Lt. Commander
# 1 We need our Diplomacy points
07-31-2010, 11:19 AM
A while back players were complaining about the run and scan missions as too often and boring. Cryptics answer was to add in enemy squads to fight. Now this solved the problem back then but now with the diplomacy ranks to work through, we cant get the dxp we would normaly get from a run and scan mission because they are now considered combat missions. So right now, especially in b'tran, the only mission i can get dxp on is aid the planet. I implore the devs to go back and set these missions back to noncombat.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-31-2010, 01:30 PM
At least they should add in some dxp for the completion of the explore 3 systems quests.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Doesn't seem related to me. The Explore 3 system mission could have nothing related to diplomacy in them, which would make it an inaccurate representation.

I do agree that more sources for diplomacy XP would be needed. Or, at least, a reconsideration of those sources... because I don't see the ties between scanning carnivorous plants and being diplomatic. I do see diplomatic having something to do with rescuing a friendly race from raiders, a research outpost from enemy boarders and such - but because they're qualified as combat mission they're flagged as 'un-diplomatic'.

Some consistency would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I agree, run and scan missions fall under a science mission not diplomacy but i have run a couple in aphira nebula and got dxp from them. But at some point i stopped getting clean scan runs and got combat groups mixed in so i stopped getting dxp from them. I also agree that even though they are combat, defending a non-fed base should qualify as points toward a friendly status with the race.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
The way I look at it:

Add at least 1-2 new exploration missions that will give XP

Make it so the missions where you help colonies who are being attacked by enemies grant XP.

Doing random exploration missions that give diplomatic xp should give you 10 XP

Missions directly from Jiro telling you to go somewhere should give you 20 XP

Failing a first contact should give you 20 XP

Successfully achieving a First Contact mission should give you 40 XP

I think this would speed things up a little, plus it seems to make more sense that doing something for Jiro would be more profitable XP-wise than just stumbling onto an Aid the Planet mission.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
THIS BITES!!!
I unlocked consul level in the diplomacy corp and was told to go to the kazon nebula. I go their and open the mission and its a run and scan. Problem, the mission generator threw in some enemy squads that nixed my ability to get diplomacy points.
HOW DO YOU GET A DIPLOMACY MISSION FROM THE AMBASSADOR AND NOT GET DXP FOR IT???
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah. I am so tired of the same shoot-this-many-waves stuff, I was excited to hear about Diplomacy, and First Contact missions.

But the structure is set up such that the Diplomacy and First Contact stuff is just as tedious as the other content right now.

Oh well. It's the first few days of the new stuff. I am sure they will tweak it soon.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
i think they should add an option that when you enter a nebula or cluster a message appears and one of you bridge officers asks you something like "should i scan for hostiles sir" and you then pick if you want combat oriented missions or aid the planet, scan anomalies, and examine "AMAZING ROCK LIKE FLORA"
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-03-2010, 06:18 AM
I don't envy the job of the Devs. It is impossible to please everyone.

"We level up to fast! I'm already an Admiral, there is nothing else to do! Leveling should be slower..."
"We level up to slow! The missions should reward more XP. It will take to long to become an ambassador!

Well. It should take long to become an Ambassador. And it should take longer to become an Admiral.

People are funny. First they are frustrated because it takes to long to max ou the game, then they get frustrated because they max out the game and there is nothing else to do.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
What irritates me the most about this is not the fact that if there is combat I don't get DXP. I'm ok with that. I'm not ok with warping into the system and my Science Officer tells me there's some strange readings on the planet we should check out. No mention of hostiles. We beam down, and the Science Officer tells me one of the strange reading objects is over there and we should scan it. Again, no mention of hostiles. Sounds like a scan mission that will result in DXP. Scan the node, and the Science Officer tells me we should scan 3 or 4 more nodes. THEN the Tactical Officer tells me a ship of some sort warped in and we may have company. So NOW it's a combat mission and I won't get DXP. Except that to clear the mission I have to scan nodes not defeat enemies. So no DXP for scanning nodes, just because some combat actually happened. Same thing with downloading information from computers. It's not a combat mission. Just because the Borg show up doesn't mean that's why the outpost is deserted (it's usually not anyways, it's usually some experiment gone wrong or atmospheric leaks, etc.) But since the Borg showed up, no DXP for me for finding out what happened to the outpost. If it was the same mission but the Borg (or whatever bad aliens) don't show, I get DXP.

This is bad design. If the mission is scan X nodes or access Y computers, it should give DXP regardless if Aliens show up to disrupt your efforts. It's highly irritating to put forth the effort (and on Elite, it definitely is an effort on the ground right now) and not get rewarded with the 10 DXP. It's gotten to where I will instantly leave the system and drop the mission if enemies beam in, as the mission then becomes a waste of my (to me) precious gaming time.