Lt. Commander
# 31
08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Great idea; +1. This would also give a nice little bit of interactivity to the transporter room.

Extra bonus if there was some ingame mechanic through which you got the new transporter effects, like a random drop or even a craftable item. That way it's beyond an extra option and can add another thing for players to shoot for, but doesn't necessarily go through the C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freduardo View Post
Great idea; +1. This would also give a nice little bit of interactivity to the transporter room.

Extra bonus if there was some ingame mechanic through which you got the new transporter effects, like a random drop or even a craftable item. That way it's beyond an extra option and can add another thing for players to shoot for, but doesn't necessarily go through the C-store.
I totally agree with this..maybe this could be one of the craftable items in our ship interiors? I can understand why we couldn't change the color of our weapons, but the transporter effects are totally cosmetic. Plus it'd give us something to do in the ship interiors.
Lt. Commander
# 33 Gratuitous beaming
08-12-2010, 09:46 PM
/me likey.

On the same topic though, it would be nice if they could turn off the transporting effect when you return to tactical view from the bridge. That's just gratuitous beaming and it makes no sense. Where is the captain beaming to exactly? Is he floating in space just above the ship? Is he beaming to his quarters to take a nap? Thanks but no thanks. I'd take a load screen any day than have to deal with gratuitous beaming. Come on guys. You're killin' me with all the beaming.

P.S. Notice the unhappy emoticon
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingorion View Post
/me likey.

On the same topic though, it would be nice if they could turn off the transporting effect when you return to tactical view from the bridge. That's just gratuitous beaming and it makes no sense. Where is the captain beaming to exactly? Is he floating in space just above the ship? Is he beaming to his quarters to take a nap? Thanks but no thanks. I'd take a load screen any day than have to deal with gratuitous beaming. Come on guys. You're killin' me with all the beaming.

P.S. Notice the unhappy emoticon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6vYKJerstg <-- This could happen.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a total and utter waste of resources. There are so many things STO needs years and years before this.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
So not signed. Its a pretty nice idea if you want to roleplay or simply customise your looks all the way down to your transporter effect.

But doesnt anyone consider that the beam effect isnt cosmetic? Starfleet isnt changing its transporter tech so that you have different sparkles when you go. Its changes to the technology, for practical reasons, like maybe reliability or efficiency. This detracts from realism.

Even if you say that the transporters are just modified to give a cosmetic effect, and the technology is the same, i have to wonder whats the reasoning behind it. Which engineer would get approached by his captain and be told 'Hey, i want my transporter to look like it came from the 23rd century.' For what? Well, in terms of in-game continuity anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
with a very very low priority as in *nice to have* /signed

but first i would like the actual transporter effect to be fixed, i still see flying weapons, Shadows on the ground, strange black glitches in the face of my officers or white glitches on my uniform... etc. etc.

also only the captain should reach for his Combadge, not all 5.

Picard and Riker allways said "5 to beam up"...

when wearing TOS or TWoK uniform without a combadge the captain should take out an oldschool Communicator like Kirk.

....it's mostly the little things that make a good game AWESOME!
...or an OK game good.
/signed on with Z3R0B4NG's post.

I like the idea of player customizable Transporter effects, but there are so many higher priority things Cryptic needs to be working on as Z points out. Get all the bugs out and Fluff like choosing the Sparklies is A-OK with me.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-14-2010, 02:29 AM
/sign yes yes
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-14-2010, 02:37 AM
I just want to NOT beam FROM my ship to sector space, or tactical view...as in after a first contact mission, or leaving your interior... Make my arse have to walk to the bridge or something, give me a door that opens and I can go to my ready room to contact Jiro... AT LEAST stop beaming me out from my own ship...just go to the load screen...please...

But I like the idea of giving my transporter room a real function, and customization settings.
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
So not signed. Its a pretty nice idea if you want to roleplay or simply customise your looks all the way down to your transporter effect.

But doesnt anyone consider that the beam effect isnt cosmetic? Starfleet isnt changing its transporter tech so that you have different sparkles when you go. Its changes to the technology, for practical reasons, like maybe reliability or efficiency. This detracts from realism.

Even if you say that the transporters are just modified to give a cosmetic effect, and the technology is the same, i have to wonder whats the reasoning behind it. Which engineer would get approached by his captain and be told 'Hey, i want my transporter to look like it came from the 23rd century.' For what? Well, in terms of in-game continuity anyway.
Realism in fiction is cosmetic.

I like consistency and canon, but at this point in the game, I really do not understand arguments like yours anymore. Do I really need to post a list of the things players can customize in STO that they would not be able to do in Starfleet as depicted in the TV shows, books, and films? Customizable transporter beams are minor compared to customizing crewmembers, renaming them, and changing their skills when you please.
Closed Thread