Lt. Commander
# 11
08-04-2010, 04:27 AM
I think one of the very important aspects being overlooked by the OP is that in recent interviews, Dan Stahl has acknowledged this very issue and stated that the focus would shift to releasing less, but more polished content/features. He stated that season 3 would only be about 1 or 2 major things (as opposed to the 6 of season 2).
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
The whole game currently is just "a foundation to grow off of". But instead of actually growing, or making the foundation they have stable, they instead keep slapping on more poorly-designed and shabbily-constructed "foundation".

The OP is exactly right. And the excuse "well, the players asked for it" doesn't fly. What the players ask for should be considered, certainly, but players don't have the information to understand what resources are available, and how a given request will impact other priorities like fixing bugs and creating actual content.
I think there's no question that the game isn't where it should be. There's a lot that's good about STO, but there's a lot of things that are woefully lacking. We know this. The ship interiors are a great case in point. Before they launched, we were told that they'd be functional, that functionality was a high priority for them. There were going to be minigames in Engineering, Sickbay, etc.

And we know they're still working on those minigames and other interior functions. But they didn't get them in on time. So what we have now is a skeleton - the meat will be added...later. That's what the devs say.

I believe them. But it doesn't change the fact that all we have now is a skeleton, and people are going to look at that skeleton and be...turned off. Because all they see is the skeleton. That's the problem with releasing stuff in a half-finished state.

But...while 'players asked for it' might not be an excuse, it is a reason. It is the reason behind most of the stuff Cryptic does. It may not be a good reason - but it's the reason.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
Players asked for ship interiors and minigames. Specifically Dabo, in fact. People wanted these things. Cryptic can't be blamed for giving players what they asked for.
The problem is the difference between Wanting something and needing something.

We *need* more content throughout the game, so we don't have to do all the same missions everytime we make a new character.Currently, there isn't even enough content in terms of storyline to get up to VA1, without doing grinds like explore or patrols-- and there's nothing wrong with patrols or explore or DSEs, but they probably should be optional.

We also *need* more content for klingons- more customization, more uniform options, the whole sha-bang. And season 2 added some of this stuff, but not enough of it.

Again- not critiquing cryptic for trying to give players what they want, devs who do are better than devs who ignore feedback and desires all together and do what they want, on the other hand Cryptic seems to have gone to the opposite extreme- trying to give everyone their wants, rather than saying "sorry, but we need to drop in some needs first"
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
If Cryptic hadn't have focused on adding "bridges" into STO, could they have provided more Klingon content at release?

If Cryptic hadn't have focused on adding "interiors" into STO, could they have provided more meaningful exploration and diplomacy content for both Feds and Klingon?

If Cryptic hadn't focused on adding in Dabo and a voice over into STO, could they have provided a more robust PvP game for those inclined?

Yes, this is going back and second-guessing choices or decisions or even playing Monday morning quarterback.

But, do you see the long-term trend presented by the above questions?

The kids wanted pretty pictures to look at and Cryptic gave it to them. And it entertained them for all of 5mins (or a few hours). And then the kids became bored and went back to dwarfs and dinosaurs.

The adults want something that they can invest in long-term, that takes a few weeks or months to really get into the nitty-gritty of.

And the adults are still sitting around waiting, watching the kids run and play, and wondering what they're going to be doing tonight.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
If Cryptic hadn't have focused on adding "bridges" into STO, could they have provided more Klingon content at release?
Unlikely. Bridges were probably not a huge drain on resources, and removing them wouldn't have effected Klingon content very much. Even if it did free up a lot of resources, they'd probably have gone to the Federation, because that faction wasn't doomed by deadlines from the start.

Quote:
If Cryptic hadn't have focused on adding "interiors" into STO, could they have provided more meaningful exploration and diplomacy content for both Feds and Klingon?
Well, the interiors come from the map design department, and the number of maps added by the diplomacy system is zero. So no.

Quote:
If Cryptic hadn't focused on adding in Dabo and a voice over into STO, could they have provided a more robust PvP game for those inclined?
Probably not in the six months we've had so far. And the tech developed by Dabo has already gone into the scanning thing, which is a start towards making "scan five thing" missions something you can't sleep through. And it'll probably be used to develop minigame-like acvitives for your bridge and interiors: ie repairing injuries on crew members in sickbay or repairing damage in engineering, for example. Which will ultimately lead to a better experience overall.

I'm not saying Season 2 is perfect. God no, it's got massive bugs that need to be fixed yesterday, but I do appreciate what they added.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander_X View Post
Well, the interiors come from the map design department, and the number of maps added by the diplomacy system is zero. So no.
I'd count one new map, the observation lounge where First Contacts and the Bajor mission take place.

Your point still stands, but I'd count 1 instead of 0.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
honestly... I feel they sweep the forums looking for threads that garner a lot of posts/reads, and pull their development focus from those.

Not so much minding how it all fits together, but rather if something squeaks, it must get oiled.

Dabo, Leeta, cloaks, interiors, those cat people, yada yada the list goes on... the more people scream for something (come to think of it... it may only be a few, but a rather vocal few), the item in question goes to the development line and is pumped out for the next season...

real storyboard and development be darned, when they can add 1-4 missions and the rest of the patch as mini-games, some corridors (which aren't rocket science to build with the existing brushes from the tutorial), and c-store items.

welcome to sto.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
What I dont like about the first contact missions is that they are not really true first contact. Starfleet already made contact and basically said to them "Please wait as we put you on hold so we can send a starship your way". Thats just how I look at it anyway. If it were first contact the way I think of it, they wouldnt have a clue who Starfleet is or perhaps only heard about starfleet somewhere.

I will admit that my imagination right now isnt good enough to come up with better alternatives to remedy this, but its just how I feel about this particular mission type.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth2000 View Post
What I dont like about the first contact missions is that they are not really true first contact. Starfleet already made contact and basically said to them "Please wait as we put you on hold so we can send a starship your way". Thats just how I look at it anyway. If it were first contact the way I think of it, they wouldnt have a clue who Starfleet is or perhaps only heard about starfleet somewhere.

I will admit that my imagination right now isnt good enough to come up with better alternatives to remedy this, but its just how I feel about this particular mission type.
Those are true first contact missions. They work just like they do in TNG, where this is drawn from. Not the movie First Contact. That's a little bit of a misnomer. These are diplomatic first contacts. I'd recommend checking out some of the TNG episodes for more of an idea of how they work than the movie with time travelling Borg and "take a leak" jokes being explained to Geordi.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Those are true first contact missions. They work just like they do in TNG, where this is drawn from. Not the movie First Contact. That's a little bit of a misnomer. These are diplomatic first contacts. I'd recommend checking out some of the TNG episodes for more of an idea of how they work than the movie with time travelling Borg and "take a leak" jokes being explained to Geordi.
I suppose I was a little confused. I know that Picard didn't have starfleet sending him to speak with a new species all the time. He just encountered them and made first contact. He does say in the movie Nemesis that he has made first contact with over 27 alien species. Oh well... it is what it is, and more content is better than none.