Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
08-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStone View Post
No offense, but people actually swallowing this argument is exactly why this issue will never be resolved. The current mmo market is living, breathing proof of that. Content as well as fluff items can and wil be made for any game by any developer as the game matures as people are playing it and paying their subscription fees. This belief that the C-Stores very existence is the only reason that new ships are designed and put into game is utter nonsense.
Agreed, it's just a means to drag in more dough for something that should be put in the game. So long as people keep buying it the problem will continue to exist. If Cryptic seriously NEEDs the C-Store revenue then they're in a lot of trouble and people should stop sinking their money in there immediately. Every time I read about some cool new improvement the first thing that goes through my head is "Okay that sounds great, now is it part of the game I've paid for or is it going in the nickle and dime store?" The same question is nearly always asked of every player I know who stopped playing the game, both lifers and former subscribers. I read about the Excelsior and thought how awesome, shame I'll probably never fly one at T5.

Oh well...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
08-10-2010, 12:40 AM
I fear that Cryptic drew in MT Fans and since they buy from the C-Store regularly, that things will only get progressively worse. I will probably give up and start forking over $$$ for more stuff. If you cant beat em join em eh?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
The only two things I bought on the C-Store, was with the 240 CP from the questionaire.

Between the amount of C-Store items, what has been put on the C-Store, Cryptic's attitude toward the C-Store and the game, and the state of the game. I won't buy anything until I see some serious improvements.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
08-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatici
i wish it was true...however it s the same artist building ships for the C store and for the core game...

anyways if we follow your logic... why don t they put the ships's interior in the C store then ... it must have taken longer to make them than the Excelsior, more personals and was demanded by a lots of players too...Basically if we did not ask for it, they would have never made them. in the same line why don t they charge for the dabo game as well....Hmmm?

I m afraid it did not cost them any more money or time to make the Excelsior than an Undine ship you have been fighting. it s even easier as the Excelsior is well documented... just need to copy it...no need of creativity.

to me a t5 excelsior does not make much sense... even re/retro=fited it should not be as powerful as a sovereign...but some people wants to play with her at high level... fair enough...

Using ship interiors as an example isn't a good idea, because that is something that Cryptic wanted to have in the game from day one along with the bridges.

The Excelsior wouldn't had found it's way into the game before it was needed in a mission somewhere and that could be months/years from now, but thanks to the C-Store we can have it earlier.

Although I'm against the C-Store and has been against it since it was brought up during closed beta, I'm also kinda glad they added it because they have added some nice items to it.

Without the C-Store you wouldn't have had any of the pre-order stuff or any of the uniforms that was only available through the Digital Deluxe (TOS), Collectors Edition (TNG, Voyager/DS9 series) or Life time CO subscription (Mirror Universe). If they had just added all those items for free for everyone after so many of us paying extra to buy the game to get those items then I can promise you there would had been allot of angry players and allot of players quitting the game...I'm still annoyed that they did add them to the C-Store in the 1st place.

Not to mention you wouldn't have had Joined Trill (Digital Deluxe bonus), Borg bridge officer (Amazon pre-order) or the TOS Constitution (GameStop pre-order) for the same reason as above.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
08-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise-D View Post
Using ship interiors as an example isn't a good idea, because that is something that Cryptic wanted to have in the game from day one along with the bridges.

The Excelsior wouldn't had found it's way into the game before it was needed in a mission somewhere and that could be months/years from now, but thanks to the C-Store we can have it earlier.

Although I'm against the C-Store and has been against it since it was brought up during closed beta, I'm also kinda glad they added it because they have added some nice items to it.

Without the C-Store you wouldn't have had any of the pre-order stuff or any of the uniforms that was only available through the Digital Deluxe (TOS), Collectors Edition (TNG, Voyager/DS9 series) or Life time CO subscription (Mirror Universe). If they had just added all those items for free for everyone after so many of us paying extra to buy the game to get those items then I can promise you there would had been allot of angry players and allot of players quitting the game...I'm still annoyed that they did add them to the C-Store in the 1st place.

Not to mention you wouldn't have had Joined Trill (Digital Deluxe bonus), Borg bridge officer (Amazon pre-order) or the TOS Constitution (GameStop pre-order) for the same reason as above.
A lot of that is why I am against the C-Store. I didn't mind the idea but after they added things with in-game effects and the pre-order bonuses, I became strictly anti- C-Store and won't spend any money there.

Stahl's explanation for stuff on the C-Store, that it is needed to justify making the stuff has a problems.

Ferengi, Klingon, and Tellerites were in-game at launch, so chargin for them is stupid, and yet they do. Stahl can throw around all the comments he wants about how it is to "offset costs" or "justify adding stuff" but what it really is is that Cryptic wants more money and is trying to get double profits

A)The way normal P2P MMO's get profit (subscription)

AND

B) The way many F2P MMO's get profit (microtransactions)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Cryptic has done as I feared and begun to take the C-Store too far in scope. I tried to be reasonable and accepting of Cosmetic Items and Character Services. I let it go when they added 'Ship Costumes' even though it seemed a bit too much. I quailed when they introduced Pre-Order Exclusives to the C-Store. When they added the Galaxy-X I almost lost it I will admit.

The problem with MT's is that the scope of the Cash Shop always gets too large. The money provided from MT's becomes so attractive that a developer focuses on MT Content over non-MT Content. A race begins to get everything impulse buyers want into an (usually F2P) MMO. Much PR is spun about 'new revenue streams' to make us all nod, our theoretically capitalist noggins like bobble-heads. They appeal emotionally with "this makes developing more content financially feasible."

Bottom line MT's focus the MM) on a Profit Motive. There is nothing wrong with Profit until it becomes more important than customer service. A company that put Profit first puts its customer last imho. Cryptic is just showing their true colors. They made STO to make money at the core. They purchased the IP to draw in a player base quickly. Now they are going to milk all of us for every penny they can. Try to admit that and not defend MT's as a bold new revolution in MMO's please folks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Cryptic has done as I feared and begun to take the C-Store too far in scope. I tried to be reasonable and accepting of Cosmetic Items and Character Services. I let it go when they added 'Ship Costumes' even though it seemed a bit too much.
...you thought purely cosmetic ship costumes was too much? :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
08-12-2010, 02:20 PM
The c-store will soon have more content than the actuaql game , getting sick of the crap-store now , make this game FTP asap and get it over and done with.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
08-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
...you thought purely cosmetic ship costumes was too much? :p
Well it was kinda borderline to me and suggested it would slide into worse things.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
08-13-2010, 02:01 PM
The reason these ships will a buy only type thing is they need to CBS royalties for using Canon ships. Every ahip that isn't a cryptic original costs cryptic more money because CBS asks for money in return to use the design. The only way cryptic will get most of that money back to recoup the cost of royalties is through microtransactions. CBS has their fingers in this game, every Cryptic original has to be approved by CBS so that there is no kit bashing going on from canon ships that would cause CBS to miss out on any royalties.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:52 AM.