Lt. Commander
I had come up with this idea in the middle of a Fleet STF last night, and a few of the people in it agreed it would be somewhat effective. (One being a Sergeant in the US Military.)

Grenadier Rifles.

It's exactly the same as any other bolt setting rifle in-game, except for the attachment of an underbarrel launcher. (I've seen seperate grenade and mortar-type weapons in Star Trek, such as the Quantum Mortar in TOS "Arena", and in STO, actually.)
Basically, it would be a Mk XI weapon, for the 32 DPS and the idea of it firing 3 quick bolts, instead of 2, adding up in total to its amount of damage. And instead of a Sniper Shot, which we've seen, it works much like the Grenade Kits the Tac Officers recieve. It fires an AoE effect Photon Grenade (Or Quantum, depending on the dev's choice) that does more damage than the AoE cone or Cylinder shots, but less than a sniper shot, and either stuns or knocks back any enemy within a certain radius. And of course, it would have a decent cooldown time, to prevent spamming.

I can see it being integrated on a few Rifle types, like the Tetryon and Phaser Rifles, since they both seem to have this large empty gap underneath the barrels that can possibly be taken by this attachment.

I know you're asking, "Is this really needed? Tac Officers get Grenades already!"
Well, it's not for you, silly! it's for the classes that combat-wise, don't do quite as much damage as the others, and would need a quick boost to turn the tide of a really sketchy battle. (Like the one i went into in B'Tran about an hour after the patch. 3 Swordmasters, 2 Warriors, and a Dahar Master. Solo group wiped 5 times in 3 minutes.)

It's just a suggestion. Any feedback is appreciated, as long as it's logical and doesn't intend to flame me in all caps or assorted ramblings of letters and numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-02-2010, 05:15 AM
I love the idea, and perhaps it could be set up like this:

1: Primary: Stun Grenade mode. Small damage, allowing the player to do a fair amount of damage and then retreat, while enemy is held for a second or two. Balance wise do less damage than actual stun grenades and have no radius.

2: A High Explosive charge mode as secondary, with a smaller splash damage (perhaps 1/3 of the photon grenade) and as a exploit weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Yes plz! Just so i can use the phrase, " They are dug in worse than an Alabama tick!" then luanch a salvo of grenades and spit tobacco.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I had the thought of doing seperate grenade types, much like the Tac Kits have, but then i began to wonder how the devs could integrate that into the game somehow. It could work if you had seperate grenadier-style rifles with different grenade settings, such as "Phaser Grenadier - Stun Grenade Mk XI" or "Tetryon Grenadier - Explosive Mk XI", much like we have different types of weapon settings for the same energy weapon type.

Also, i agree. The radius of the secondary fire for the grenade could be a bit smaller than the usual Photon Grenade, since most targetting with weapons on the ground involves selecting a target and using it as a beacon...so it could be strategically done to be fired into a big group and knock them all onto the floor.

Also, i thought of the cooldown of the Secondary Grenade fire, for the sake of not having a 3rd Person MMO Modern Warfare 2 moment where everyone's running around the maps lobbing grenades at everyone as their only weapon. I believe it shouldn't be as long as the Sniper Shot, but not incredibly quick either. Also, it should lock you in place like the Sniper round as well. (Again, to prevent noobtubing.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Bump for the sake of the Scientific Method.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-03-2010, 09:03 AM
There is a weapon with similar functionality already, I believe it is the "blast assault" weapon. Primary fire is a single bolt, secondary is a large bolt that when hits does an AoE knockdown and damage, similar to a photon grenade, bonus that most of the time you even get flanking damage from the AoE
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
I remember that - But i recently picked up one of those on an alt and tried to use it, and as it turns out, it's relatively useless. It fires a single bolt that has a very long recharge time, and the secondary attack - although much like a Grenade, fires as a beam with an explosive impact (With an even longer cooldown.)

The weapon i had in mind had the primary fire and such of either a Phaser Sniper Rifle (Or a Rapid Fire Assault / Pulse Rifle), with the slightly short cooldown between shots, while the secondary fire worked much like the Photon Grenades and such from Tac Kits (Cooldowns, etc...) and would be able to fire over cover, compared to having to have a direct line-of-sight to use it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-04-2010, 01:51 AM
I want to be able to transport down my Main battle tank from the cargo of my ship....

i can transport down turrets already.... why not my tank?! its getting dusty....
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-04-2010, 06:28 AM
its allready ingame its called a blast phaser i think theres variants in other damage types too .
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Phaser Blast Assault. Yes, but that's a two-handed heavy weapon that works much like a Support weapon. The Secondary fire Sprays bullets at everything in a cone radius.

Think people. THINK. I know it's really tough to do, especially since i get to see all of the swamped forum threads where 64 people gripe about anything that's placed in-game that can be considered an advantage...