Lt. Commander
# 11
08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I did that the first time around too, before I finally noticed that ground is now at the top where the space queues used to be. Maybe that's not your issue, but you may want to double check just in case. Old habits die hard and I used to queue up on autopilot, lol.
It's impossible to be my issue as I always use the filter and set to space only, always have since it was put in
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Btw, we have had a shanty town game earlier with 4 or 5 fed players vs like 10 klingons in it (and that wasn't the usual scoreboard issue where people quittet, one side really outnumbered the other one heavily, i don't think i've ever seen a 10 on 5 before on ground lol)

So theres maybe something wrong with the new shanty queue settings, several of the present players submitted a bug report as far as i know, can't give you a number tho.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-01-2010, 06:10 PM
thank you STO
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vennie22
Playing with imbalanced teams certainly was a lot more fun than getting < 4 matches per day and spending hours on top of hours just sitting in the queue and clicking through the invitation windows and the "NoPossibleMaps" prompts.

I think most of our fleet in fact just logged off to play Starcraft 2 after getting fed up with fighting with the extremely cryptic queue system for the last three hours.
This. I can't imagine a single person out there who is happier playing peek-a-boo with the queue than they were playing with uneven teams. Now there is one less Klink for queue fodder. I'ma go do Dynamis.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
This. I can't imagine a single person out there who is happier playing peek-a-boo with the queue than they were playing with uneven teams. Now there is one less Klink for queue fodder. I'ma go do Dynamis.
I'm terribly sorry about the frustration this is causing. This issue will not be ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenneally View Post
Turning this off potentially imbalances the games even more - returning the games to possibly highly imbalanced like you would see pre-Season 2. Tightening this up more means that even more games would be canceled. If we balanced queues and didn't require players to accept their offers (auto-accept), then we'd run into the problem of AFKs in games.
There was a solution proposed to this problem in the PvP Interface thread which, while requiring new tech, would really solve both these problems.

Copy/pasting an excerpt:
Quote:
[Put] the players who DID engage "on deck" and simply try to fill the last remaining slots. They'd see a "Game will begin soon" indicator, maybe additionally with "Looking for __ more players..." as the queue tries to fill the last spots by handing out queue pops one by one. When the game finally fills, the message would change to "Game starting in 10... 9... 8..." and so on and count down before pulling everyone in.

This system would require some new queue tech, but would have the following advantages:
  • Players who are confirmed for queue are now "locked in" to the match
  • Players who are confirmed once do not get spammed with requests to re-confirm
  • Better feedback to players so they know that the system is still looking for players (and not AWOL/broken)
  • Players can continue playing while waiting for the final spots to fill, but know they are about to be pulled into a match
  • All games start at full player complement
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenneally View Post
I'm terribly sorry about the frustration this is causing. This issue will not be ignored.
I don't really play STO anymore but I haven't seen this suggested---audio notification for the queue. Frankly I was reading a book and watching old episodes of Voyager while waiting for the queue to start, but I would always miss the engage button because I wasn't watching the screen intently. So an audio notification would be nice so people can watch TV or something while waiting for the queue. (Although it's ridiculous that we have to wait so long in the first place, and the main reason why I quit.)
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
There was a solution proposed to this problem in the PvP Interface thread which, while requiring new tech, would really solve both these problems.

Copy/pasting an excerpt:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will schedule a meeting tomorrow to discuss this as well as other possibilities to obliterate the need to accept an offer more than once - or perhaps we can remove the accept option altogether and simply present the 'Delay' button to those that have changed their mind.

The audio notification suggestion is great as well. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
thank you STO
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I didn't get to play much with the improved queues, but one thing I noticed is that the queue listing was not showing any of the small salvage maps or even the assault maps. I'm sure those can be created, but frankly I hate the 10v10 queues, and much prefer 7v7. The large queues shouldn't be the only default option, yet they seemed to be listed twice in the queues.

A cursory examination of the queues seemed to indicate that the space and ground arena maps would be chosen from a list, so I can't imagine why the assault/salvage maps were not also done similarly.