Lt. Commander
This was posted in another thread, but for some reason most people seem to be missing it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
I was plowing through the new content when I found tons of UGC related reference. Some of them can even be activated:
http://www.sto-advanced.com/ugc1.jpg
http://www.sto-advanced.com/ugc2.jpg
http://www.sto-advanced.com/ugc3.jpg
http://www.sto-advanced.com/ugc4.jpg
http://www.sto-advanced.com/ugc5.jpg

It seems stuff in the UI are hard coded at the moment. The UGCClient and its hogg file is currently not in the client. There was a reference to an UGC server list, which is interesting, because there is only 1 live game server at the moment (AFAIK). I could find UGC related tool textures but they seem to be generic placeholders.

The good news is, the UGC deployment is starting. It will surely take some time to get it enabled, but it is starting.
I cant wait!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
guess the big secret is out then eh?

well i for one can't wait.. might breath the life back into this game that it sorely needs.. i'll come back if/when UGC is implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I will never play any UGC. You people gripe when the professionals screw things up. I can't imagine how bad it will be when it's done by amateurs.

Edit: Unless the UGC gets a Cryptic endorsement. It could be Crytpic could be allowing users to create material but still require themselves to have final release approval. That I could support. Because then the content is still from Cryptic.

Edit 2: If Cryptic wants to do it right, then they need to have a barrier between the average player and UGC and only allow those UGC that have received the "Cryptic Seal of Approval" to be available to the general population.

Turn the rest of the UGC content into Fleet Admiral "Deep Space" sectors or leave it locked to the Tirbble server until it is up to Cryptic standards. Those that make the grade and get the aforementioned "Cryptic Seal of Approval" then get integrated into your B'Tran Clusters, etc.

But when it comes to UGC, Cryptic should allow users to create the map, mission, and the enemies. Cryptic itself should handle the drops and rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 4
oh wow i cant wait to design a map
Lt. Commander
# 5
If that is legit and the big project for Season 3, I'd be behind it a hundred percent. But I hope the devs look at some of the pitfalls that other games have run into with that (I'm looking at City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies here). The short version is: if there is a way to exploit UGC, players will find that way to do it.

That said, I imagine this would give RP fleets kittens.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I will never play any UGC. You people gripe when the professionals screw things up. I can't imagine how bad it will be when it's done by amateurs.
Oh there will be bad UGC, no doubt. However, there will be really good UGC too. And one of those screenshots showed the ability to rate a mission after you do it, so if your worried about quality you can sort by the highest rated when browsing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Oh there will be bad UGC, no doubt. However, there will be really good UGC too. And one of those screenshots showed the ability to rate a mission after you do it, so if your worried about quality you can sort by the highest rated when browsing.
See my edit. I've never been an "open-source" supporter. I prefer professional programming.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
See my edit. I've never been an "open-source" supporter. I prefer professional programming.
Oh thats fine. Everyone has their own preferences. When I hit end game and feel like I have nothing to do, I'll enjoy UGC. When you do, you can...do nothing
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
meh if your that crazy about it we could always drag a mod/dev into our missions.. see if they like it etc
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
I guess when it comes down to it how much oversight for CBS/Paramount have on the content that goes into the game. I know they have to run alot of stuff by the suits already so this will be the big test. And sure there will probably be alot of terrible stuff that gets submitted, and stuff thats designed to powerlevel people and the like. We can only hope that they will have enough oversight and manpower to go through it all and give us the gems that are created by the truly gifted people.....and endure the forum gripes of 'y did my vulcan luv slave 6 episode not get put in!!!! fail!!!!