Lt. Commander
Since the F2P announcement I have repeatedly seen comments on the forums and in game, that keep mentioning this new "pay to win" scenario. There really isn't anything to win within this game. It's not like at end game, you get a prize from Cryptic in the mail. PVP is hardly worth bragging about (not to mention hardly working if at all), and I believe I read somewhere that leaderboards will be coming in the future, however, it is just a number and rank. Big deal. These new ships, devices, etc., basically all of these things that are giving players some "enormous" advantage over other players; do they really make that much of a difference that would make a person "win" faster or get more items than others? Is this stemming from a praise/bragging rights stand point, like "I won, I'm the best"? IMO it is just silly to carry on about such a petty thing. The forum topics pertaining to this make it sound like its the end all. I simply fail to see what there is to "win" within this game, and I have been playing since open beta.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Yeah I'm pretty much with you on this one, but, brace for impact.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-16-2011, 11:56 PM
yeah... you'll be swamped by those who's opinions differ greatly, so be ready
btw, i agree completely with what you said
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-17-2011, 12:14 AM
I guess I would distinguish between pay for advantage and pay to trivialize.

Overall...

My preference would be something like:

STF Gear/PvP Gear/Purchased Gear (10% edge over basic badge gear)

Elite STF Gear/Rated PvP Gear (15% edge)

If people make content silly, facerolling easy via purchase, it feels cheap. And if it tempts me into buying it and I do it, I run out of things to do.

So, really, there. That's the extent of my problem with it and why I don't like it in Zynga games and would like some side quests/hidden quests/legendary grinds/in-game only rewards.

PERSONALLY I don't care about balance a whole lot AS A PLAYER. My biggest concern there is if you're pushing the idea that people should be able to level, gear, and do everything through PvP because it makes life harder on the player who just wants toplay; if the game isn't marketed as offering that, have at it with P2W for the most part.

My big thing beyond that is, assuming I have the money and give into the temptation, I still want things to work for and do. I don't want to feel like I can pay to NOT bother logging in. I'd like the OPTION to earn everything in game first, frankly, but even assuming I buy everything, I don't want that to leave me with nothing to do or work for or the purchase devalues itself.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Songbird-
Yeah I'm pretty much with you on this one, but, brace for impact.
My shields were up before I posted this...I entered the warzone prepared
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
yeah... you'll be swamped by those who's opinions differ greatly, so be ready
btw, i agree completely with what you said
Indeed, opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one, and most of them stink. I have my febreeze in hand :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-17-2011, 01:28 AM
The true solution is to make everything availabmle through loot, crafting AND C-store. That way it becomes completely fair.

Those who never want to pay a dime for something, either on the C-store or the exchange can get it through gameplay.

Those who don't want to get something through gameplay or from other players can get it on the C-store

Those don't want to get something on the C-store or through gameplay can get it through exchange.

In this way, time and money become interchangable.

If a MMO is truly designed RIGHT, then it should not matter how someone got the gear.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Truthfully people are blowing the new X.5 ships way out of proportion. It's silly really but no matter what any one at cryptic does there is always going to be some who is unhappy. And they will armchair quarterback the situation telling you how it "should" be done. Take it all with a grain of salt.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-17-2011, 01:57 AM
My issue is mainly one of precedent, though my other concern of keeping everything absolutely fair and balanced in a pay to play game is diminished somewhat with the free to play announcement.

I have played F2P games where cash shop gear is so powerful they make everything you can get in game irrelevent and in some cases, even your build becomes irrelevent. For a time you can just drop a couple hundred $//etc and just plow through the content like it wasn't even there. However content updates are few and far between because they're to busy re-colouring an old item and bumping up the stats for you to buy. When new content is released, it gets balanced against all this crazy powerful gear and newer/poorer players can't access the new content because they don't have the gear or don't get into groups, not to mention PvP where they just end up face down in a matter of seconds. The playerbase then dwindles as people either avoid the game or quit because they'd rather pay a subscription to get full access to a game.

Granted that's a worst case scenario and STO is a long way from that but it does happen, more often than you think. The games put out by our new overlords at PW are closer to this too so I do wonder where STO is headed now.

OP, you made a point about those who feel the need to beat others to feel big and clever and I agree with you there, but the reason I venture into the competative elements of any game, such as PvP is for the challenge. I'm not bothered about losing because someone has paid a whole lot more than me, I'm bothered about being bored because of it.

Let us not forget the ever changing c-store policy. We were told this wouldn't happen (albeit a long time ago) but some feel they've been lied to, though I'm not too sure myself on this. Also the free in-game methods for these more powerful ships as promised by dstahl havn't surfaced and are not likely to at all going on the information available on the economy revamp, on this issue I personally feel I have been lied to.

As for what there is to "win", I don't entirely agree but that is way too much of a grey and hazy area for me to venture before I've had my fourth cup of tea of the morning.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-17-2011, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
Truthfully people are blowing the new X.5 ships way out of proportion. It's silly really but no matter what any one at cryptic does there is always going to be some who is unhappy. And they will armchair quarterback the situation telling you how it "should" be done. Take it all with a grain of salt.
Amen. I agree with you and the op. So I guess we alll. Better put on flame gear. But seriously to me these fourms seemed to have turned into a piis and moan board and a I hate cryptic board its sad really.
Closed Thread