Lt. Commander
On Tuesday I finished my Memory Alpha crafting. I got all the departments done. Yay me. But I was surprised there were no skill points or Accolades or anything for finishing. It was kind of anti-climactic. Yeah, I get it, crafting common items to uncommon/rare "for free" is it's own reward, but it would be nice if there were at least Accolades associated with Memory Alpha.

I got thinking about it and I'd recommend/request the following Accolades be created:

Apprentice:
Complete the General R&D (get all those Uncommon items on the first tab unlocked).
Reward: 5XP, 10 Accoldate points.

Journeyman:
Complete all the items for any one branch of research, including the advance items.
Reward: 10XP, 20 Accolade points.

Craftsman:
Complete all the items for any two branches of research, including the advance items.
Reward: 20XP, 40 Accolade points.

Master Craftsman:
Complete all the items in all three branches of research, including the advance items.
Reward: 30XP, 50 Accolade points. Unlocks Title: Master Craftsman

The XP are optional. I just put those there because I know most Accolades come with a small XP boon. Having these Accolades be retroactive for those of us that have already completed crafting would be necessary.

I think these would be an additional small incentive to use Memory Alpha. And who wouldn't want an Engineer with the Master Craftsman title? Plus, the Accolades could help with the future additions rumored for Memory Alpha. I've heard devs talk about using crafting for ship refits or building starbases, that sort of thing. Make Master Craftsman be the trigger that unlocks access these items. Who would let anyone but an Expert ("Master") build a starbase?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-06-2010, 11:07 AM
And perhaps a passive bonus (1% damage resistance or damage depending on weapon or shield [doesn't stack with multiple instances of weapons]) if crafted items are equipped as a result of said accolade.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Ya know, Great idea here.

Accolades weren't in when I completed my main (and honestly have not bother much with the rest yet). They have said that crafting will be getting a bit more love in the future, and hopefully near future, so I'm holding off a bit on it atm so I can fully go thru it again and fully enjoy the changes.

Great idea here and hope it comes soon, maybe even a ship trophy for full completion,,, Maybe say a table from Leonardo da Vinci's workshop that Janeway played on the holodeck... *drool*
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Accalades is a must for crafting but I am on the fence about how to focus the crafting process. Other games you would only have access to one type of crafting. I know we are well rounded in our education from the academy but we specialize in areas don't we like engineering tactics and science.

I think there could be a special talent or something based on our class or the skill tree.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
Accalades is a must for crafting but I am on the fence about how to focus the crafting process. Other games you would only have access to one type of crafting. I know we are well rounded in our education from the academy but we specialize in areas don't we like engineering tactics and science.

I think there could be a special talent or something based on our class or the skill tree.
Perhaps a modification to my idea above in so far as:

1% damage / damage resistance for achieving the master engineer accolade (or whatever the name is)
and a further 1% ONLY in the tree you specialize in (a player may only specialize in one crafting tree).
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredric View Post
...Great idea here and hope it comes soon, maybe even a trophy for the ship for fully completion,,, Maybe say a table from Leonardo da Vinci's workshop that Janeway played on the holodeck... *drool*
That's would be awesome! Some kind of ship trophy to show of your "tradeskills", would be appropirate, no doubt! And that Janeway da Vinci desk? Sweet!

When I'm playing a game, I like to see a goal, complete it, make another, complete, etc. See progress. See some kind of "score" as I move along. Once I was at Pre Season 2.0 End Game (and am again, more's the pity) I turned to Accolades. I would pick one and do what I could to complete it. Then the next, and so one. All the little 2% buffs and titles are GREAT! I love 'em! Do they really impact the game? Nah. Mostly it's just for a sense of accomplishment and the bragging rights. Accolades are a bit of spice that adds flavor to an otherwise stale gaming experience.

This is my first MMO, but I hear other games have excellent systems. I think crafting could be fun. I'm sure STO will get around to improving their's eventually. I went ahead and completed all the levels because I heard that New Things might be added that could be really cool (no, nothing imminent), and I wanted this Checked off my List.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Awesome idea here. I was so bummed when I maxed out my Physical Science pts and received no accolade for it.

As I'm nearing finishing my 3rd branch, I would love to have some sort of recognition for it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post

Hmm something like say...

Technology R&D:
2% speed bonus for calling in kits such as turrets and generators.

Physical Sciences:
2% bonus to weapons melee knock back frequency

Energy Fields:
2% Bonus to healing

*Used 2 % as it was mentioned elsewhere here, of course i'd love more . And hopefully lined up those trees correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
i guess its cause crafting is not really finished yet but i was disappointed i did not get a title or an accolade or even now a trophy. i put a fair amount of wok into completing that and would have liked something to say i had completed it. it seams an obvious place to put an accolade.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredric View Post
Hmm something like say...

Technology R&D:
2% speed bonus for calling in kits such as turrets and generators.

Physical Sciences:
2% bonus to weapons melee knock back frequency

Energy Fields:
2% Bonus to healing

*Used 2 % as it was mentioned elsewhere here, of course i'd love more . And hopefully lined up those trees correctly.
I hadn't really thought that a Crafting Accolade should come with a passive power, I was mostly just looking for the Title... But I like what Dredric has here. Nice little ground buffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i guess its cause crafting is not really finished yet but i was disappointed i did not get a title or an accolade or even now a trophy. i put a fair amount of wok into completing that and would have liked something to say i had completed it. it seams an obvious place to put an accolade.
I couldn't agree more. Hopefully this idea will gain steam and whenever they do get around to putting more effort into MemAlpha they'll think to Accolade it too.