Lt. Commander
Ok, I wanted to make some comments on what I think of the new content sofar. I am a fairly low level character, so I will try and give this feedback from the perspective of someone new.

1) Dabo - 9.5 out of 10

Absolutely brilliant. Very fun, payout is often enough, being able to use energy credits is nice, fun to play, AND IT IS VERY SOCIAL. The largest crowd i have seen in the game yet. People fooling around, chatting....I learned more about the game in 20 minutes of playing Dabo then I did in 3 weeks of gameplay. This is exactly what this game needed...I felt like it was a multiplayer game.

It lost half a point because you limited the bet to 100 EC, would have been better to be a 1000. Otherwise it is great.

Also, this is a great way to get fluff, loved the holographic generators, could open up to decorate items for your quarters, special uniform items, etc. More on that later.

2) Diplomatic mission on Vulcan - 9 out of 10

Again, fantastic. This is what I was waiting for. This is what ST is all about. Investigation. Mystery. Drama. Choice. Great writing, interesting, very fun, read ALL of the dialog, loved it. A mission I could do where I didnt have to kill someone or scan flowers.

If I had any complaint it would be that this particular mission was a bit short...would have liked a bit more, and my choices were still a bit limited in the beginning, but expanded later on as I was investigating. Not much to complain about here. Great job.

Side note.....(Insert name here) Here, go ahead.....nice touch. Made me all geekish with trek joy, this is what should happen more often.

3) Ship interiors - 7 out of 10

Ok, Ill begin with the good. My ship has insides. I can prove it. That is a plus. The decor is good, it is nice to be able to visit the different parts of my ship, hallway size is fine (though if engineering deck halls are small, why not the rest of the hallways?). Great job there. Love the windows. Definitely demonstrated your talents here, see you used some of the designs from the tutorial....see, I told you it would work.

Ok, now the bad. NO FUNCTION. I think you have been told already this is a bad thing. I would think the reaction from your players, the possible hundreds of threads on the issue and bad press would have been enough.

Ship interiors are not complete. Had you released this setup at launch it would be different. However, this is after the fact, and it is not done.

Here is what I think interiors need to be completed, and what should and can come later and still make them accepted by the masses.

NOTE: I AM NOT SUGGESTING THESE ITEMS MUST BE REMOVED FROM BASES AND ADDED TO THE SHIP....only that they should be added to the ship as alternate locations for these items. The original locations would still remain, you just have more options as to where you can do them.

These items need to be added as soon as possible IMO. Then you have functionality covered.

a. Bridge - Officer training (console)
b. SIckbay - Officer healing and appearance change (Both from resident Chief Medical Officer on duty)
c. Engineering - Ship repair (From resident Chief Engineer on duty)
d. Captains quarters - Uniform change (Use one of the storage models in the quarters as the hotspot)
e. Transporter room - Requisition new officers (From resident Transporter Chief on duty)
f. Ready Room - Mail access (From either desk console or wall console, allow mailing of items)

And two places that are missing and should in the interior set (but can be added later, it is not necessary to add them prior to release of this patch)

a. Cargo bay - Bank access (can just be one of the doors in engineering level)
b. Armory - Purchase kits/weapons/components (same as above)

At least the top 6 listed above in bold are a must IMO in the short term. The bottom two should come shortly thereafter.

Now, for the future.....what would be acceptable I think for the future and would not give the perception that the interiors are unfinished. Also a few extra tidbits added at the end.

> Small and medium versions of interior should have small and medium halls and rooms. Klingon rooms (with the exception of engineering) are a good scale on what size the small set should be like. Current setup is fine for largest ships.
> Ability to decorate quarters and ready room SWG style. You should, however, ANNOUNCE THIS INTENT.
> Holodeck to redo any quests already completed, generic generated quests where you choose parameters, or PVP against friends present in ships or on ground. There need be no benefits other than fun and practice. (can be one of the doors on engineering level, needs special design to door however to look like holodeck entrance)
> Ability to sit down in chairs and lay down in the bed with just a click.
> Shuttlebay, even if it is just for looks. There is one in the tutorial that would work. Should be on engineering level.
> Multiplayer capability for interiors, minigames friends can play in certain rooms to help you in combat. Shields go down, friend in engineering reroutes power to bring shields back up. Crew is dying, another friends heals them in sickbay. Etc Etc.
> Missions inside your own vessel.
> Ability to navigate from your bridge using system map (Astrometrics, see below). Combat encounters or entering a system will bump you into tactical view.
> Bridge library access to all discovered ships, areas, creatures and combatants, etc, as well as mission stats, ships destroyed, amount of deaths and so on.
> Allow me to choose uniform for ship personnel.
> Have crew make comments when I click on them...things like "Yes, captain?", "Good day sir.", "Proud to be part of the crew sir.", "Good to see you captain.", "What can I do for you sir?", etc.
> Add crew standing in "thoughtful" pose while looking at LCARS, patients in sickbay with medical personel treating them.
> Active lifts from bottom floor to top floor in engineering
> MSD on the wall behind engineering table

> Change galaxy (sector) map name to Astrometrics
> Change area map name to Con/Ops
> Change "bank" name to "cargo bay", and "fleet bank" to "fleet supply"

I am not as happy with ship interiors as I could have been. That does not mean I am completely disappointed, but you really should have given interiors some meager functions.

Ok, now on to perceived bugs.

- Bartender is missing in observation lounge.
- Crew constantly open the door to my quarters.
- Bridge ambient console sounds should be reduced in volume in my ready room. It should be quiet.
- There should be a Transporter Chief, Chief Medical Officer and Chief Engineer on duty.
- Footstep effect volume needs to be toned down a bit. If you turn down effects volume enough to make it bearable, the rest of the games effects are too muted.
- There is no thrumbing sound from the warp core in engineering, and too much tricorder use.
- Crew jumps over banisters on top level in engineering to the floor below.
- Using turbolift to go to bridge places you right on bridge instead of in turbolift like other floors.

Next is future suggestions.

Add an observation lounge in the rear of mid and large bridges. Make this spot a common area for internal missions.

Reduce the size of the ready room drastically for small bridges.

Add the ability to go to shuttlebay and take a shuttle out to fly around your ship. It would be mostly for show and fun, and to demonstrate how huge your ship is...I would suggest a more detailed texture set for this particular feature, and leave it open to internal missions in the future.

Stellar Cartography which shows entire STO sector map as a rotatable star chart you can inspect and get popups of information on each planet, and displays icons for areas you have missions waiting to be completed.

Add streaking stars warp effect (transparent of course) and slight motion blur to entire ship when at warp in Sector space map.

More to follow.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I suppose Cryptic are thinking of buying a supercomputer for the shard.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Hallways ARE way too big.
07-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I have to disagree with you on one point. You say that the corridors are not too big... you are wrong. They are DEFINITELY too big. Also, there are WAY too many people wandering the corridors. As I have said before on other threads, why should I be able to see two dozen NPCs wandering around in my one little section of ONE deck of an Intrepid-class ship with 15 decks and 200 people? The math doesn't work.

To do a little math here: Let's say I am on an Intrepid-class ship (again, 15 decks, 200 crewmembers) and I see 20 people wandering around. Let's guesstimate that from my viewpoint, I can see around 1/4 of the circular hallway in that deck. That'd be around 80 people wandering that one hallway. Now, let's figure that for every crewmember in a corridor at any one point, there are another two crewmembers NOT wandering the corridors (e.g. they're in bed, in the holodecks, at their stations, in the mess hall, etc.). That'd be around 240 people on that one deck alone.

Now, let's figure that some of the decks (e.g. deck 1) are a lot smaller than others, so rather than multiplying 240 times 15, let's just multiply it times 10, being a little conservative. THAT STILL ADDS UP TO STILL A CREW COMPLEMENT OF OVER 2,000 PEOPLE.

I know that Cryptic is trying to convey a sense that the ship is populated, bustling and alive... but there are still too many people wandering the corridors by an order of magnitude.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-29-2010, 07:10 PM
also we knew that the ship interiors were going to have no function at season 2. Soon we will be able to repair ship (engineering) and heal characters (sickbay) by playing minigames. What we have now is just the base on what they will make, and we were told this.

But, great review, I agree on all points (yes I agree 7/10 for interiors cause of no functions :p)
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieleah View Post
I have to disagree with you on one point. You say that the corridors are not too big... you are wrong. They are DEFINITELY too big. Also, there are WAY too many people wandering the corridors. As I have said before on other threads, why should I be able to see two dozen NPCs wandering around in my one little section of ONE deck of an Intrepid-class ship with 15 decks and 200 people? The math doesn't work.

To do a little math here: Let's say I am on an Intrepid-class ship (again, 15 decks, 200 crewmembers) and I see 20 people wandering around. Let's guesstimate that from my viewpoint, I can see around 1/4 of the circular hallway in that deck. That'd be around 80 people wandering that one hallway. Now, let's figure that for every crewmember in a corridor at any one point, there are another two crewmembers NOT wandering the corridors (e.g. they're in bed, in the holodecks, at their stations, in the mess hall, etc.). That'd be around 240 people on that one deck alone.

Now, let's figure that some of the decks (e.g. deck 1) are a lot smaller than others, so rather than multiplying 240 times 15, let's just multiply it times 10, being a little conservative. THAT STILL ADDS UP TO STILL A CREW COMPLEMENT OF OVER 2,000 PEOPLE.

I know that Cryptic is trying to convey a sense that the ship is populated, bustling and alive... but there are still too many people wandering the corridors by an order of magnitude.
This is not meant to discount your opinion, but I think you might have misunderstood my post.

I indicated that the size of the rooms and hallways seemed fine for the LARGEST ships....were talking the huge ones. I would suggest the mediums for the Galaxy and up, the smallest for all the others. But it would be a choice of course.

And yes, it does seem like the amount of people is a bit high. They could actually fix this by cutting the amount of people in half, and forcing about 20 to 30 percent of them to stay in certain rooms doing scripted tasks.

Like have some people chatting in the lounge, like on the Starbase, doing some mechanical work in engineering....perhaps someone working in a jeffries tube, etc.