Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I've actually heard the "venders" refered to as "Quartermasters" on more than one occasion, and that's how I like to think of them, at least the starfleet ones. you give them energy credits for an item, and they replicate what you need and issue it to you. And it's not that Humanity has eliminated money, per say, they've eliminated the concept of accumulation of wealth.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-04-2010, 11:04 PM
"GOLD...WORTHLESS GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *Crumples the gold into dust*
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
The Federation DO use currency and this has been demonstrated a few times.

Anything we see saying they dont use money can either be rationalised as being propaganda or simply a change in 'definition / interpretation' of what money is. This is not the first time Star Trek has broken it's own ideals of a 'perfect society' or tried to push ideals that are simply beyond stupid outside of a fantasy setting.
Multiple times money has been described as non-existent.

Quote:
Ronald D. Moore commented: "By the time I joined TNG, Gene had decreed that money most emphatically did NOT exist in the Federation, nor did 'credits' and that was that. Personally, I've always felt this was a bunch of hooey, but it was one of the rules and that's that."
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-05-2010, 03:19 AM
If all I had to do was stand around and monitor giant replicators all day, using my intuitive engineering skills and possibly earning some extra energy credits of my own; I'd say that's not so bad. It's something to do, and a hella lot easier than our jobs today.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I'd say that they've done away with money in the sense that they no longer use a monetary, gold based system that fluctuates in value every day, and have switched to the use of (energy) credits, something that is unaffected by inflation. Something that costs 50 credits to make today will still cost 50 credits next year.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSARGuy
"GOLD...WORTHLESS GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *Crumples the gold into dust*
Yes, but this is contradicted a few times. Remember Quark WOULD accept gold as payment in Little Green Men. I asked Ronald D Moore about this contradiction when he answered questions on AOL. And he basically weaseled out of it. He said that it was because Quark was living among Humans and that gold was valueable there. But remember he wouldn't accept dollars, which were valuable there also.

Plus, there are many references to where Gold is valuable even in the TNG/DS9/VOY era. Remember in the last outpost the Ferengi refer to the gold in Starfleet communicators as valuable. As well as some DS9 episodes. And, there's an episode of Voyager where Tom Paris mentions that some Ferengi tried to break into Fort Knox to steal the gold.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
But, why are energy credits never mentioned in the post TOS era? We never see someone insert their energy credits into a replicator to get food. Or say something like "I don't have enough energy credits to buy it." .
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhansWrath
the reason humanity gave up money is because after world war 3 we got the vulcans attention with a basic warp jump from cochran, now the vulcans being emotionless communists came down and made earth better with their tech and insisted money be done away with. humanity seeing the world being a better place without worrying about money got into the habit and it stuck in the federation that money wouldnt be needed, but you still need to have the energy or whatnot to get things specially made since in communism everyone only gets an equal share :p
Not after the Vulcan's landed. Remember in TOS Scotty was talking about "buying a boat"
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedman70
Not that I really mind. But, in References from Star Trek First Contact, and the TNG episode "Time's arrow" and the DS9 episode: In the cards, it's been stated that the Federation doesn't use money. But there are many forms of currency in this game.

It's never explained why they don't use money anymore. The usual conclusion is that replicators can make pretty much anything anyone wants- for free. But, even if they could make things out of pure energy, you'd still need people that run the power plants, fuel it and maintain it. Will they do it for free? Plus, there are many things that replicators can't make. What about things that are too large to replicate, like real estate? Or a personal ship/runabout
Because an MMO needs currency. lol.
Lt. Commander
# 20 Well said
08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luepert View Post
Because an MMO needs currency. lol.
Exactly the point, short and sweet. Folks just don't like being "poor" in an MMO so this argument is being trotted out. The fact of the matter is, selling good loot is very lucrative. That, plus PVP, plus the fact that badges buy you VERY good gear for very little effort means this discussion doesn't really merit anything further.

Back when the exchange limits were disabled I made a mint. I'm still not a 10M+ player but I certainly did well.