/signed 10char
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Signed

Lt. Commander
# 6
07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Were you referring to the fact that it used to pop more reliably (in which case I agree with you) or the fact that people used to instantly explode from RNG crits (in which case I don't agree with you)?
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
Were you referring to the fact that it used to pop more reliably (in which case I agree with you) or the fact that people used to instantly explode from RNG crits (in which case I don't agree with you)?
both, but not exactly the same as the latter.

pvp mechanics:
  1. Qeues don't pop reliably - with endless griefing potential.
  2. Qeues sometimes break teams (happened twice today) or drop a member from the qeue.
  3. The side that wins the initial engagement gets to spawncamp the opponents.

PvP balance:
  • Supercrits aside, pressuring someone out through a healer is retardedly difficult.
  • Supercrits aside, bursting someone out when the heals are on cooldown is a paltry task.
  • Supercrits aside, teams with decent healers are incredibly hard to kill (especially when that team's dps kills the other team's dps).
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
both, but not exactly the same as the latter.

pvp mechanics:
  1. Qeues don't pop reliably - with endless griefing potential.
    Agreed
  2. Qeues sometimes break teams (happened twice today) or drop a member from the qeue.
    Happened 3 times the day of the patch. Haven't got a 5v5 since that day
  3. The side that wins the initial engagement gets to spawncamp the opponents.
    Really needs to be fixed

PvP balance:
  • Supercrits aside, pressuring someone out through a healer is retardedly difficult.
    I'm finding that if you can get the right team make up then this isn't that much of an issue. Demands team work I like that.
  • Supercrits aside, bursting someone out when the heals are on cooldown is a paltry task.
  • Supercrits aside, teams with decent healers are incredibly hard to kill (especially when that team's dps kills the other team's dps).
Aside from the Q issues I don't think balance is that bad. That may change of course if I could get into some matchs. Fix the q then I'll edit.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellfxxx
Give it back to us. /rant end
It was called Season 1.0 my friend and it exited stage left a long time ago. I know I've brought it up in dozens of posts across dozens of topics but it is the single most telling quote I've ever heard from a DEV before or since.

When I asked Snix why he wasn't soliciting high-end PvP input or feedback while redesigning all the powers prior to Season 1.2 and why they felt the need to "dumb down" the PvP game to the lowest common denominator so that weak players could be artificially propped up against the elite players his response was:

"To be honest, the average player in STO isn't comfortable with nor can they compete at the pace of combat you are accustomed to." - Snix

If that doesn't say it all right there, I don't know what does. The fast-pace of combat we saw in Beta and the first month of release will never make a comeback. The average and sub-par player has QQ'ed the DEV team into countless nerfs, gameplay mechanic alterations, and so-called "balance changes" to appease them. It's like opening Pandora's Box...there's no way to stuff all this crap that's been let out back into it again.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
i miss them too, the other day in a cap and hold, i was in a sci refit and held out agaibnst 2 tact refits until a 3rd surprised me and killed me in one pass. i mean come on, a science ship holding out against 2 tacticals?