Lt. Commander
# 21
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm not a hardcore PvPer (I dabble from time to time); but on actually testing the PvP queues publically in the future - perhaps Cryptic coould put oout a call to PvPers and hold Tribble events on a regular basis; and try to coordinate with Fleets ets; the best time and day for these tests that allow for a robust test of any queue changes?

I'm really not ytrying to get on Cryptics case at all per se; but the fact is, while TRibble IS a good thing and helps find the major software bugs in the general game; I don't think the PvP queues honestly get a real test until they go live - causing a lot of issues for those who enjoy PvP.

It would be great if there was a way to set up some more close to 'real-world/real load' PvP queue testing so this ttpe of stuff could be avoiided.

But as someone who did play the previous queue system on occassion, I'm sorry, NO - horribly unbalanced PvP was NOT fun; and I don't think continuing with the unbalanced queueing that was occuring before is a good solution.

It's too bad (and this would probably be a lot of new software tech) where after a time limit, the PvP queue system could pop up and say "10vs10 is not attracting enough player, but a 5vs5 could now be started on the same map' - or have some to give players options similar to what they chose when not enough people are queueing for exactly what they would like.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vennie22
Playing with imbalanced teams certainly was a lot more fun than getting < 4 matches per day and spending hours on top of hours just sitting in the queue and clicking through the invitation windows and the "NoPossibleMaps" prompts.
I'll bet you were on the plus side.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeowww View Post
I don't really play STO anymore but I haven't seen this suggested---audio notification for the queue. Frankly I was reading a book and watching old episodes of Voyager while waiting for the queue to start, but I would always miss the engage button because I wasn't watching the screen intently. So an audio notification would be nice so people can watch TV or something while waiting for the queue. (Although it's ridiculous that we have to wait so long in the first place, and the main reason why I quit.)
This might sound simple, but I think could make a world of difference. A really minor enhancement like this could help us avoid games timing out cos not enough people engage, when they're merely just distracted, grabbin a drink, on a bio break, etc, whilst waiting for the queue to pop.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry, I feel like a **** now. I'm sure you guys are all working hard to fix the stuff, I just really like the game and I wanna play it! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojon View Post
I'll bet you were on the plus side.
Being on the lower side can actually be quite a bit of fun. Anyone who enjoys the game itself wouldn't hope for the deck to be stacked in their favor in that way. Their fleet sure doesn't need to be on the plus side.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiy
Btw, we have had a shanty town game earlier with 4 or 5 fed players vs like 10 klingons in it (and that wasn't the usual scoreboard issue where people quittet, one side really outnumbered the other one heavily, i don't think i've ever seen a 10 on 5 before on ground lol)

So theres maybe something wrong with the new shanty queue settings, several of the present players submitted a bug report as far as i know, can't give you a number tho.
I was in this match. It was an FvK shanty match - score board attached:

http://tinypic.com/r/s44403/3

Note there were 10 KDF players and 4 Feds in the match at the same time from the very start. There seems to have been a problem with the way this match has been initiated, because I've never seen a match so unbalanced since Season 2 launched.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
In the meantime I suggest that

1) all people who are waiting for a match get sent to an Open PvP zone, where their kills and other stats are monitored and recorded.

2) Romulan ships would be playable in this zones

3) Sector control would be determined by the aggregate K/D from this daily.

4) We wouldnt need any arena PvP if 1-3 were fulfilled.

Yours in helpful Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
nevermind, Double Post
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
There was a solution proposed to this problem in the PvP Interface thread which, while requiring new tech, would really solve both these problems.

Copy/pasting an excerpt:
I'd just like to +1 this, and note that it's substantially similar to something I proposed way back when: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...2&postcount=33

There's a few more ideas in there about presentation and process, which may be useful.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenneally View Post
Unfortunately it looks like Starfleet is outnumbering Klingons by about 2 to 1 in most queues I have seen. Many are complaining about the new system as it doesn't start games unless they are matched within +-1 players for smaller queues and +- 2 for the larger maps (area control for example).

Turning this off potentially imbalances the games even more - returning the games to possibly highly imbalanced like you would see pre-Season 2. Tightening this up more means that even more games would be canceled. If we balanced queues and didn't require players to accept their offers (auto-accept), then we'd run into the problem of AFKs in games.

We will be tuning the PvP queues more in the coming weeks to try to come to the best possible solution, but for now that is our predicament.
So Klingons now, on top of the second class citizen role they are forced into, are being considered cannon fodder for the Feds. I will leave every PvP match immediately if the numbers are uneven.

I can't even imagine how someone can come up with the idea to allow uneven numbers in the PvP maps STO currently has. If 5 Klingons are queued and 20 Feds, only allow 5 Feds, the others have to wait. It's simple like that. If one of the Feds doesn't accept, pick the next one in the queue. Seriously, how hard can it be???????????

EDIT: I changed my mind and simply won't participate in PvP until this imbalance issue is fixed. I'll just stay cloaked at the base in the games I have to do for the Dailies. Considering that I mostly play on the Klingon side, there then is really nothing much left to do. That really gets me thinking, my subscription runs out Aug, 4.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-01-2010, 08:28 PM
This is terrible! I mean, new queue system its horrible.
In 2 hrs i could only enter to 1, yes, 2hrs = 1 PVP!!
Plz, fix it or go back to old queue.