Lt. Commander
If one reads the forums one of the first things he will notice is the plethora of threads started for the sole purpose of complaining about the lack of Klingon Faction( from here on refereed to as the KDF) content. Now every MMO has complainers, but their are a few times when those complainers have a point. KDF players have a point.

The real issue stems from the fact that there really is only one faction in the game that being the Federation( Fed for short). The KDF was only tact on at the end of development so there could be PvP in the game. Other than PvP the KDF serves absolutely no purpose. There is almost nothing for a KDF player to do, besides PvP.

With season 2 Cryptic introduced some PvE content to the KDF, but the problem is it really is not nearly enough for the KDF to be a real faction yet. This has angered some KDF fans who where expecting(quite unreasonable at the moment) for a full faction.

This is why I sat down and thought to myself what could Cryptic do to rectify this situation. Let start off by saying we need a KDF faction. In order for the Feds to have meaningful conflict there must be a meaningful enemy; you can not achieve this solely in PvE content you need PvP content as well, but the problem is why would someone want to play as the KDF since they are not a real faction.

I believe Cryptic needs to stop adding more KDF content for now and start working on a KDF expansion pack. I am not saying give up on the KDF, but what I am saying is that by only paying lip service and handing out some content crumbs little by little to KDF players all Cryptic will accomplish is angering them. I know that some people are going to be upset with such a proposal because they want everything now, but the problem is these things take time. So if Cryptic is serious about making a real KDF faction than I believe it is in their and the players best interest that they just concentrate on doing it as an Expansion pack for latter down the road. This will give them the time they need to develop the KDF to the same standards as the Feds,
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
If anybody else has any better ideas or want to add to mine please post.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Okay, here's my chime in regarding content for the factions. Also, you'll have to pardon the exaggerated time frames that I toss out here.

In the two years from license to release, the devs produced the Fed content which is the primary focal point for ST and STO. During that time devs created Klingons and a little Klingon content but have since added in some exploration, DSE's and few more missions. Roughly maybe 2-3months of dev time. That leaves another 18-21months to fully develop the Klingon faction up to par with Fed provided that Cryptic maintains the same staffing levels that they had for the previous two years. See an issue yet?

Now, Cryptic has plans for adding in other playable factions into STO. Should they each arrive with roughly 24 months of content ready for them on their release date? So we get Rommies in 2012 and Cardies in 2014, Borg in 2016 and Horta in 2018?

Or should the logical, sane resolution to this whole issue of "other faction content" be that the combination of content for all of the other playable factions totals up to be roughly equal to the Feds?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
Okay, here's my chime in regarding content for the factions. Also, you'll have to pardon the exaggerated time frames that I toss out here.

In the two years from license to release, the devs produced the Fed content which is the primary focal point for ST and STO. During that time devs created Klingons and a little Klingon content but have since added in some exploration, DSE's and few more missions. Roughly maybe 2-3months of dev time. That leaves another 18-21months to fully develop the Klingon faction up to par with Fed provided that Cryptic maintains the same staffing levels that they had for the previous two years. See an issue yet?

Now, Cryptic has plans for adding in other playable factions into STO. Should they each arrive with roughly 24 months of content ready for them on their release date? So we get Rommies in 2012 and Cardies in 2014, Borg in 2016 and Horta in 2018?

Or should the logical, sane resolution to this whole issue of "other faction content" be that the combination of content for all of the other playable factions totals up to be roughly equal to the Feds?
Not a terrible idea, but I do not think development needs to take that long. In all honesty we could probably see development of new factions in six to twelve months. the reason being all the assets are already there. They don't necessarily need to make new textures they do not need to build a new engine. Expansion rarely take as much development time as the original product mainly because all the tools are already in place.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Other Klingon players may disagree, but I pretty much said exactly this a while back. To me, it seems like Cryptic doesn't have a cohesive vision for the KDF faction, and throwing stuff out there willy-nilly can only result in a patchwork game experience.

One thing I'd like to see is for Cryptic to decide what each faction is "about," and work on new tech and new content to support their vision. Starfleet can already be considered to be about diplomacy, and this should be expanded on. Klingons, on the other hand, might be about territorial PvP and competitive PvE; Romulans might be about espionage-oriented missions; Cardies might be about... well, whatever it is Cardies are about, etc. This way, each faction release would be accompanied not just by new content, but by new types of content, supported by new tech that can be adapted to previously existing factions.

But yeah, this diddlyfutzing around with adding the same old same-old risks losing out on opportunities for the growth of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
Other Klingon players may disagree, but I pretty much said exactly this a while back. To me, it seems like Cryptic doesn't have a cohesive vision for the KDF faction, and throwing stuff out there willy-nilly can only result in a patchwork game experience.

One thing I'd like to see is for Cryptic to decide what each faction is "about," and work on new tech and new content to support their vision. Starfleet can already be considered to be about diplomacy, and this should be expanded on. Klingons, on the other hand, might be about territorial PvP and competitive PvE; Romulans might be about espionage-oriented missions; Cardies might be about... well, whatever it is Cardies are about, etc. This way, each faction release would be accompanied not just by new content, but by new types of content, supported by new tech that can be adapted to previously existing factions.

But yeah, this diddlyfutzing around with adding the same old same-old risks losing out on opportunities for the growth of the game.
That is very close to what I was thinking. Make every new faction an Expansion Pack release. This also helps to market the game as people see new STO expansions in the stores. The expansions don't necessarily need to cost much either price them between ten to twenty dollars. I realize some people might complain about having to pay for new factions, but remember this the more money Cryptic makes off of STO the more they will develop for it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I think the only thing you can do for Klingons in the immediate future is to turn the Neutral Zone into an open PVP zone. If you're in there, you can be attacked and dragged into a DSE by another player. If you enter a system in the NZ, you can fight it out with anyone who is there.

Frankly, beyond that I think the Klingons should be completely ignored until the Federation gameplay hits the right point, and then we can talk about porting that into the Klingon faction.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
I think the only thing you can do for Klingons in the immediate future is to turn the Neutral Zone into an open PVP zone. If you're in there, you can be attacked and dragged into a DSE by another player. If you enter a system in the NZ, you can fight it out with anyone who is there.

Frankly, beyond that I think the Klingons should be completely ignored until the Federation gameplay hits the right point, and then we can talk about porting that into the Klingon faction.
I agree with RvR, but I do not think the KDF should be completely ignored I believe they should have a team on the side completely devoted to developing a KDF expansion pack.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presbytier View Post
The KDF was only tact on at the end of development so there could be PvP in the game.
False. The Klingon faction was intended to be a full fledged faction with full PvE content. However, as Cryptic got closer to launch and realized they wouldnt be able to do it, they decided to call the Klingons "PvP focused" rather than "unfinished". The point, however, is that Klingons were not simply intended to be PvP only as you imply.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
False. The Klingon faction was intended to be a full fledged faction with full PvE content. However, as Cryptic got closer to launch and realized they wouldnt be able to do it, they decided to call the Klingons "PvP focused" rather than "unfinished". The point, however, is that Klingons were not simply intended to be PvP only as you imply.
That is essentially what I said. Cryptic made them PvP only and that is what they are ; thats the facts. I really do not care what Cryptic originally intended. I am merely dealing with what we have and offering what I think could be a possible solution. So if you actually have a real solution instead of trying to start a fight I would like to hear it.