptic????). We could have a tourney run 4 times a year...seasonal. That would give 3 months for every tourney. We could have 2 months of weekly matches, and 1 month for a playoff. It would be similar to baseball in that the deeper (talented) your fleet, the better your chances of winning cuz not EVERY player could play EVERY week. For example, let's say two players can't make it one week. Well, a deep fleet can just pick two members right out of its pocket; players may not be AS skilled as the originals, but if the two were not as good they wouldn't even be on the fleet.

That's still better than a puggy, and it's better to put up a fight than lose w/o trying. To go further, even if a fleet had to quickly recruit some puggies and train them, that's better than just forfeiting; plus, you might find some diamonds in the rough that way. I liken it to fantasy football, baseball, or basketball. Using football (i'm talking about north american football for all you europeans out there lol), just b/c a running back is on a bye week doesn't mean you just leave his slot empty. If you have no good backups, then you sign the best HB you can find off of the free agent list. It's better than nothing, and sometimes it really pays off.

I think that kind of pvp gameplay would instill a highly lucrative pvp atmosphere. Another plus to multiple seasons is that if a fleet TRULY can't make it a season, they still have 3 (or however many we instill) tourneys left to enroll in for the year. There are soooo many examples of small tournament rules (tie breakers, etc...) that we could use. Intramurals run in colleges and high schools, and they aren't as professional as ncaa or pro level. They run just fine. Even individuals start tournaments on their own and have teams from all over the country (of various ages) play in their tournament. I'm in Florida right now at a national baseball tournament for kids between ages of 15-19. These kids aren't playing for high schools; rather, it was a group of dads, coaches, or whomever that decided to get a team together, enroll in a tournament, and play for a title. If they can do it, then we can do it on here. We have forums and vent to communicate. We also don't have to go through the trouble of designing uniforms, ordering and paying for them, sizing them for each kid, buying bats, balls, shoes, food, water, etc.....we have it easy.

Another good thing about multiple seasons is that the losers don't have to sit and hope they get another shot at the title. They don't have to engage in word-wars to try to get ppl to realize they are good. They get multiple shots to prove their skill and take a shot at the title. Even if we lose, we can sit back and say "we'll get them in the next tourney." Another advantage, EVEN if a team DOES win due to competition needing to bow out, then nobody has a reason to be upset cuz "there's always next time." This isn't referring to 7th or any other fleet involved with the previous issue in this thread. I was enlightened by the issues teams faced due to time constraints, and this is simply a way to DEAL with that issue when it arises....because in all likelyhood people will have to bow out at inconvenient times.

We should really hash out this idea and go for gold. We could all start something great. We have the tools. Not to mention, the devs might finally realize that PvP is the only good endgame we have as of now (IMO), and maybe they'll start supporting us so that we aren't just paying 15 a month for them to let us wait in the que forever and pvp once in a while. Perhaps they will realize how important pvp is to this game and start supporting us with carefully decided standardized rules, online brackets and (you listening Crytic????)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
Agree with everything, but had to ask:

You're a proctologist?
No...actually Im a pilot...so I guess that means I take it up the ! Buy some dadgum plane tickets people!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Why did you climb the mountain Sir Edmund

"Because it was there."
Yeah...but how many times did he have to climb it?

Im all for taking a Planetary System because its there...but there is also something to gain for the expediture of resources and men. That action will have a larger/greater purpose and value outside of me showing that I could **** farther. Even if all we did was strip the system of resources, or use it as a strategic launch pad for more valuable acquistions, or gain more prestege for the House...even a waste disposal location is a worthwhile reason to acquire a system. But Im through with PvP until it evolves beyond this horribly ill-conceived, gladiator arena style, frag-fest. Im so tired of rinse and repeat "battles in a bottle"....we are Imperial Warriors, we are Feudal Warriors...we fight for honor, yes...but we also fight to expand. As of now, we are more prisoners, gladiator slaves...thats not Klingon. Cryptic hear us now, "Give us Free!!!!"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
No...actually Im a pilot...so I guess that means I take it up the ! Buy some dadgum plane tickets people!
Yes! Its still the safest way to travel.

Quote:
Yeah...but how many times did he have to climb it?
The point was he didn't have to climb it, but did it out of a sense of adventure.

Quote:
Im all for taking a Planetary System because its there...but there is also something to gain for the expediture of resources and men. That action will have a larger/greater purpose and value outside of me showing that I could **** farther. Even if all we did was strip the system of resources, or use it as a strategic launch pad for more valuable acquistions, or gain more prestege for the House...even a waste disposal location is a worthwhile reason to acquire a system. But Im through with PvP until it evolves beyond this horribly ill-conceived, gladiator arena style, frag-fest. Im so tired of rinse and repeat "battles in a bottle"....we are Imperial Warriors, we are Feudal Warriors...we fight for honor, yes...but we also fight to expand. As of now, we are more prisoners, gladiator slaves...thats not Klingon. Cryptic hear us now, "Give us Free!!!!"
You may have misunderstood me. I want open-pvp that involves faction control, front lines, starbases, systems being captured, missions behind enemy lines, etc. I do enjoy pvp currently, but its not like I have a choice of how to play a Klingon.

One day to push the Federation back to the human homeworld and **** upon the ashes of thier preciuos Star Fleet. Its a small want of mine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
07-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
You may have misunderstood me. I want open-pvp that involves faction control, front lines, starbases, systems being captured, missions behind enemy lines, etc. I do enjoy pvp currently, but its not like I have a choice of how to play a Klingon.

One day to push the Federation back to the human homeworld and **** upon the ashes of thier preciuos Star Fleet. Its a small want of mine.
No I understood, that last portion wasnt directly at you...just Cryptic's idea that anyone would be content with doing something 10,000 times just for the sake it. Adventure leaves some where around the 1,000th repeat

My favorite vessel(BoP) is a Raider, but I have nothing to raid. Its an ambush and lightening strike unit, but I have nothing and no way to ambush, I only have objectives that encourage sustained engagements. No interdiction, no raiding, no ambushes, no stalking, no recon of OpForce movements in Sector space or in expansive objective systems/maps. Cryptic, what the hell am I here for, what the hell is my ship here for?

We have massive siege vessel in Carriers, with nothing to acquire, we have front-line fleet vessels with nothing to attack, secure and occupy. We have systems with no value, planets and evironments with no worthwhile resource value for the faction. So why are we fighting?...it likly explains why after less than 6months, we arent fighting.

Klingons dont hate Feds for being Feds, we confront Feds because they are supposed to get in the way of our Factions progression...they inetrfere with our purposeful expansion as Houses and an Empire. The so called "hate" just a mechanisim to make it easier to send their vaporized remains into the vacuum of space as we secure an objective...but its not a personal or blind hate. The fighting, the war...its all just a purposeful means to an end...that end is expansion, House and Imperial progression, its insuring a Klingon way of life. The Devs forgot that...or neglected to honor that, when they built PvP.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
No I understood, that last portion wasnt directly at you...just Cryptic's idea that anyone would be content with doing something 10,000 times just for the sake it. Adventure leaves some where around the 1,000th repeat

My favorite vessel(BoP) is a Raider, but I have nothing to raid. Its an ambush and lightening strike unit, but I have nothing and no way to ambush, I only have objectives that encourage sustained engagements. No interdiction, no raiding, no ambushes, no stalking, no recon of OpForce movements in Sector space or in expansive objective systems/maps. Cryptic, what the hell am I here for, what the hell is my ship here for?

We have massive siege vessel in Carriers, with nothing to acquire, we have front-line fleet vessels with nothing to attack, secure and occupy. We have systems with no value, planets and evironments with no worthwhile resource value for the faction. So why are we fighting?...it likly explains why after less than 6months, we arent fighting.

Klingons dont hate Feds for being Feds, we confront Feds because they are supposed to get in the way of our Factions progression...they inetrfere with our purposeful expansion as Houses and an Empire. The so called "hate" just a mechanisim to make it easier to send their vaporized remains into the vacuum of space as we secure an objective...but its not a personal or blind hate. The fighting, the war...its all just a purposeful means to an end...that end is expansion, House and Imperial progression, its insuring a Klingon way of life. The Devs forgot that...or neglected to honor that, when they built PvP.
SPoken like a true Klingon.
Let the Bloodwine Flow! One day we shall drink it from the skulls of our enemies.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 AM.