Lt. Commander
Recently I was in a thread that quickly became a flaming troll war, before it was closed one of the posters gave me this fun little nugget of info from back in July of 2009 on the STO boards.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=23174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Bill and I have both posted over on the Champions boards to respond to questions raised by microtransactions. I'll just reiterate what's already been copied and pasted from Bill's State of the Game address on Champions:
  • The vast majority are aesthetic items, such as costume pieces, action figures, emblems, etc.
  • A very few are account-level management tools, such as being able to rename a character
  • Micro-transactions should never limit your ability to enjoy the game or reach the level cap
  • Any micro-transaction that has a game effect can also be earned in the game through play

These principles apply also to Star Trek.
My main point is, what do ya'll think of the last bullet point? Has anyone been able to get the Connie or the Galaxy-X by playing the game? Try to state your opinion of Cryptic's handling but don't attack each other, keep it clean!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
explain to us why you feel the need to start another thread please ?

.*reported
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
Recently I was in a thread that quickly became a flaming troll war, one of the posters gave me this fun little nugget of info from back in July of 2009 on the STO boards.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=23174

My main point is, what do ya'll think of the last bullet point? Has anyone been able to get the Connie or the Galaxy-X by playing the game? Try to state your opinion of Cryptic's handling but don't attack each other, keep it clean!
Yes, I have been able to play the constitution (TOS) without purchasing it in the C-store (although I do have to pick it up there.)

Dude, seriously, let it go

*Edited for spelling :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
You earned it through gameplay? What mission?
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Any micro-transaction that has a game effect can also be earned in the game through play
well technically even playing a race only available from the c store has game effect ...not much but some... beside bridges and ship's skin and character management stuff...everything else should be able to be obtain playing the game.

unfortunately this policy has changed, now it s about getting something equivalent in game.

someone said earlier... if all the C store stuff were in game for free it would not make it a better game or having more content... true enough but the player base would be a bit more understanding and patient if the STO team has decided to add races, ships, "exclusive" item as a loot in game and saying... We (the STO team) knows that a lot of work needs to be done to get this game at full speed so in the mean time we are going to throw you as many perks as we can while we work on gameplay, missions etc...

My only explanation why not everyone is complaining about this C store issue is the average age of the STO players... more mature and more financially comfortable.... We have the mean to buy a $25 ship and other stuff from the C store. And i do don t get me wrong but i just find this very silly and insulting when the core game needs some real work. I guess a lot of people just don t bother questioning the STO team...it s just easier to let it go and play the game by spending a little extra cash. Looking at history... we ve come a long way by questioning and speaking up... and this is true in every country
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
You earned it through gameplay? What mission?
Blitzy didn't say that it was earned through game play; only that he/she didn't have to buy it through the C-Store.

Also, http://a.imageshack.us/img262/1518/w...hreadgoing.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-26-2010, 10:06 AM
You've also missed the point that say you bought a Star Trek game just to play a race say like caitians. Not much of a stretch is it for a star trek game to have a star trek race. So you go pay the $50 dollars or whatever and sign up install the game go to create a character, and then poof. Looking everywhere you fail to find the only race you've been wanting to play just to find your ability to enjoy the game limited by a micro-transaction. So um yea, if you break one you might as well break them all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
Blitzy didn't say that it was earned through game play; only that he/she didn't have to buy it through the C-Store.

Also, http://a.imageshack.us/img262/1518/w...hreadgoing.jpg
My point was she paid for it, she bought the game and it came with it. My question was rhetorical, it says "Any micro-transaction that has a game effect can also be earned in the game through play", the Connie doesn't fir this. It cannot be earned in game, only bought or with pre-order.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
My point was she paid for it, she bought the game and it came with it. My question was rhetorical, it says "Any micro-transaction that has a game effect can also be earned in the game through play", the Connie doesn't fir this. It cannot be earned in game, only bought or with pre-order.
The connie was only meant to be an alternative to the Miranda-type starter ship. The only real "bonuses" were that it was an original connie and that the phasers could be blue. Otherwise...you could obtain a similar item in game from the get-go (Miranda).

I think a better argument would have been with the Galaxy-X or any of the races they've been releasing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
The blue phasers also scaled to your level last I heard.