Lt. Commander
# 151
08-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
However, Dan said in the last Hailing Frequency interview that they are working on UGC for Season 3. So once again, the files in STO + Dan's own statements seem to contradict what that CO Dev said on their forum.
What part of the interview was that? I have been trying to listen to the interview, but I appear to have developed the attention span of a gnat.
Lt. Commander
# 152
08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
Well if theres one team making UGC then it seems to me that both teams will get the tech at around the same time. Now when the CO and STO teams decide to implement the tech is a different story.

I would tend to trust a official dev post over another dev's hint (did he just give a hint? or was it a statement? I didn't see that interview). Also if Dan said they were working on it for season 3, it wouldn't be a secret project would it?
I must remind people that it is only referred to as a secret project in the Engineering Report (which omits the UGC that dstahl mentions in many interviews - alongside exploration, oddly enough).

So, if I were a betting man and saw the source of the "Secret Project" omitting something so large that is otherwise planned for Season 3, I would hedge my bets and say UGC (possibly with an exploration framework attached) would be coming soon.

Deductive logic - ENGAGE!
Lt. Commander
# 153
08-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Silly Darren, since when has logic ever mattered here?
Lt. Commander
# 154
08-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

So, if I were a betting man and saw the source of the "Secret Project" omitting something so large that is otherwise planned for Season 3, I would hedge my bets and say UGC (possibly with an exploration framework attached) would be coming soon.
My bet would be to flip that around, based on Lexeme's post over at the CO forums. That its most likely going to be an Exploration revamp which will include within it the first partial integration of the UGC system that the Cryptic team is building in the engine.

If what Lexeme says is true (and I have every reason to believe it is) that UGC as such is an ongoing project by the team working on the engine, to be implemented on each game by its team as they see fit, then this would be the most logical way for them to implement it, as the Cryptic team completes their work. I.e. revamp exploration and incorporate UGC systems, Season 4.0 revamp PVP and incorporate UGC systems, etc. etc.

Still have my (completely ignored by the devs) concerns about UGC, but just looking at the data, that's where things seem to be going.
Lt. Commander
# 155
08-07-2010, 09:12 AM
UGC was the worst thing that ever happened to City Of Heroes - my desire to play the game began to tail off just after Architect launched. (Granted, I'd been playing for nearly 5 years at that point).

It just ended up generating Farm maps, then they were nerfed, then another one discovered, then nerfed ad infinitum.

I just wasn't impressed with the change of attitude by the players or the devs after it launched - Positron himself answered a question to me on the Test server during a player meet event that he expected the majority of new missions to come out of the Architect, rather than from the devs. (I don't know if that opinion has changed since I've left).

Sure, I'll play UGC. But given that the majority of UGC content I ever played that was rated 5 stars were giant Rikti/Family farm maps, I don't expect STO will be any different.
Lt. Commander
# 156
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
You know, my experience with UGC in City of Heroes seems to have been completel different than most. Albiet I came late (first tried the Architect a week ago) but all of the missions I played were heavily story driven, well written, and very enjoyable. I was very impressed.

I know people were using it to Farm, but the number of tells I received related to farming were no greater than those I received prior to when I left CoH, which was well before Architect was even announced.
Lt. Commander
# 157
08-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic_Aardvark View Post
UGC was the worst thing that ever happened to City Of Heroes - my desire to play the game began to tail off just after Architect launched. (Granted, I'd been playing for nearly 5 years at that point).

It just ended up generating Farm maps, then they were nerfed, then another one discovered, then nerfed ad infinitum.

I just wasn't impressed with the change of attitude by the players or the devs after it launched - Positron himself answered a question to me on the Test server during a player meet event that he expected the majority of new missions to come out of the Architect, rather than from the devs. (I don't know if that opinion has changed since I've left).

Sure, I'll play UGC. But given that the majority of UGC content I ever played that was rated 5 stars were giant Rikti/Family farm maps, I don't expect STO will be any different.
From what I understand the main exploit issues with COH's UGC have been solved now. Of course, the damage to that game is already done, but since COH already revealed the problem and fixed it, theres no reason STO cant implement the fix in their system before it goes live.
Lt. Commander
# 158
08-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
My bet would be to flip that around, based on Lexeme's post over at the CO forums. That its most likely going to be an Exploration revamp which will include within it the first partial integration of the UGC system that the Cryptic team is building in the engine.

If what Lexeme says is true (and I have every reason to believe it is) that UGC as such is an ongoing project by the team working on the engine, to be implemented on each game by its team as they see fit, then this would be the most logical way for them to implement it, as the Cryptic team completes their work. I.e. revamp exploration and incorporate UGC systems, Season 4.0 revamp PVP and incorporate UGC systems, etc. etc.

Still have my (completely ignored by the devs) concerns about UGC, but just looking at the data, that's where things seem to be going.
PvP is getting revamped sooner rather than later.

In fact, tournaments, private match, and a new PvP interface should all be coming this week or next.
Lt. Commander
# 159
08-09-2010, 08:55 AM
as long as its reasonably well designed i dont mind, what erked me about the UGC in Coh / cov was that the maps were all the generic giant warehouse,underground complex. There was no real variation between the maps yeah i know the maps were all locked

BUT i would prefer it if we had a more base builder aproach to map layout that way we arnt just going to end up with 500000 different stories and variants all based around the same three map types, IE Memory alpha, terradrome random starfleet vessel.

Thats my true and only concern.
Lt. Commander
# 160
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic_Aardvark View Post

Opposed to the Peregrine Isle Fire/Kin Farms that were 24/7? The Architect didn't increase farming, it just moved it out of Paragon and into other areas. You just hear the spams more now.