Lt. Commander
# 11
08-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
meh if your that crazy about it we could always drag a mod/dev into our missions.. see if they like it etc
Maybe you can has Undine content
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
I guess when it comes down to it how much oversight for CBS/Paramount have on the content that goes into the game. I know they have to run alot of stuff by the suits already so this will be the big test. And sure there will probably be alot of terrible stuff that gets submitted, and stuff thats designed to powerlevel people and the like. We can only hope that they will have enough oversight and manpower to go through it all and give us the gems that are created by the truly gifted people.....and endure the forum gripes of 'y did my vulcan luv slave 6 episode not get put in!!!! fail!!!!
Cryptic will not be able to review every UGC mission, there is simply no way. Think of UGC like this forum; mods cant read every single post. However, we have the ability to report posts that break the rules, and they do review those. UGC will be the same way. As far as CBS is concerned, as long as UGC is done in the "holodeck" and not part of the "real" game world there shouldnt be any problem of canon.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm hoping there's a "Dev's Choice" flag, with teeth. IMHO, UGC shouldn't give rewards unless it's reviewed by a dev or GM, otherwise the database is bound to get flooded by farm maps...
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Maybe you can has Undine content
:O if i can ...

Mission 1. Save Vulcan
*Stop the undine before reinforcements arrive*
*set timer - 1 second*
*Undine reinforcements have arrived*
*Vulcan has been destroyed*
*Mission Complete*

.... though seriously.. i'll think of somthing "cool"
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Cryptic will not be able to review every UGC mission, there is simply no way. Think of UGC like this forum; mods cant read every single post. However, we have the ability to report posts that break the rules, and they do review those. UGC will be the same way. As far as CBS is concerned, as long as UGC is done in the "holodeck" and not part of the "real" game world there shouldnt be any problem of canon.
based on the screenshots... it looks like its in the "open world" to me ... Head to a system, Enter etc.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
I'm hoping there's a "Dev's Choice" flag, with teeth. IMHO, UGC shouldn't give rewards unless it's reviewed by a dev or GM, otherwise the database is bound to get flooded by farm maps...
So something kinda like what little big planet does then?
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
If Cryptic wants to do it right, then they need to have a barrier between the average player and UGC and only allow those UGC that have received the "Cryptic Seal of Approval" be available to the general population.

Turn the rest of the UGC content into Fleet Admiral "Deep Space" sectors. Where you can go and grade them. Those that make the grade and get the aforementioned Seal of Approval then get integrated into your B'Tran Clusters, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Or perhaps deploy them initially to tribble in order to get the feedback and tweak as needed, after being graded 'sufficient' they can move it to holodeck for general deployment.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorethL
If that is legit and the big project for Season 3, I'd be behind it a hundred percent. But I hope the devs look at some of the pitfalls that other games have run into with that (I'm looking at City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies here). The short version is: if there is a way to exploit UGC, players will find that way to do it.
The best way to handle this is make it so that no special rewards can be attatched to UGC missions, so the only XP earned would come from defeating enemies or completing objectives, and the only items gained come from standard loot tables...

Thaty way, someone can't make a UGC mission, stick one bird of prey in the map and award massive XP or loot. The bird of prey would only yield the standard loot, if it yields any loot at all, and it would award no more XP than normal. Run the mission as many times as you want. It couldn't be exploited like that...

the CoX model for UGC originally became an alternative to running core game missions. People flocked to the UGC instances because they could be made with exactly the sort of exploits in question.

The SWG model for UGC is just a boring grind. You've got to go collect all these holocron fragments to use to set objective in your missions. It's not just a matter of creating content. It shouldn't have surprised me, though. After all, SOE doesn't know how to design content for SWG that doesn't turn out to be yet another monotonous grindfest before it's over.

Ideally, STO's UGC will launch with some very stright-forward elements to create basic missions, the depth of which would be up to the mission author's ability to use those elements creatively. Additional functionality and assets (locations, ships, characters, etc) would be C-store unlocks.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Very cool, but so far the tools look much too simplistic and limiting. I like the ratings system though.