Lt. Commander
# 1 Problems with GPU Upgrade
08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey all,

Just upgraded form a GeForce 8800GT to a 460GTX. My problem is, even after updating to the new driver, most of the time the graphics are blacked out. I can see names, trays, and bars, but everything else blacks out and chops in and out, unless I have my graphics option set to Low.

Perhaps this is a common issue in STO, but I wasn't able to find the right thread to help me solve this problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Did you remember to plug in all the PCI-E power leads? GTX 460 has 2x 6-pin connectors.

Also, how did you remove your old drivers? Might want to try Driver Sweep/CCleaner method and reinstall it all.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enignite View Post
Did you remember to plug in all the PCI-E power leads? GTX 460 has 2x 6-pin connectors.
Yep. I have one 6-pin on the PSU and am using an adapter that came with the card for another.

Quote:
Also, how did you remove your old drivers? Might want to try Driver Sweep/CCleaner method and reinstall it all.
I'll give it a whirl.

Edit: And it worked! Simple enough I guess. Thanks for the help
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Using an adapter for the PCI-E power is never a good idea, why they even include the adapters is beyond me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
Using an adapter for the PCI-E power is never a good idea, why they even include the adapters is beyond me.
I swapped a PSU from another computer... which apparently doesn't like my old one. It's only 450W, so it's probably time to replace that PSU anyhow. But now I'm running a 1000W PSU w/ 4 6-pin connectors, so I'm set :p

As an aside, it seems like "post processing" is causing all of the light sources to flicker. Turning it off solves the problem, but removes the glowing from a lot of light sources. Is this a known issue or just me?