Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
08-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Well I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I don't like 10v10 max. It is far less enjoyable than the 7v7 matches. Whether it starts with less or not, its the max numbers that are the issue.
The difference is this.

PvP now takes awhile When it was Cap and Hold small (5v5-7v7) you could have 1 dozen people online PvPing on the Klingon side - 7 in the Cap and Hold and 5 in an arena match - or second cap and hold match. Either way, with 5v7 you have a better chance of competing than you do when one side has 10 people (2 ships for each flag). The small games served a functional purpose of allowing for more concurrent games, and better chances in a mismatch due to #s of players per flag ratios.

Now if you have 12 Klingon people on - 10 are in the long Cap and Hold - and 2 are waiting. Something else I have noticed - you can have 18 Klingon people online and 8 will be waiting for the next queue if there are more than 10 Fed players queued in a game - because a new game will not start until at least 9 queue. It will allow a game to be played without 9, but it won't pop the queues to engage a new game with fewer than 9.

Snix - I am not understanding the logic behind the changes. Can you please fill us in and explain what we must clearly be missing. You guys keep statistics on everything, so run a report on PvP and look at the numbers. There are fewer people PvPing concurrently in matches right now and more people than usual queued and waiting - and that doesn't even address the bug issues where you get prompted to wait or NoMap messages. I don't understand how almost every match has uneven teams, then during these uneven games one can look at the queue and people have been waiting for both factions to join a match the whole time.

I was in a cap and hold tonight where the Klingons had 7 vs Fed 10. A friend, same rank Klingon as me, told me there were 6 Klingons at my level waiting in both the Cap and Hold queues (and more than 30 Feds in each queue). Why couldn't we get 3 of those waiting Klingons and even the game?

Look at it from the Klingon side for a change - not the Fed side - and you'll see how PvP appears broken from a Klingon perspective.

1) Uneven matches
2) Larger games = few games and longer wait times
3) The frustration is so high folks are just logging off, which doesn't help the rest of the community.

I was very troubled tonight to see how empty the Klingon Empire was. At midnight EDT, I logged in and out to check and confirm there were more Federation players in the Sol Spacedock instances than in all of the instances of Qonos, Ganalda Station, and in Azlesa Expanse normal and Elite combined. It gets difficult to play a PvP faction in an MMO when you are 1) by yourself, 2) pvp is broken, or the alternative of 3) exploration missions are constantly bugged (you warp in to find the mission is empty of content).

BTW, if you are in any exploration map and leave to a queue - you cannot continue the mission under any circumstances as a Klingon in Azlesa Expanse. You will get the prompt, but you lose the mission for good. When you try to rejoin - the mission continues as an "approach the planet mission" every single time - except you can't do anything once you get to the planet. Feature or bug?
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Yep managed one game last night! one stinking game! I made it into 3 maps though, but was told twice that I was being removed from the map within 10 seconds then boom. What the hell is that???

as for leaving an exploration mission for a queue pop - the consequences have to be a bug! an annoying one at that!!
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snix View Post
The capture and hold maps will still support smaller teams, it has just been collapsed into a single queue that could support 10v10 but will launch with less (such as 5v5) if there are less people in the queue.

-snix
This does sound like a novel idea - I like the idea of fewer queues, but isn't working as intended (described above). The matches aren't launching until there's 18 in queue for it. I've not seen a single 5vs5 match start.

Still, I'd also personally prefer we keep a small C&H map (7vs7), as, from experience, matches take so much longer on the larger map - the larger number of players makes it more difficult for flags to be kept capped. And I agree with Darksided, that the larger sized map (10vs10) is more likely to result in far more imbalnced teams. We can often get by with 5vs7 matches - but 5vs10 leaves us very little chance.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Quote:
The capture and hold maps will still support smaller teams, it has just been collapsed into a single queue that could support 10v10 but will launch with less (such as 5v5) if there are less people in the queue.

-snix
I have pressed engage 5 times now and nothing happens
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:

-snix
this is total rubbish i havent seen a single game invite for the last 2 day's until there is atlest 9 on each side,

As for getting into a game that's totaly screwed atm, if it's not nopossiblemap error, it's not enough players, or it just does nothing and drops you from the pvp queue list. But my personal favorate so far has been join a game only to get warped out of map 10 seconds later.

Question : if there is like 10+ feds queueing and only 7 kilingons is it ment to pop a 7v7 (5v5min)? because after 15 minutes of waiting it hasnt done anything yet.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-03-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
PvP is busted.... Please change it back to the pre-patch version...
100% agree

Many my Fleetmembers get tired wait for PvP and thinkover to Break STO abit
Im very unhappy with the actual situation and im not alone
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebreakthru
PvP is busted.... Please change it back to the pre-patch version... I tried for 3 hours today and wasn't able to get into a single match. Constant pop-ups, pressing engage and then a number of messages(not enough players in game, no map available, map error, etc., etc., etc.). Please lower the queue time to <30 seconds(60 seconds in too long). I will be happy to play in matches that are uneven at times as long as I can get into a freakin game......
Agreed, I usually PvP all the time (maybe 15 to 20 times a day) but unfortunately since they "fixed" it, I am lucky if I can get in the ones needed for my dailys, that being 3. I know that before if a match was going and there was a open slot I could que myself up and get in right away. The business with no map available is quite annoying. Since there is not a lot of end-game you really need to work on the PvP in this game, more maps, more gametypes and most of all a better way for the QUE to work properly!
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksided View Post
The difference is this.

PvP now takes awhile When it was Cap and Hold small (5v5-7v7) you could have 1 dozen people online PvPing on the Klingon side - 7 in the Cap and Hold and 5 in an arena match - or second cap and hold match. Either way, with 5v7 you have a better chance of competing than you do when one side has 10 people (2 ships for each flag). The small games served a functional purpose of allowing for more concurrent games, and better chances in a mismatch due to #s of players per flag ratios.

Now if you have 12 Klingon people on - 10 are in the long Cap and Hold - and 2 are waiting. Something else I have noticed - you can have 18 Klingon people online and 8 will be waiting for the next queue if there are more than 10 Fed players queued in a game - because a new game will not start until at least 9 queue. It will allow a game to be played without 9, but it won't pop the queues to engage a new game with fewer than 9.

Snix - I am not understanding the logic behind the changes. Can you please fill us in and explain what we must clearly be missing. You guys keep statistics on everything, so run a report on PvP and look at the numbers. There are fewer people PvPing concurrently in matches right now and more people than usual queued and waiting - and that doesn't even address the bug issues where you get prompted to wait or NoMap messages. I don't understand how almost every match has uneven teams, then during these uneven games one can look at the queue and people have been waiting for both factions to join a match the whole time.

I was in a cap and hold tonight where the Klingons had 7 vs Fed 10. A friend, same rank Klingon as me, told me there were 6 Klingons at my level waiting in both the Cap and Hold queues (and more than 30 Feds in each queue). Why couldn't we get 3 of those waiting Klingons and even the game?

Look at it from the Klingon side for a change - not the Fed side - and you'll see how PvP appears broken from a Klingon perspective.

1) Uneven matches
2) Larger games = few games and longer wait times
3) The frustration is so high folks are just logging off, which doesn't help the rest of the community.

I was very troubled tonight to see how empty the Klingon Empire was. At midnight EDT, I logged in and out to check and confirm there were more Federation players in the Sol Spacedock instances than in all of the instances of Qonos, Ganalda Station, and in Azlesa Expanse normal and Elite combined. It gets difficult to play a PvP faction in an MMO when you are 1) by yourself, 2) pvp is broken, or the alternative of 3) exploration missions are constantly bugged (you warp in to find the mission is empty of content).

BTW, if you are in any exploration map and leave to a queue - you cannot continue the mission under any circumstances as a Klingon in Azlesa Expanse. You will get the prompt, but you lose the mission for good. When you try to rejoin - the mission continues as an "approach the planet mission" every single time - except you can't do anything once you get to the planet. Feature or bug?
Has to be a bug. Never seen this before. Also, if you get to the planet, it warps you out. Also, sometimes I've been entered into missions that is changed to "kill x squads". As I fly through the mission area... the # of squads killed goes up... and up... and up... without me doing anything except flying at full impulse...
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I've been sitting here, queued for an hour on an FvF C & H map. I leave the PvP window up while I am reading the forums. I've seen 3 different behaviors.
  1. Engage button disappears in 5 seconds or less, and the "not enough people responded" message appears
  2. I click "Engage" and the countdown disappears before it hits 0 and the "not enough people responded" message is displayed.
  3. I click Engage and the countdown reaches 0 and does not go away. A minute or two later, it disappears. No message is displayed when it disappears. It appears that I am removed from the queue, but when I go to join, a message informs me that I am already a member of the queue.

I hope some devs and QA people are observing behavior during prime time....
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksided View Post

It has to be a bug, and I get it all the time. I had two aid the planets saved up. Went to pick up the commodities came back to Btran clicked to continue and got a brand new random mission. Tried like 10 times for both. No go. I've also got the approach the planet and nothing happens. Ive also approached a planet and gotten the option to beam down but when I click "beam down" nothing happens." Every time I leave an exploration mission for PvP it never allows me to complete the mission. Yesterday was one of the most frustrating days I've had playing STO. To top it all off I spent 1 and a half hours doing the Big Dig daily, only to get bumped from the server with only one artifact left to shield. Needless to say I was not starting that all over (Big Dig =/= 3 emblems in my book). But yeah the exploration missions are really buggy now.