Lt. Commander
I put the game on hold few months ago, as I hit the RA5 in Klingon and then just to check if whining about cloak etc was true, went a good way with a char in Fed as well (As I thought, it was just whining. But it was interesting anyhow)

Now as the game is patching, I am wondering if anything has really changed. Klingon side with strong emphasis on PvP was what I was looking, but in the end found it seriously lacking;

I can't consider some arena pvp as real pvp in any sense as meaningfull pvp, sure it is good for leveling your character but after you hit RA5, it went quickly from mildly amusing to boring grind with no real reward for the time spent.

So I am a bit pessimistic, release notes say that pvp queues have recieved enhancement, if they work now that should help slightly playing this form of pvp but still root problem is lack of meaningfull involvement to world with pvp.

Like has been suggested in some posts, a neutral zone or something similar. If I wanted to play same three scenarios on same maps all over again, well there are plenty of games that allow for teaming online.. some like it, Koreans played Star Craft for years too long, I guess it is a different type of person.
As that is what STO seemed for me as PvPer, an elaborate game lobby. While it is amusing to do a mission now and then, really.. it doesn't carry even if the missions are phenomenal, at least to me they seemed far to often to be same mission with different names and order of things to be done. There most certainly wasn't my own 5 year mission to explore.

Then another question is Klingon side, is it still the embarressing wayward child who gets the scraps?
At least that's how it felt, and now for example looking at the new ships. Federation gets a plethora of new ships and we get a carrier variant (Original carrier didn't really do it for me, thematically or its gameplay, so this is also a miss for me) Not to mention defiant refit, surprise surprise, maybe this proves that whining about cloak really does get you that... there goes the only unique Klingon thing

And the ingame minigames, why? offhand they sound a bit silly to put effort into something that only few will play?

Also if any dev reads this;

Devs, I implore you, at this stage; Do not listen for your players what features the game needs. They really don't know... you need to have focus what you want out of game instead of running around adding dress uniform colors or what not.
Do listen what are the big pain points of players and look into them if there is any actual truth behind the whining and you could retain customers by fixing some of those.

I reluctantly admit that you will propably never introduce real open pvp into this game, as it really requires well thought out plan to execute and really needs focus or it will just go wrong.

Likewise, I hope new races aren't introduced before there is something meaningfull between them... we were supposed to be at war, but now all that is dropped for common threats. If fear the next big surprise feature is Romulans... I guess that would explain why there was time to make only one ship for Klingons.

I see my patch is about done... lessee how long it takes to hit the level cap, perhaps a long weekend will suffice and hopefully find something meaningfull stuff after that (?)

c u at the wrong end of my disruptors....
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Klingons got some new pve missions and costume options. That's about all. The pvp queue 'enhancements' seem to have borked the queues.

As for persistent pvp, I share your hope that we could get this. Not holding my breath. We're stuck with pvp in a box.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Is there any playerbase left other then one year subs and lifers ?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logerius View Post
I put the game on hold few months ago, as I hit the RA5 in Klingon and then just to check if whining about cloak etc was true, went a good way with a char in Fed as well (As I thought, it was just whining. But it was interesting anyhow)

Now as the game is patching, I am wondering if anything has really changed. Klingon side with strong emphasis on PvP was what I was looking, but in the end found it seriously lacking;

I can't consider some arena pvp as real pvp in any sense as meaningfull pvp, sure it is good for leveling your character but after you hit RA5, it went quickly from mildly amusing to boring grind with no real reward for the time spent.

So I am a bit pessimistic, release notes say that pvp queues have recieved enhancement, if they work now that should help slightly playing this form of pvp but still root problem is lack of meaningfull involvement to world with pvp.

Like has been suggested in some posts, a neutral zone or something similar. If I wanted to play same three scenarios on same maps all over again, well there are plenty of games that allow for teaming online.. some like it, Koreans played Star Craft for years too long, I guess it is a different type of person.
As that is what STO seemed for me as PvPer, an elaborate game lobby. While it is amusing to do a mission now and then, really.. it doesn't carry even if the missions are phenomenal, at least to me they seemed far to often to be same mission with different names and order of things to be done. There most certainly wasn't my own 5 year mission to explore.

Then another question is Klingon side, is it still the embarressing wayward child who gets the scraps?
At least that's how it felt, and now for example looking at the new ships. Federation gets a plethora of new ships and we get a carrier variant (Original carrier didn't really do it for me, thematically or its gameplay, so this is also a miss for me) Not to mention defiant refit, surprise surprise, maybe this proves that whining about cloak really does get you that... there goes the only unique Klingon thing

And the ingame minigames, why? offhand they sound a bit silly to put effort into something that only few will play?

Also if any dev reads this;

Devs, I implore you, at this stage; Do not listen for your players what features the game needs. They really don't know... you need to have focus what you want out of game instead of running around adding dress uniform colors or what not.
Do listen what are the big pain points of players and look into them if there is any actual truth behind the whining and you could retain customers by fixing some of those.

I reluctantly admit that you will propably never introduce real open pvp into this game, as it really requires well thought out plan to execute and really needs focus or it will just go wrong.

Likewise, I hope new races aren't introduced before there is something meaningfull between them... we were supposed to be at war, but now all that is dropped for common threats. If fear the next big surprise feature is Romulans... I guess that would explain why there was time to make only one ship for Klingons.

I see my patch is about done... lessee how long it takes to hit the level cap, perhaps a long weekend will suffice and hopefully find something meaningfull stuff after that (?)

c u at the wrong end of my disruptors....
Stop the download. PvP ques are worse now than before the "fix"

We have been begging for a neutral zone open PvP area since launch. Thats the reason most of the Klingons have left. Yet its the "Fedons" (Feds who want to play the "bad" side) that cryptic is listening to, and giving us new outfits to wear and useless mini games.

DStahl seems to have some good ideas but it will take time to implement them and most peoples patients are running thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
Is there any playerbase left other then one year subs and lifers ?
Not many, its mainly a bunch of "Fedons" left. A few Klingons are left but few and far between, Im thinking of cancelling until they come up with a PvP zone and leader board system they are talking about (if they do or not is anyones guess).
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I'll be around Friday and Saturday for some PvP and some content stuff ( PvE or what qualifies as PvE ) . Quick question will I need to do a lot to adjust the builds ? I might bring a few clanmates just for ***** and giggles .

PS : Any advice on builds for a Tac , sci and eng builds would be appreciated. Just PM me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
I'll be around Friday and Saturday for some PvP and some content stuff ( PvE or what qualifies as PvE ) . Quick question will I need to do a lot to adjust the builds ? I might bring a few clanmates just for ***** and giggles .

PS : Any advice on builds for a Tac , sci and eng builds would be appreciated. Just PM me.
cannon rapid fire was nerfed most use scatter volley. That may fave changed since 2.0. And they nerfed all the consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10 View Post
Stop the download. PvP ques are worse now than before the "fix"

We have been begging for a neutral zone open PvP area since launch. Thats the reason most of the Klingons have left. Yet its the "Fedons" (Feds who want to play the "bad" side) that cryptic is listening to, and giving us new outfits to wear and useless mini games.

DStahl seems to have some good ideas but it will take time to implement them and most peoples patients are running thin.

Not many, its mainly a bunch of "Fedons" left. A few Klingons are left but few and far between, Im thinking of cancelling until they come up with a PvP zone and leader board system they are talking about (if they do or not is anyones guess).
Well, some thoughts after few days:

I appreciate the addition of death peanalty to both space and ground, and I think implementation feels good, although admittedly you get around it with a few items in inventory, but my first impression was 'wow, cool, a concussion'
Perhaps it needs a bit more long duration effects which just don't go away with a click, but there is a time element as well and should be included in pvp as well.

Some of the new pve missions seem nice, at least I'd play them once.. but repeat grinding.. yawn. But kudos for the feel of them, still not enough without pvp tho.

As for pvp queues, not sure about them being that bad... at least they consistently produce balanced matches (Well, at least in numbers, perhaps such leaderboard would be a good idea.. and to use it in matchmaking as well) I think the largest question is that there aren't enough players involved in KvF pvp (Or any?) PvP still seems to be a good way of leveling, after playing for two days (with having a RL inbetween) soon hitting MG5 mostly with pvp.

But I expect I won't be renewing my account at this time either... after hitting level cap, I'd just be bored with the current pvp implementation, it's good for leveling and that's pretty much it.
Not before pvp area which has some impact on the world and I think reading forums I appreciate "Fedons" line, characters which are dressed up nice and do.. umm, look nice and want even more costumes.. (damn is this mmo pulling in more of the cosplay crowd than anything?)

I would appreciate all those dress options if I'd be able to get RP out of this, but I am hard pressed to find anyone involved in that in any meaningfull way. Mostly it is the standard smacktalk FvK, and not even IC.

But sure, I'd invite the feds up to my bridge to discuss the terms of prisoner exchange after I would have conquered the PvP target in the pvp zone but alas, pvp in the zones... I can't use that as a RP basis, it barely keeps me leveling.
Where are my Federation prisoners to tortu... err use enhanced interrogation?!
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Well I haven't played since launch, and so its enjoyable for me so far. I like the new accolades and I've racked up a bunch on the new Klingon I rolled.

I'll prolly be bored once I cap out at level 51, but we will see.

Right now, for me this is a good game since my wife's illness alllows me only casual play atm- I don't have time for the big 3 or 6 hour raids in WOW with the rest of my guild.

I'll prolly get a month or two out of it, which isn't bad for 15 bucks.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10 View Post

Then I suggest those people make their patients stop running. Wouldn't want them to get worse now, would we?