Lt. Commander
Is there a way to auto-matically target self in game without de-selecting your current target? If not, can we get that added to the game for serious!?!

I know you can hit F1 and select yourself, but then I have to re-target whatever it was I was targeting.

Cryptic worked on City of Heroes as their first major MMO, and you didn't really need a self-target command in that game as abilities were either target based, self cast or AoE. If you had a heal, it either worked on other players, or yourself only, or as an AoE. It was a lame design, and I'm glad to see they did away with the concept in Champions and Star Trek.

However, with the abilities that work on both teammates and/or yourself now, it would be very nice if I could simply hold down a modifier key and click or hit the appropriate command and have the target of the ability be myself.

For those unfamiliar with this (it exists in WoW), it allows you to fire off a heal on yourself without losing your current target. If your healing you can easily slap a self heal while maintaining the tank as your target, and then follow up with a Tank heal without having to re-target the tank.

In Star Trek currently, if I want to attack a ship that's attacking something else, and use a buff (that you can cast on friend or self) like Tactical Team before doing so, I'd have to select myself, hit Tactical Team, then TRY to select my enemy target and start attacking while the buff is still active.

If I select the enemy first (who is targeting one of my teammates) what then happens is I open fire, hit Tactical Team to buff damage and any follow up buffs.... but WAIT! I hit Cannon: Rapid Fire and am checking the action only to see... I'm attacking nothing at all and I have a friendly ship targeted, and they have the Tactical Team buff. WTF!

Other examples are when I'm being attacked, and I need to cast Science Team for shields, or a the Science debuff removal, but the target I currently have is targeting someone else... that Science Team and Hazard Emitter now just went to some other player. Frustrating! Especially in PvP or group PvE where it can get crowded and you want to reliably self buff while keeping your current target so you can maintain fire on them without having to clumsily fight the UI to get your original target back.

Please implement a means to easily self buff without losing your current target (the modifier key works quite well for me on this, and seems standard MMO practice). It allows me to cast a target based buff on myself with a simple additional keypress, and maintain my target, and just allows for smoother gameplay, and less fighting with the UI.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-30-2010, 07:17 PM
It would be nice if you could set the modifier to a specific key, some people might have an easier time with Ctrl or maybe Shift (if they aren't using it to sprint).
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-31-2010, 10:52 PM
No one else finds this useful?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-31-2010, 11:21 PM
I can see this being useful, theres nothing worse than that teammate with his 99% hull taking your heal when your at 50%... and currently if youre not whats being attacked at the moment it makes it quite a pain.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-01-2010, 07:15 AM
I totally agree. Often I need a science team etc. and see that it is wasted on somebody who doesn't need it....
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver420 View Post
I can see this being useful, theres nothing worse than that teammate with his 99% hull taking your heal when your at 50%... and currently if youre not whats being attacked at the moment it makes it quite a pain.
You can disable that in options...
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
You can disable that in options...
There's a problem with that actually. Disabling it currently doesn't work (if you talking about the Assist option) as I've tried it recently. Also, if you disable it, when it was working for me (back in Beta I think) it wouldn't cast the heal on myself unless I explicitly targeted myself, so I'd still have to un-target my target to target myself and then use the power (and spam and wait to see that it actually went off, because this is a Cryptic game and button press/click doesn't always mean action) and then re-target whatever I was targeting before. If it's in a cluster of ships, that could be a real pain.

With the modifier, I would simply hold down the Alt and click spam my heal (or the appropriate keybind), all the while, my auto-attacks are still going off on my target and I don't lose 3+ seconds DPS on a target and have to fight UI to to get it back under fire. It just make a quick self heal that, quick!

Also, I could have my target under fire, and fire off a Tactical Team for a quick DPS burst, while not wasting the mere 5 second buff trying to re-target. For me, it's expected functionality.

As canon goes, Worf didn't have to stop firing phasers while Geordi boosted shields. The ability would make it easier to act as a ship of independent crew rather than one person managing the whole ship.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Really would like to see this implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Yup
08-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I agree completely.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks.