Lt. Commander
Hello all!

Well, after being gone for quite some time I decided, with some fleet mates, to come back and see what has been done.

I have to say the graphic improvements and game adds are nice to see but sadly, most good games are based on design and not a good paint job.

Since this is a feedback forum and not a biyatch session can I make a few points to possibly either make this game better OR the next Star Trek game worthy of the name?

Space Combat:

Sadly, an 11 year old game called Star Fleet Command 1 2 and Orion Pirates http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr...rfleet_Command (based on Star Fleet Battles board game) was and still is FAR superior (light years) to anything in this game as far as PVP or space combat goes. It too, was based on a 2 dimensional plane (yes STO is 2 dimensional folks) but the space combat allowed for different tactics on weapons and ship size. Are the graphics better in STO...absolutely but game design and play are more important for longevity. It also allowed weapons that had different ranges and abilities according to race and allowed for mixed fleets of ship classes without being cookie cutter. I suggest anyone that designs this game and/or others that want to see this game try and get a copy and see what I am talking about.

PVP is rather weak and it has a LOT based on game play (see previous paragraph). I mean, wouldn't it be nice to have fleets that had frigates, light cruisers, heavy cruisers, dreads and carriers? And actually have battles that were based on fleets, and other rather than all the same level ships? The way combat works now the lesser ship is an insta-pop. and that brings me to the ships and weapons.

Combat in space and ships are just messed up. Weapons should not be different levels. May I make a HUGE suggestion? Lose the spell abilities and have all like weapons do about the same damage (have different range brackets perhaps?) and restrict them to race based weapons? ie Feds get phasers only and Klings get dizzys? Ships should just get bigger (more power, weapons, shields etc) not more damage PER weapon.

There is a lot more I could go into detail on but if ANYTHING if you cannot duplicate or BETTER SCF1,2 or OP (Orion Pirates) you are going to have a weak space game because of the sheer amount of loyal fans to these games. Dumbing down the game is not the solution, Perhaps, a possibility is to base the space combat off FASA's Star Trek combat game...would be a HUGE improvement over what we have today.

Ground Combat:

Long, tedious button mashing events that add little to missions IMHO. BTW, I played WOW (which this game is based on) for years and there was actually strategy in ground combat. The only suggestion is possibly basing it off what SWG used to have before the CU. Or, what would be REALLY cool is a first person shooter like Bad Company 2..but that's a bit of a stretch. I really didn't buy the game for ground combat because the space combat is what I like most.

In conclusion, game looks AWESOME, unfortunately when you look under the hood there is a rubber band motor running it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
If there was much strategy in WOW combat we wouldnt have most of it macro'd because its Power 1, Power 2, spam Power 3......

I am mostly negative about the game but I dont see what is really so bad about the ground combat that peopel are always complaing about. I just dont find it that bad. You just dont have 20 powers and need 4 tool bars like some other games. Sure it could be improved but I actually like better than many. And while not perfect I love that the AI mobs arent static. They move around an d are independent of each other. Unlike wow where its tank/hold the spawn and then AOE them all at once.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
If there was much strategy in WOW combat we wouldnt have most of it macro'd because its Power 1, Power 2, spam Power 3......

I am mostly negative about the game but I dont see what is really so bad about the ground combat that peopel are always complaing about. I just dont find it that bad. You just dont have 20 powers and need 4 tool bars like some other games. Sure it could be improved but I actually like better than many. And while not perfect I love that the AI mobs arent static. They move around an d are independent of each other. Unlike wow where its tank/hold the spawn and then AOE them all at once.
Ground combat is just terrible, you dont even have to do anything just let your officers do all the fighting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah, good luck with that on elite.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I call BS back on you. Read my post and you might have noticed what was typed. You more than likely CAN clone one of the already made factions and then edit to your liking. Edit the ship/weapon types available to said faction, make a new HUD, make storyline content for new faction, another shot in the dark tutorial like the Feds have, and maybe make a few new cinimatics and some new speech stuff. I'm telling you this isn't rocket science. Maybe you just suck at playing games under the hood.

In theory if you can fight against said faction in the game, half of the material needed to make this faction is ALREADY THERE. Ships, weapons, sounds, etc. Just some custom content and some other stuff like HUDS and storylined missions have to be made.

So please, tell me why this should take years and why they have to start from scratch when a lot of this is already in the damn game? Yeah... I thought so.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatenshi
I call BS back on you. Read my post and you might have noticed what was typed. You more than likely CAN clone one of the already made factions and then edit to your liking. Edit the ship/weapon types available to said faction, make a new HUD, make storyline content for new faction, another shot in the dark tutorial like the Feds have, and maybe make a few new cinimatics and some new speech stuff. I'm telling you this isn't rocket science. Maybe you just suck at playing games under the hood.

In theory if you can fight against said faction in the game, half of the material needed to make this faction is ALREADY THERE. Ships, weapons, sounds, etc. Just some custom content and some other stuff like HUDS and storylined missions have to be made.

So please, tell me why this should take years and why they have to start from scratch when a lot of this is already in the damn game? Yeah... I thought so.
Someone is typing while smoking a doob methinks.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Having played the entire starfleet command series, I have to disagree. It was a good game in it's day, but STO has better space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramagar-ROK
Sadly, an 11 year old game
X-Wing will still be a superior star wars gaming experience even after TOR comes out. So I'm not sure that's really a big deal there, citing older games you liked.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek99
Having played the entire starfleet command series, I have to disagree. It was a good game in it's day, but STO has better space combat.
Really, in what way? I'll concede it looks better and plays mindnumbingly easy now, but what is "better" now?
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
X-Wing will still be a superior star wars gaming experience even after TOR comes out. So I'm not sure that's really a big deal there, citing older games you liked.
True enough. But my fleet mates and I have been looking for a game to replace SFC for a long time now and so far, not to great.