Lt. Commander
actually in some missions it would be good to overcome large distances using an ATV ground vehicle as used in Star Trek Nemesis:

[Picard, Data and Worf are attacked and pursued by Kolaran natives]
Picard: I think it's time to try some unsafe velocities.

I could also imagine a planet landing shuttle, which you could launch from the orbiting starship's shuttle bay. Feeling the planetary gravity flight behaviour against the zero-G spaceflight is a thing I would like to experience.

what do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-01-2010, 02:45 AM
I really like the idea of implementing vehicles either to reach a planet's surface from the orbit or to use ground vehicles or both. In my opinion, ground vehicles would require to enlarge the zones, ground missions take place in. It would be rather useless to drive those distances with a car when you need 30 seconds to walk the entire way. At this point, I would really like Cryptic to add more ground zones without any relation to the storyline - just a few planets where players can walk around and get some secondary quests (naturally I would also like to see some wildlife creatures there aswell as lots of people walking around their towns or something).

Regarding that shuttle flight from ship to ground: Why not? It sounds like fun to me and could easily been added as a mini-game in my opinion. Would be great to see the shuttle lift off the ship add then do some orbital flight with it before entering the atmosphere and having to adjust several values in order to keep the shuttle safe.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I like this a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-03-2010, 03:33 AM
I like all this... seconded and thirded
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
This could be added to a groud fleet action, a federation vs klingon tank battle or something.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Ground PVP = with crazy cryptic star trek tanks (ground) requires oww lets say 2 people to operate... but can carry 5 (even if they do nothng) that'll scale up the war a bit
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Does Cryptics engine allow for ground vehicle tech? Even if so....it would need some level of physics to even be fun.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes, it makes so much sense to have vehicles, when you can just beam everywhere. A shuttle makes sense under limited circumstances but otherwise... vehicles are sorta silly.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindvampire View Post
actually in some missions it would be good to overcome large distances using an ATV ground vehicle as used in Star Trek Nemesis:

[Picard, Data and Worf are attacked and pursued by Kolaran natives]
Picard: I think it's time to try some unsafe velocities.

I could also imagine a planet landing shuttle, which you could launch from the orbiting starship's shuttle bay. Feeling the planetary gravity flight behaviour against the zero-G spaceflight is a thing I would like to experience.

what do you think?
i was talking with a few people in my fleet about thta type of thing just the other day. Having some missions where you have to use a shuttle or some such.

They already have the atmosphere colision thing with the bloom to the point of it blinds you. but if they could find away to make it a boarder like in sector space when you get to the edge is says warp to X sector block. with this if they could just have it go would you like to fly a shuttle down to planet X? ect.

i think it would be a great addition to the game and really give ground stuff a new feel.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
Yes, it makes so much sense to have vehicles, when you can just beam everywhere. A shuttle makes sense under limited circumstances but otherwise... vehicles are sorta silly.
The existing maps are also far too small for vehicles to make any sense besides, I keep getting mental images of that damned dune buggy that I would very much like to get rid of.

I would far rather have shuttle craft or fighter combat than vehicular ground combat.

I would be nice to have the option of taking a shuttle down on certain away missions where transporters are either blocked or disrupted by atmospheric effects.