Lt. Commander
I enjoy Star Trek Online and I can see it having great potential as a MMO, if the developing team takes things in the right direction. The recent season 2.0 update left alot to be desired, and I am hoping the next major update will fix and/or include some of the things that players are concern about.

Now for my concerns regarding ground battles. When I first started playing STO, I went in thinking that the away missions were going to be exciting and full of exploration along with dangerous encounters. I thought beaming down to a planet surface I would encounter huge wild life, strange encounters, battle huge monsters, get stranded at times, and be diplomatic on many occassion. Unfortunately; STO does not deliver any of this.

What we do get are repetitve encounters and scanning quests. Scan that odd freakish looking thing, and scan 10 more. The groups of enemies are the same groups you will encounter 15min later, with something that resembles a Boss with dual weilding pistols, or roc throwing ability.

Even the main storyine suffers from this same repetiveness. Now not everything is completely bad, I did enjoy the Guardian mission, but only when I got the chance to interact with the Guardian itself. Everything leading up to that interaction was pretty much the same.

I guess what I am getting at is that I would love to see the Ground missions more interactive and more evolved. The ground missions has HUGE POTENTIAL, however; currently the delivery is wrong. Make it that players have more monstrous encounters, outlandish and alien encounters, heavy story driven diplomatic missions, and on occasion get the away team stranded. Heck, I would love to see players use shuttle crafts to land on some planets etc...

Basically what I am saying is, make it more TRADITIONAL Star Trek, the vision that Gene had.

I love STO, but I want to see more content as far as game interaction, especially on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-01-2010, 05:35 AM
There's a lot to be desired in the way ground is handled; not only in the mechanics but the themes, styles, and types of missions and how they're implemented. It's suggested that Season 3 might have some changes to Exploration missions and ground missions... but who knows at this point? Season 2 was just released and I find it rather amusing that people are already looking forward to Season 3.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
There's a lot to be desired in the way ground is handled; not only in the mechanics but the themes, styles, and types of missions and how they're implemented. It's suggested that Season 3 might have some changes to Exploration missions and ground missions... but who knows at this point? Season 2 was just released and I find it rather amusing that people are already looking forward to Season 3.
Might be amusing, but also it is a great indicator of the state of the game. People can play it, and with some exceptions, ground combat keeps coming up as the games big weakness.

The OP's ideas are excellent. Shifting away from so much boring GC to in game events with a wider variety of situations.

I'm pretty sure that a fix for ground combat shouldn't be delayed until season 3.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Ground content still feels like an after thought sometimes, and I mean this in terms of more than just the pure mechanics of it's combat engine. Ground content would have been a great way to expand on all those 'unseen' aspects of the Trek universe.

There were a lot of things, places, and animals that got only a passing word because it would have been, for example, impractical to try and show a herd of mammoth-sized alien animals or a flock of "eel-birds" or a thundering waterfall flowing over a glacier or any other such thing on a TV show. The special effects costs would have been outrageous. But in a computer simulated environment the added cost of rendering such things is minimal by comparison.

Ground content would feel a lot more developed and immersive if there were ruins or cities or animals or non-enemy aliens to interact with on these maps.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
Ground content still feels like an after thought sometimes, and I mean this in terms of more than just the pure mechanics of it's combat engine. Ground content would have been a great way to expand on all those 'unseen' aspects of the Trek universe.

There were a lot of things, places, and animals that got only a passing word because it would have been, for example, impractical to try and show a herd of mammoth-sized alien animals or a flock of "eel-birds" or a thundering waterfall flowing over a glacier or any other such thing on a TV show. The special effects costs would have been outrageous. But in a computer simulated environment the added cost of rendering such things is minimal by comparison.

Ground content would feel a lot more developed and immersive if there were ruins or cities or animals or non-enemy aliens to interact with on these maps.
Definitely... though I admit the quality of ground environments has slowly improved over time. There's still a long way to go; but I remember how they used to look after release.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour

Definitely... though I admit the quality of ground environments has slowly improved over time. There's still a long way to go; but I remember how they used to look after release. The biggest problem with ground content is that it's all so... painfully cookie cutter.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Ground missions need variety
08-06-2010, 01:21 AM
I know we are talking about similar things and I would love to see some variety also. Personally I am a big van of God of War and Heavenly Sword type of bashing game play with button combos in the right order for that beautiful cut scene killshot. Or a progressive battle during missions to actually show that after our work taking this area we now have more control over this area. Hell let us leave out more NPC and make it a real PVP, Halo type battle system in certain areas where we are trying to control ACTUAL pieces of the galaxy, by which we get resources for creating better tech or such (like controlling the middle east to get oil for the US). This now gives us the ability to make aircraft, but requires x resources.. thoughts?
Lt. Commander
Another thought was to add puzzles much like the anomaly minigame into the actual missions. Sure collect these 5 peices from the broken base, but build this or fix this or talk to this with real dialog (where you actually have to read the story vs read the green text, kill or scan this) and make a puzzle game out of it. I personally loved Syberia with Kate Walker. Dude this game was not only beautiful but quite fun to play do to the great story, cut scenes and fun puzzles. Not too hard, and not too much running around everywhere. Battles are good, but I want some strategy, I want to use my brain in the game vs having to button mash and work with cooldowns. I know completely different, but just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist007 View Post
Another thought was to add puzzles much like the anomaly minigame into the actual missions. Sure collect these 5 peices from the broken base, but build this or fix this or talk to this with real dialog (where you actually have to read the story vs read the green text, kill or scan this) and make a puzzle game out of it.
An extra mini-game or two would certainly be useful for livening up and expanding the possible ground missions. You could modify the defeat (x) enemies with beat (x) mini-games, which doesn't sound that different except that you now can vary what those mini-games represent a lot more than you can with enemies. A Gorn can only be a Gorn, but a fix / build mini-game could represent fixing a broken phaser bank, building a transport pattern enhancer, repairing a giant terraforming tower, assembling an ancient computer... or any other chunk of equipment you can dream up. With that you can build a greater variety of storylines for missions.